Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The problem with the word you've cited (and chiefly among the reasons it is no longer used) is because it has no practical, contemporary application for us as we do not have an official state-sponsored religion.

Also, in the broader sense, the word is not a double negative:
  • Antiestablishment = Against the establishment.
  • Antidisestablishment = Against doing away with the establishment.
  • Add an "ism" to either and you define a specific doctrine favoring a particular cause that is currently (or at the very least unofficially pervasive) in practice.
Exactly. And people don't ever USE the word in any context. People just use the word as a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Exactly. And people don't ever USE the word in any context. People just use the word as a joke.
Yes, I made a game of how fast I could spell it. That is why I remember it.

It helped convince me that my teachers were stupid.

But it was a Catholic school and why they considered the word important.

psik

Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I have no clue how much or how little I've retained from going to school, which includes a masters degree, plus 30 more hours here and there. Anything having to do with algebra disappeared as soon as I no longer needed it because I didn't want remnants of it cluttering my brain. lol

Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
So are you saying that you've retained every fact you've ever read in your history textbooks from grade school on?

Please be honest.
I have a strong interest in history and can easily say I learn more history every year that I'm alive.

In fact, my wife tells me I'm full of useless trivia.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I agree; my education was just a basis to continue learning the lessons of life.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM

364 posts, read 708,269 times
I don't remember things like chemistry and history....

Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
I have not retained specific facts that I learned. Almost every fact I learned in history class is useless to me now as an engineer. However there is a skill that I learned in history class and every other class that I now use daily. This skill is "how to quickly learn lots of facts that I may or may not have any interest in, and be able to correlate those facts with other facts, analyze them, solve problems concerning them, and report the results." Which pretty much sums up my entire professional career.

That skill can only be learned by practicing it over and over, and if you practice it in school, then you have a giant leg up when you enter the workforce. You can always tell the newbie engineers who have no idea how to do this because they slept through history class.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:08 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I was a good student all the way up through university. I enjoyed school, and I enjoyed learning. However, I have found that certain subjects have almost disappeared from my brain while others remain crystal clear. I don't think it's the way they were taught or the fact that I use or don't use them. It's just the way my mind works.

I loved chemistry, but apart from a few very simple basics, it's all gone. I recently ran across some of my high school chemistry papers and I had absolutely no recollection of what was going on in these formulas or how I was able to solve the equations and get an A.

I disliked algebra, but remember most of it. When my daughter took algebra, I was able to step right in and help her when she needed it. On the other hand, I liked geometry and trigonometry, but most of it is gone.

Details of history are mostly gone, but I have a fair grasp of the overall chronology of the past few hundred years in major Western countries.

The foreign languages I learned (Spanish, German, and Japanese) are still there in detail, and English is all still there. I can diagram sentences; I'm an excellent speller; I remember all those abstruse grammar and punctuation rules.

My dad is 91 and still remembers mathematics and chemistry from his college days in great detail. He can't recall much if any Spanish or German. That's the way HIS mind works.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I retained my High-School diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education