Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Yes, throwing money at the problem solves everything.

Most republicans I know actually advocate parenting and parental involvement.
Really? I haven't mean an Asian Republican before. lol

As for throwing in money at a problem? How is education a problem?

If you car has a check engine light (a problem), do you throw money to fix it?

Speaking of throwing money to "fix" a problem. Didn't we spend almost a trillion bailing out Failing Republican Owned Corporations?

Aren't we currently spending TRILLIONS trying to fix the Middle East?

We could save trillions if we just left the middle east alone and have tons of money for Education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
And why does the bottom have to pass? Sorry, don't pass go. I knew many kids who got held back, sometimes one or two grades.
My job isn't to teach. My job is to make sure they pass. THAT is what is being demanded of teachers. This is a problem with our system. If I fail too many students it's because I'm not doing my job. Reality is that often it's just the students don't try. You have to understand that what teachers have been tasked with is making sure everyone passes. That's why education keeps getting dumbed down. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The problem with our education system is that we fail to hold students accountable for learning.

This is one reason that I wish tenure were still around. Under the old system once a teacher tenured they could shut the door and teach and if doing so meant kids failed then they failed. Now we're at will employees so we have to do what our boss tells us and mine says that student failures are MY fault and are to be avoided.

Fortunately for me my school has adopted a retake policy on tests where students can retake the problems they got wrong as many times as they need to to get the grade they want. I still have to make sure the students do their retakes but there's no excuse for failure.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Americans have a certain reputation for being stupid internationally. After careful comparison, it is obvious that the American public school system is very easy compared to other countries especially Asian countries.
not really. Imo.

Also many Asian school systems weed out kids to trades etc so it's not apples to apples.

Amazing how many Asians claw to get into U.S. Universities if we are so dumb lol.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My job isn't to teach. My job is to make sure they pass. THAT is what is being demanded of teachers. This is a problem with our system. If I fail too many students it's because I'm not doing my job. Reality is that often it's just the students don't try. You have to understand that what teachers have been tasked with is making sure everyone passes. That's why education keeps getting dumbed down. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The problem with our education system is that we fail to hold students accountable for learning.

This is one reason that I wish tenure were still around. Under the old system once a teacher tenured they could shut the door and teach and if doing so meant kids failed then they failed. Now we're at will employees so we have to do what our boss tells us and mine says that student failures are MY fault and are to be avoided.

Fortunately for me my school has adopted a retake policy on tests where students can retake the problems they got wrong as many times as they need to to get the grade they want. I still have to make sure the students do their retakes but there's no excuse for failure.
People just don't understand the realities. I tutored football players in college that were marginally literate.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
It's because it's ran by the government.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:25 AM

381 posts, read 277,306 times
No need for teachers now.

This is all that is required for future generations.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It fosters "equality" of outcome which is what some people really want when they talk about equality of opportunity. It's consider "unfair" when students who make little to no effort receive lower grades than those who work hard. It's also "unfair" that different kids' have different academic abilities. Instead of striving to educate all kids to reach their highest potential, education seems to be about making sure outcomes are "fair". Only way to do that is catering to the lowest common denominator.
That is how I see it. It's all about being "fair" and making sure no one's feelings are hurt. You see, we have to make sure everyone feels like they're "equal".

You know this is a sign that a nation's got to taking its power for granted. What is vital to a nation should be the survival of that nation. When things start to finally crumble apart, this garbage that people take to be so important isn't going to be so important anymore. When you're scrambling to put food on the table and a roof over your head, the fact that not everyone's being treated equally just isn't going to be all that much of a concern anymore. When people are faced with reality again, they'll realize that life isn't fair and that people are not all equal.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:36 AM

579 posts, read 664,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
not really. Imo.

Also many Asian school systems weed out kids to trades etc so it's not apples to apples.

Amazing how many Asians claw to get into U.S. Universities if we are so dumb lol.
Because their own systems overemphasize one type of learning that may leave gaping holes in their skill sets...

Many Asian colleges are either a cakewalk (from the standpoint of the students themselves) or overemphasize rote learning.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM

922 posts, read 805,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That is how I see it. It's all about being "fair" and making sure no one's feelings are hurt. You see, we have to make sure everyone feels like they're "equal".

You know this is a sign that a nation's got to taking its power for granted. What is vital to a nation should be the survival of that nation. When things start to finally crumble apart, this garbage that people take to be so important isn't going to be so important anymore. When you're scrambling to put food on the table and a roof over your head, the fact that not everyone's being treated equally just isn't going to be all that much of a concern anymore. When people are faced with reality again, they'll realize that life isn't fair and that people are not all equal.
I think there are many parents who are basically delusional about their childrens' intellect.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 AM

922 posts, read 805,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
not really. Imo.

The Asians who claw into US Universities usually failed to get into Universities in their own countries. American SAT math questions are problems Chinese sixth graders get for homework. That is not exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education