Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,056 times

Advertisements

I can remember how to spell

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

But we had to memorize how to spell 20 words every week. Though I could probably spell them I don't remember any other word we were given. I remember that one because I though it was so stupid at the time. I am pretty sure they never asked us to spell FUSION. I learned that word because of the science fiction books I read voluntarily.

Our planet orbits a star and all stars run on fusion but we had to memorize how to spell ANTIwhatever. Mostly our so called educators can't figure out what information is important.

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
I attended very small schools, many many years ago with teachers who actually loved teaching and I have retained most of what they taught. Well except for Math and Science, I just did not have much interest in either one beyond the basics.

History, Geography, and Journalism were my favorite classes. History is ever growing and that keeps me ever learning. Geography keeps me interested in places and culture beyond our own backyards, and Journalism keeps me "saying it better without opening my mouth

Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Zelpha, I hate to say this, but if you're anywhere near my age, it's probably your age.

Here's something I do remember:
When I was 20 I thought I was smarter than I'd ever been.
When I was 30 I thought I was smarter than I'd ever been.
When I was 40 I thought I was smarter than I'd ever been.
When I was 50 I thought I was smarter than I'd ever been.
When I was 60 I knew I was sharper at 50.
And when I turn 70 I'll know I was sharper at 60.

I forget words too. (Luckily my wife can read my mind!)
I don't learn things as easily as I once did.

I often say that I know the information I'm trying to remember is up there (in the brain), but the file cannot be found.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I can remember how to spell

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

...Mostly our so called educators can't figure out what information is important.

psik
I always thought that the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" was a joke...literally a joke word, because it's a double-negative, so basically it means "establishmentarianism." ...Right?

And I agree with you, at least by my experience that our so-called educators can't figure out which information is important to teach.

I'm glad that many of the other posters in this thread have reported having excellent teachers and effective educations! Lucky ducks.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 AM

15 posts, read 12,845 times
I still have retained math, language, history and geography.
But actually I just retained the basic knowledge.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:02 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,135,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I always thought that the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" was a joke...literally a joke word, because it's a double-negative, so basically it means "establishmentarianism." ...Right?

And I agree with you, at least by my experience that our so-called educators can't figure out which information is important to teach.

I'm glad that many of the other posters in this thread have reported having excellent teachers and effective educations! Lucky ducks.
The problem with the word you've cited (and chiefly among the reasons it is no longer used) is because it has no practical, contemporary application for us as we do not have an official state-sponsored religion.

Also, in the broader sense, the word is not a double negative:
  • Antiestablishment = Against the establishment.
  • Antidisestablishment = Against doing away with the establishment.
  • Add an "ism" to either and you define a specific doctrine favoring a particular cause that is currently (or at the very least unofficially pervasive) in practice.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
I've retained

* enough spelling and grammar to know the difference between loose/lose and your/you're;

* enough science to know that vaccinations are both appropriate and necessary for my children; and

* enough history to know that the American colonies declared independence from Britain.

Sorry. just couldn't resist!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
First, let me say that I wasn't a great student in school. Most of the subjects bored me and I didn't pay much attention. Now, 40 some years later, I surprise myself when I know something or some place in the world and I know it's because I learned it in school. I must have been half-assed listening and didn't know it lol.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
My high school education I remember the basics, like algebra and English. History comes easy to me, but I do forget dates. I have a good broad scope of when things happen, but it's not exact.

I probably remember a good 30% of what I learned in high school, 50% of what I learned in middle school, and 75% of what I learned in elementary school. ( it helps that I taught elementary school.) I'm also certified through 8th grade, so I had a refresher during college.

I used to be able to name the presidents in order, but now only the ones after FDR. I can pick out the names of the previous presidents and approximately put them in order, but it's not exact.

I used to be able to name the capitals of every state and most countries. Now that I know more cities in the nation and world, I'm not quite certain sometimes. It seems a bit useless to retain some of this information in the long term.its more about getting a general background knowledge.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
It may depend on how many years since a person graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education