Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
..Our kids aren't dumber stock. They're just coddled. American math programs SPIRAL. You touch a topic and move on then come back to it again and again and again and again and again over the next several years. ..
I'm not seeing much of this in HS math, at least not in our district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Ugh. They'll be dumber after a few doses of this.

I'm glad I went to private school and that it was a half century ago. 7th grade: Algebra I. 8th grade: Geometry. 9th grade: Algebra II. 10th grade: Solid geometry and trig. 11th grade: Pre-calculus and linear algebra. 12th grade: Calculus.
My kids went to public schools ~11-20 years ago, depending on grade and child. 7th: Honors 7/8 math; 8th Algebra I; 9th Geometry; 10th Algebra II; 11th pre-calc, 12th Calc. I get very weary of hearing people talk basically out of both sides of their mouths, so to speak, 1-that the curriculum has been "dumbed down", and 2-that "everyone" has been placed on a pre-college track. There were in fact several math tracks at my kids middle/high schools; it was very individualized and hasn't changed much AFAIK.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:35 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My kids went to public schools ~11-20 years ago, depending on grade and child. 7th: Honors 7/8 math; 8th Algebra I; 9th Geometry; 10th Algebra II; 11th pre-calc, 12th Calc. I get very weary of hearing people talk basically out of both sides of their mouths, so to speak, 1-that the curriculum has been "dumbed down", and 2-that "everyone" has been placed on a pre-college track. There were in fact several math tracks at my kids middle/high schools; it was very individualized and hasn't changed much AFAIK.

Depends on how you define "college track".

Starting about 20 years ago where I was, every kid, including those in Special Ed, had to take Alg I, Geometry and Alg II. My system totally eliminated any basic Math classes at the high school level for a few years. Some of that was driven by State requirements (Alg I and Geometry) and some by magical thinking by our serial Superintendents (15 in my 31 years).

We had to have college themed posters and other classroom items (in fact we even, for a time, were required to have a dedicated "College Corner") and were discouraged from talking any other path than college. I was counseled more than once for suggesting to various kids that they might be better served by a Vo-Tech program or entry to the work force after college (I liked to suggest the railroad to many of them).

I've mentioned several times how every reform over the past 30 years or so was aimed at one or two particular student sub-groups. College For All was, too.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Even parents cry foul saying that their child should not be graded on math (or English) ability in science class.
Those must be some really idiotic parents saying that.

Reading, writing and math ability are crucial for understanding science.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I'm not seeing much of this in HS math, at least not in our district.

HS math usually doesn't spiral as much as elementary but HS math has to do a lot of review. Every chapter in our geometry book starts with an algebra review. We stop 4 times a year and take 3-5 days to review algebra concepts that are needed for upcoming material.

I review proportions in physical science, geometry and again in chemistry because my students don't remember how to solve them. They are also reviewed in algebra I. Yet they have no idea what to do when they see proportions in science class. They've been trained from an early age to not learn it the first time and that it will be reviewed when they need it again. This is a case of getting what you expect.

ETA: One of the big issues I see with spiraling programs is that we still use more traditional math programs in high school and students have a hard time transitioning. HS is the first time they're asked to use what they learned before.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-01-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It's more prevalent than you think.

There's a thread right now by a Foreign Language teacher who has a student refusing to do a short oral presentation due to anxiety issues (non IEP, non 504).

Many of those responding have pointed out that the class is not Speech but Foreign Language (the presentation can be in English) and the student should not be required to do an oral presentation.

Students do it all the time. Since History isn't English they shouldn't have to read an assignment or do any writing. Same in Science for that.

The Physics teacher had kids complain about having to do math (at my school Physics was an Honors level elective) with the same happening in Chemistry.

Parents would support that logic when parent conferences rolled around.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I remember my first boyfriend telling me that's what they told him at Penn State orientation in 1965, that half would drop out. DH said they told his freshman class at Caltech in 1966 the same thing...
They told our parents the same thing in the 1970s at our freshman orientation. Must have been a recorded speech.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
HS math usually doesn't spiral as much as elementary but HS math has to do a lot of review. Every chapter in our geometry book starts with an algebra review. We stop 4 times a year and take 3-5 days to review algebra concepts that are needed for upcoming material.

I review proportions in physical science, geometry and again in chemistry because my students don't remember how to solve them. They are also reviewed in algebra I. Yet they have no idea what to do when they see proportions in science class. They've been trained from an early age to not learn it the first time and that it will be reviewed when they need it again. This is a case of getting what you expect.
One of the really great advances I see in my eighth grader's science and social studies coursework is the integration of practical mathematics, which was not the case when my older kids were middle school students. This has happened since the adoption of Common Core, so I think despite the criticisms, it's one area where the kids are benefiting from the new standards.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I agree but I get called out for taking points off for butchering the English language because I'm not an English teacher therefore it's not "legal" for me to grade on English. You know it doesn't matter how good you are at science if you cannot convey what you know in an intelligent manner. The errors I see are run on papers. No actual paragraphs and they read like a bullet point list all smashed together. I love the word issues. I get "air" instead of "error" or the number 2 to represent to, too, or two. I should start keeping a journal of the many ways my kids butcher the English language.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-01-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
One of the really great advances I see in my eighth grader's science and social studies coursework is the integration of practical mathematics, which was not the case when my older kids were middle school students. This has happened since the adoption of Common Core, so I think despite the criticisms, it's one area where the kids are benefiting from the new standards.

This is one reason I would prefer to teach math than science. I know enough science to relate what kids are learning to other areas like science. I'm not sure this is a result of common core though. We're trying to combat our math issues by integrating math into other classes so kids don't see math as something they only do in math class. I think this has more to do with the publishers than common core but I agree with the move. I don't shy away from math in chemistry because I know my students benefit from seeing how math is used but you should see the looks on their faces when they realize they are going to have to use algebra in chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education