Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM

40 posts, read 273,046 times

Advertisements

I am from the midwest and now live in the deep south of Mississippi. I am no english major but most of the grammer and vocabulary used here is improper! Has anyone else ever moved away and lost or started to lose thier accent, pronounciation of words, and sentencing of words. No offense to anyone, but is there anyway to prevent it? I will be moving from here next year and I'm starting to wonder if I will leave with this. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,936 times
Actually I have experienced this. When my husband was active duty (Army) we relocated to Killeen, Texas (I am from Calfornia) I could not understand what they were saying at times, I feel they speak to fast and with a an accent it makes it difficult to understand. I also came back saying Y'all, ugggg, my parents hated this and were ready to tell me not to vist untill I removed this word from my vocab.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Sometimes you don't even have to leave your region, just change jobs. Some companies have such strong corporate cultures they end up all sounding and writing exactly the same.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM

[quote=DD70;2765978]Actually I have experienced this. When my husband was active duty (Army) we relocated to Killeen, Texas (I am from Calfornia) I could not understand what they were saying at times, I feel they speak to fast and with a an accent it makes it difficult to understand. I also came back saying Y'all, ugggg, my parents hated this and were ready to tell me not to vist untill I removed this word from my vocab.[/q]

I know what you mean. My fiance is Navy and we have one more move to do. He was born in Texas and says "yall" and "fixin" a lot expecially when we go visit his family back home. He has cut back a lot though There is a big difference from the way a texan speaks (most parts LOL) and the way someone here where I am now speaks. Some southern accents are very cute, dont get me wrong. Its when words start mixing into other words and getting all jumbled up like scrabbled eggs with a twang! When I first moved here I had a job and was on the telephone a lot. When they would talk I would sort of freak out. I could'nt undertand them. I had to ask them to repeat themselves 3 times. Finally I gave up and gave the phone to someone else.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM

[quote=alley06;2766148]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
Actually I have experienced this. When my husband was active duty (Army) we relocated to Killeen, Texas (I am from Calfornia) I could not understand what they were saying at times, I feel they speak to fast and with a an accent it makes it difficult to understand. I also came back saying Y'all, ugggg, my parents hated this and were ready to tell me not to vist untill I removed this word from my vocab.[/q]

I know what you mean. My fiance is Navy and we have one more move to do. He was born in Texas and says "yall" and "fixin" a lot expecially when we go visit his family back home. He has cut back a lot though There is a big difference from the way a texan speaks (most parts LOL) and the way someone here where I am now speaks. Some southern accents are very cute, dont get me wrong. Its when words start mixing into other words and getting all jumbled up like scrabbled eggs with a twang! When I first moved here I had a job and was on the telephone a lot. When they would talk I would sort of freak out. I could'nt undertand them. I had to ask them to repeat themselves 3 times. Finally I gave up and gave the phone to someone else.

Aww! lol..

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
My daughter is engaged to an Australian. She's been living down there for the past eight months, and already she has picked up a lot of the colloquialisms, though not the accent yet. On an interesting note though, most Americans can't tell the difference between an Australian, British, or New Zealander accent, though I can now because I've heard them enough. I can't tell the difference between Australian regions yet though.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alley06 View Post
I am from the midwest and now live in the deep south of Mississippi. I am no english major but most of the grammer and vocabulary used here is improper! Has anyone else ever moved away and lost or started to lose thier accent, pronounciation of words, and sentencing of words. No offense to anyone, but is there anyway to prevent it? I will be moving from here next year and I'm starting to wonder if I will leave with this. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!
It's 'grammar' and there is nothing wrong with a twang nor regional words such as fixin'. Did y'all ever stop to think we find your way of speaking strange?

You could always move back home and then you wouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's 'grammar' and there is nothing wrong with a twang nor regional words such as fixin'. Did y'all ever stop to think we find your way of speaking strange?

Tsk Tsk temper.. I believe her disclaimer was distinctly stated when she stated that she had hoped her thread did not offend anyone!
And ummm. it is kind of hard to "go home" when your spouse is stationed in a certain location"

Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

If you would read my post correctly, I was'nt trying to start a debate on the grammer issue. I was starting a topic on how to AVOID IT!!!! At the same time asking if anyone has experienced it. Re-read it and then when you have something intelligent to post, post it. Thanks and have a great day!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
My daughter is engaged to an Australian. She's been living down there for the past eight months, and already she has picked up a lot of the colloquialisms, though not the accent yet. On an interesting note though, most Americans can't tell the difference between an Australian, British, or New Zealander accent, though I can now because I've heard them enough. I can't tell the difference between Australian regions yet though.
Australian and New Zealander accents are very similar and I have a lot of trouble seperating one from another most of the time (just for God's sake never call an Aussie a New Zealander or vice versa or you'll probably get a smack in the chops ).

I'm British and I can understand why picking out a particular accent to be British would be tough for a foreigner though. The thing is, despite what you see in the movies and on tv, very few of us sound like the Queen and there are so many different regional accents for such a small country that it can get very complicated. I'm from the Midlands and there are some strong accents (Geordie being one - this is spoken by people from Tyneside in the north east of England) that even I have trouble understanding sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education