Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babamy View Post
Yes, if we were to start Kindergarden in another state like California, and then move to Texas, the child would continuo as started. Now we have so many families moving in Dallas from other states with similar situations. This is a discrimination to the children in Texas, not to have the same opportunity, only because they started school in Texas.
They have the same opportunity to attend school as everyone else. As a parent of adults I can honestly tell you, there is no reason to rush your little one through school. It's not a race. If you really want to start your child early, move to another state and then back to TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babamy View Post
Yes, if we were to start Kindergarden in another state like California, and then move to Texas, the child would continuo as started. Now we have so many families moving in Dallas from other states with similar situations. This is a discrimination to the children in Texas, not to have the same opportunity, only because they started school in Texas.

The ISD will not test children before entering Kindergarden. The first available test is before entering the 1st grade. And it is as hard as the 3rd grade test, impossible to pass.

I was wandering about online schools. Will they follow the same rule, if there is no physical location? Would we be able to start on online school for Kindergarden and then move to 1st grade?

Thanks!
It is not discrimination and honestly, there is NO reason to start a child in kindergarten early. If they are so advanced that they need to be in school, kindergarten wouldn't even factor into the decision--3rd grade or higher would. At the end of their school career, having started kindergarten at 4 can cause more issues then not starting early does. There is rarely a good reason to start a child early like this.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 14,873 times
You may have to look at private school where they may have more discretion with starting early. If the child is capable and can perform there is no reason to wait, it's a personal decision, just like holding kids back a year. All kids are different and mature at different rates.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
As a fifth grade teacher in Texas, I can tell you who has a summer birthday, or who may have begun school earlier in another state without looking at their birthdate.

If your child will be with kids who have the same requirements, then they will always be younger. Some kids catch up, some don't. I have never come across a parent who regretted entering their child a bit late. I have, however, encountered many who wished that they had either held them a year, or that their child had entered at the same age as others. Gaps tend to widen.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times
Just work and enrich her at home another year. What's the rush? I have several teachers in my family and our state's cutoff is December 31st. They all can see which kids started at four. It has nothing to do with academics and everything to do with maturity. While your daughter may be able to handle her peers now, try and think down the road to middle school.

I made the decision with my first born (September) to hold her out and I'm glad I did. She is an excellent students and involved in many school sports. Even with that, girl drama can just be a drain. I can't imagine her being up a grade.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:36 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
As others have said, you can homeschool and do whatever you want. Say your four year old is a kindergartener or a fifth-grader and no one will care.

If your child is advanced, that might be your best option. Otherwise, he/she would be the youngest in class by far, which can have some negative consequences. Also, most four-year-olds whose parents think they are advanced end up leveling out by about the third grade, so by then, you could just put your child in the grade appropriate to his/her age group if you choose to go the public school route.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
As a fifth grade teacher in Texas, I can tell you who has a summer birthday, or who may have begun school earlier in another state without looking at their birthdate.

If your child will be with kids who have the same requirements, then they will always be younger. Some kids catch up, some don't. I have never come across a parent who regretted entering their child a bit late. I have, however, encountered many who wished that they had either held them a year, or that their child had entered at the same age as others. Gaps tend to widen.
I held my son back one year because I felt he wasn't ready for school.
I never regrttted that decision. And many told me back then that I was making a mistake.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

My daughter missed the cutoff for kindergarten by three weeks. On the advice of her teacher we pushed her ahead, after all she was reading chapter books before kindergarten began and we thought it would be great.

Well she wound up repeating kindergarten (after three months in first grade) and THAT was the best decision we ever made. Yes she was academically ahead...in reading. But first grade math concepts were tough and no one else wanted to play princesses with her, socially she was really struggling to keep up.

In 5th grade now she's a straight A student, a leader and a mature voice in her friend circle.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I held my son back one year because I felt he wasn't ready for school.
I never regrttted that decision. And many told me back then that I was making a mistake.
Yes, everyone else seems to feel a need to weigh in on this. We heard the same. But you can't measure emotional maturity in a 5 year old.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,418 times
I would just caution you that I think Texas is a little big unique in regards to holding back kids. I'd never heard of holding back kids when I was in Seattle, Atlanta, or Maryland (although I'm sure it happens everywhere). Only my in-laws in Texas even discussed it for my nephew. I've meet Several parents who not only held back their children so they would start Kindergarten when they were 6, but who also feel it is completely reasonable to hold back a 3rd grader who is at 80%, because "she'll have an advantage if she repeats 3rd grade and really masters the content." So, it's not just boys that are held back because of physical development. My daughter has 4/18 kids in her class that are a year older in 3rd grade (3 boys and 12 girl). There can be a HUGE difference between an 8 (turning 9) year old and a 9 (turning 10 year old). If your child was 7 (turning 8) in a class with 9s (turning 10s) they are going to encounter all sorts of situations emotionally and developmentally they may not be ready for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education