Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM

922 posts, read 807,186 times

Advertisements

Americans have a certain reputation for being stupid internationally. After careful comparison, it is obvious that the American public school system is very easy compared to other countries especially Asian countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
It's what people want. Look at all the threads about taking higher math out of school. Look at the number of parents that want kids to have less homework.

What you see if what people created.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb Why is the Education system so dumbed down?

The problem with public education is the public.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
It fosters "equality" of outcome which is what some people really want when they talk about equality of opportunity. It's consider "unfair" when students who make little to no effort receive lower grades than those who work hard. It's also "unfair" that different kids have different academic abilities. Instead of striving to educate all kids to reach their highest potential, education seems to be about making sure outcomes are "fair". Only way to do that is catering to the lowest common denominator.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM

396 posts, read 410,069 times
First, I don't agree with the original premise. I say this as someone who constantly looks at our international rankings and the disparities that may exist as a consequence of our system; I don't think that the system is "dumbed down." There are all sorts of criticisms that could be leveled, but "dumbed down" isn't one of them. In fact, we are unique among many Western nations in our expectation that all students take some sort of higher level class. Most schools, including my own, are constantly pushing students to take college level courses or courses in advanced STEM fields. Well over half of the student body at the school in which I teach take pre-calculus prior to graduation, and this is in what most would call a poor school system.

The general level of education in the United States is grossly misrepresented, and people buy into it because specious arguments are sometimes the most appealing. Do I have many students performing well below grade level because of failings earlier in their career? Sure. Are some of the things they don't know disconcerting? Absolutely. But you are deluding yourself if you don't think this is a problem almost anywhere around the world. In the United States we have our lows, highs, and middles, just like everyone else. The objective reality is that the United States remains one of the most educated societies in the world, though with some serious philosophical flaws.

America's education system was always one that was meant to underwrite industry, not the other way around. Our motivation has been, and will like always be, the inculcation of capitalistic and puritanical values, and as a nation we are struggling to adapt a system that was ideal in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to the exigencies of the digital age. It isn't a problem of rigor, it is a problem of philosophy.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I don't agree with the original premise either. Public education has, if anything, become more rigorous since I went to school in the 70s. My kids took courses I had as a junior or senior in high school while they were still in middle school.

The public school system works just fine in many areas of this country. Now, we need to keep special interests and politicians from messing with it.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Americans have a certain reputation for being stupid internationally. After careful comparison, it is obvious that the American public school system is very easy compared to other countries especially Asian countries.
Welcome to the education forum! Do you have something to back up the obviousness of our easy system? As other posters have pointed out, America educates ALL of it's students, that's not the case in most Asian countries. My kids also took much harder and more comprehensive classes than I ever did.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
I think the reason we get such different answers is because the actual answer to all questions is "yes." Are our best students being asked to do more? Yes. Are we also pulling the average down so that no one can fail? Yes. In order to have over 50% of all students take advanced math, and have them pass it, you have to bring down the level of material content to less than it would have been had only the top 25% of all students taken the course.

And it's that pulling down the average that most people are talking about. We're setting the bottom half up for problems by our unreasonable belief that anyone can accomplish the same outcome, regardless of innate talent. We have no problem understanding that top athletes perform better than average "joes." But say the same thing about top academics and you'll get a mini rebellion.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:56 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Welcome to the education forum! Do you have something to back up the obviousness of our easy system? As other posters have pointed out, America educates ALL of it's students, that's not the case in most Asian countries. My kids also took much harder and more comprehensive classes than I ever did.
Not only do we educate all the kids, but some states play with achievement figure by not giving the SAT test to all kids.

Here's an example:
North Dakota leads the nation in SAT scores. 1816! Great, right? But that only reflects the scores of the 162 seniors who took the exam. 2%.
Average SAT Scores by State (Most Recent)

Old 08-16-2015, 02:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's what people want. Look at all the threads about taking higher math out of school. Look at the number of parents that want kids to have less homework.

What you see if what people created.

Our education system is a supply and demand system. We supply what the public demands and that ain't much. I wish I'd never gotten into education. I became a teacher to raise the bar but the bar is a limbo bar and the name of the game is how low can you go.

The problem with education in this country is that we do not hold students accountable for learning what we teach. So we have to keep teaching it OVER AND OVER AND OVER because they don't remember it from before. This isn't the case in Asian countries where students are expected to know what they were taught before. Until we start holding our students accountable for learning it doesn't matter what we do because nothing will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education