Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:40 PM

813 posts, read 600,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I wonder if the OP will remember this thread if his/her child leaves her locker open and someone steals her expensive textbooks. The poop will really hit the fan then, after she gets a bill for 50-200$ depending on the number lost.
I would expect the OP will ask her daughter to be more careful, but I always expect the best of people!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
It's because you are dealing with little tin bureaucrats! Wasteful, lazy, OVERPAID, gorging on your property taxes yet delivering worthless "educations."

Are you kidding?? Librarians are about the farthest things from "little tin bureaucrats" that can be found in the public sector.

I suggest you visit your local public library and talk with the librarians (not everyone who works in a library is a librarian - be sure you meet an actual librarian, not an assistant, clerk, page, or other library staff member) and ask them about their work and what motivates them. It won't be the money or the power, in the vast majority of cases. It's the great joy of connecting people with books.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Are you kidding?? Librarians are about the farthest things from "little tin bureaucrats" that can be found in the public sector.

I suggest you visit your local public library and talk with the librarians (not everyone who works in a library is a librarian - be sure you meet an actual librarian, not an assistant, clerk, page, or other library staff member) and ask them about their work and what motivates them. It won't be the money or the power, in the vast majority of cases. It's the great joy of connecting people with books.
Oh, I thought seasick was being sarcastic!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
We pay taxes and yet the teachers are underpaid and overworked.... Then they charge nearly double the cost of a book if lost... where does that money go?

School overhead is not my problem. This is about a lost book. I have the book in my hand. I can return it for no fee at all. However, the book is worn, obviously used (probably worth $1 at the used book store) and yet they want to charge me $16.95 to replace it? That makes absolutely no sense.

It's the principle. Are you in favor of everyone being a scofflaw as you are trying to?
The price of the book is in today's dollars, not that printed on the old book you have. The overhead you don't realize is administrative costs. Someone is a purchasing agent and their time has to be billed somehow just as restocking the book into the library. Do you pay taxes? Have you ever asked for a receipt and an accounting of where each dollar went?

Your kid, your problems. You raise your kid to be responsible, not make excuses about "Why me?"

The responsibility falls back on you.

All parents learn it. Wait until it is a big ticket item. Car wreck or something else....

Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
It's pretty simple

1. don't lose your stuff
2. your daughter should pay her own fines

school librarians don't have time to annually adjust in the system how much the actual market value is of the particular book you are holding in your hand. they are busy holding the hands of middle school aged children who cannot figure out how to find and pay for the school property they can't be bothered to care for and dealing with parents like you who can't hold them accountable. at our school library, you can satisfy the fines by turning in any book to replace it, or if so inclined buy the "lost" book and trade it in. to do that, you actually have to TALK to the librarian - she is a very kind and flexible person. there are multiple notices that go out before the fine kicks in - the fine amount itself i highly doubt is actually set by the librarian who is there today.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Books get lost so I am not going to get angry at my daughter... Choosing battles is a skill in raising teenagers! However, I will make her work off any fee incurred.

The point is that the school wants to charge me nearly double for a book that is clearly not worth that much. Imagine if I didn't have the book in hand (which I do) and just payed it. Here I am paying taxes and being ripped off for the cost of a used book.

I find that offensive.
I find it offensive that you think the point is that the school wants to charge what you say is double and that you are being ripped off. The point is that your daughter needs to be taught a valuable lesson, and frankly, I think you need to learn the same lesson.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:22 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
I don't have to pay "overhead" as that is their problem not mine.
Would it be OK if I come over to your house and take your toaster, as long as I leave you a check for the price of the toaster?

Wouldn't you also want me to pay for the cost of your driving to the store to buy a new toaster and also for the cost of your time spent doing so, and then maybe a little extra?

Thought so.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
My Kindergartener paid her own library fine out of her own allowance that she earned with chores. Granted, she only had to pay 25 cents, but that's because she found the book after one day. Because she was motivated to do so.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 AM

103 posts, read 88,573 times
Quote:
She left the lock unlocked during her last gym class. Her fault and I don't dispute that. However, it is not my problem that they have to put a few stickers on a book and catalog it then put it on a shelf. If I have to replace the book it should be at cost with depreciation. However, I would be more than happy to buy them a NEW book (this one is pretty used but not damaged and the same quality as any other paperback). But to charge over the cost of the book is unethical... IMHO
funny, you talk about ethics, but then lose someone's item and then don't want to pay for it...and how is that ethical?

Also, you lost the book, how is that the library's problem?

Do the right thing, man up and pay the fine, geez.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:15 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
The regular library charges you more than the cost of the book as well.

How about you tell your daughter not to use the school library since you have an issue with their rules. As for the lock, you're quibbling over 51 cents. Really?

Quote:
I don't have to pay "overhead" as that is their problem not mine. If it were a regular library (not at a school), they have the same overhead (if not more) but I would only be responsible for the cost of the replacement.

How is it okay (and legal) to tack on $10 and hold her transcripts, etc.

It's not about the cost... I can afford to pay that, but the principle of overcharging pisses me off.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-01-2015 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: removed personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education