Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:09 AM

285 posts, read 262,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
OP, I have a master's degree. I never took the SAT or ACT. My parents pushed me to go the CC route. You really have nothing to worry about.
Unfortunately, neither of mines ever went to college. To be honest, I'm really first generation in three that's going for something that's NOT a nurse. So I had no help and neither can help me as is because they admit education has changed too much for them to be of any real help. Even my homework junior yr had my cousin lost. And she is three years older than me!

Now I was also looking at going to Ridgewater, in Wilmar. That's why I'm worried. Also because I was told, from current and former students, vet tech programs are hard to get in and harder to work with. So I was thinking my ACT scores would be something they'll look at and knowing math and science are what's stressed the most, I was worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Unfortunately, neither of mines ever went to college. To be honest, I'm really first generation in three that's going for something that's NOT a nurse. So I had no help and neither can help me as is because they admit education has changed too much for them to be of any real help. Even my homework junior yr had my cousin lost. And she is three years older than me!

Now I was also looking at going to Ridgewater, in Wilmar. That's why I'm worried. Also because I was told, from current and former students, vet tech programs are hard to get in and harder to work with. So I was thinking my ACT scores would be something they'll look at and knowing math and science are what's stressed the most, I was worried.
Have you considered getting a job at a vet's office? Even if it's just cleaning cages? I would ask local vets what they look for and what programs they find produce the best job applicants.

Where I live, not the land of the 7th grade ACT, we have programs in HS that allow students to graduate with that certification along with their HS diploma.

I'm not sure how far this is from you but you may want to look into it. Good luck!

Veterinary Technician Admission - Rochester Community and Technical College - Rochester, Minnesota

Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Agree. Test-taking strategy is different from "studying" subjects, and is crucial, IMO.
Interesting. Very few kids in our HS do any prep on their own for these tests, AFAIK, and the school has never offered any ACT/SAT prep classes.

My recently graduated daughter considers this to be "cheating".

Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Impressive and informative.

If students make subpar ACT scores, at ANY grade level, they should avail themselves of all resources, including further schooling and coaching sessions. The rewards of an excellent ACT score include admission to the honors dorm, financial assistance, and positive recognition.

You're backing away from the fact that you suggested students raised their ACT scores 10 points between 7th grade and either junior or senior year by taking it multiple times. Of course scores will rise over those years as students learn grade appropriate material building up to the ACT. Did you mean that the children were utilizing practice exams when you wrote that they took the ACT in 7th grade?

To have 7th, 8th, 9th grade students taking time away from grade appropriate subject matter studies to be taught to the ACT test is a disservice to them. More challenging course work should be offered. They should be exploring extracurricular activities, community service (Presidential Awards bronze, silver or gold are impressive), and for the athletically inclined, sports, in addition to their homework after school. They need to develop as well-rounded people. This was advice given to us from college advisers and the HS guidance counselor.

ACT scores alone will not open up the doors to the honors college within the university of a student's choice. Many (where we've looked in the northeast) required a high GPA as well as a stellar ACT or SAT and extracurriculars. With respect to your mention of financial 'assistance' aka financial aid, that is need based. Did you mean merit scholarships?

DD is a rising senior and currently going through this process: high GPA, high ACT, solid SAT, AP, NHS, NHRP, Key Club, concert band, competitive dance. We're in the thick of this process.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:

Speak with an admissions adviser at the school. Explain your circumstances. See what they recommend. You're probably not the first potential student who has been in this position. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Interesting. Very few kids in our HS do any prep on their own for these tests, AFAIK, and the school has never offered any ACT/SAT prep classes.

My recently graduated daughter considers this to be "cheating".
In my school, there wasn't a class on test-taking. We were given instruction in advance of taking standardized tests, that's all, and had enough practice with them that we could take them efficiently and accurately by the time our 2nd crack at the SAT's came along.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Are you all sure that the kids were taking the ACT in seventh grade? More likely, it was the ACT Explore or Aspire test, which were/are grade-level assessments designed to identify strengths and weaknesses and allow students to better prepare for the official ACT administered in spring of their junior year. As for prep, I can confirm that concerted effort does pay off, but it need not be a $3k private tutor. Practice exams are widely available. One of the best collections can be found in The Real ACT Guide. One of my kids used it and got a 29 her first time through after a predicted 24 on the Explore test. Second time through, after several weeks of focusing on her weakest section, she scored a 31. None of that is relevant to the OP, but I thought I'd throw if out there. The ACT is a standardized test, which is both its biggest strength and biggest weakness. It's also very different than the types of assessments given in high school. Preparing with practice tests familiarizes the student with the structure of the test, allows them to improve their pacing, and reduces their anxiety, allowing them to do their very best. It's a mistake to skip preparation for such a high stakes test. I would no more encourage a student to go into the ACT cold than to tell a student that it's not worth studying for an AP exam.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-23-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 PM

635 posts, read 754,019 times
I barely read any of the comments but ultimately it's the decision of the school you want to attend if your ACT score is high enough. If you're aiming for Harvard or Yale, that score won't cut it. My ACT score was 23 I believe. I went to a great university in SC and if I had graduated from a SC high school, I could have gotten a full-ride scholarship.

What really matters now is if your school choice will accept your ACT score. I agree with others in taking your pre-requisite classes at a community college to save on $$$$ and then transfer to a university for your last two years. Your grades in college is what will matter in the end. No job is going to look back at your ACT score. What matters is your GPA in college and any type of extra-curricular activities you did that went along with your degree.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're backing away from the fact that you suggested students raised their ACT scores 10 points between 7th grade and either junior or senior year by taking it multiple times. Of course scores will rise over those years as students learn grade appropriate material building up to the ACT. Did you mean that the children were utilizing practice exams when you wrote that they took the ACT in 7th grade?

To have 7th, 8th, 9th grade students taking time away from grade appropriate subject matter studies to be taught to the ACT test is a disservice to them. More challenging course work should be offered. They should be exploring extracurricular activities, community service (Presidential Awards bronze, silver or gold are impressive), and for the athletically inclined, sports, in addition to their homework after school. They need to develop as well-rounded people. This was advice given to us from college advisers and the HS guidance counselor.

ACT scores alone will not open up the doors to the honors college within the university of a student's choice. Many (where we've looked in the northeast) required a high GPA as well as a stellar ACT or SAT and extracurriculars. With respect to your mention of financial 'assistance' aka financial aid, that is need based. Did you mean merit scholarships?

DD is a rising senior and currently going through this process: high GPA, high ACT, solid SAT, AP, NHS, NHRP, Key Club, concert band, competitive dance. We're in the thick of this process.
In Dirt Grinder's area, it is common for many bright students to take the ACT (yes the actual ACT) during the 7th grade as part of the Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP). Getting a score in the top percentiles for 7th graders makes the student eligible to participate in the Duke TIP Summer Program (and other related programs) that offer classes suited to gifted and accelerated students. I know this because I was one of the kids from the area Dirt Grinder is referring to, and I took the ACT in the 7th grade, and scored well, and went to Duke TIP for their "gifted summer camp". (Which by the way was a fantastic experience that I highly recommend to anyone else considering it.) I am also aware that Johns Hopkins runs a similar program at the Center for Talented Youth (CTY).

It has also been common in this area for the students who took the ACT in the 7th grade to subsequently take the ACT (and SAT) a few more times before graduating high school, in pursuit of the perfect or near-perfect grade. Prep classes are a given. I don't remember the particulars about other kids' scores, but I do know that my overall ACT score went up 9 points, and I eventually got a perfect math score (on both tests). Of course, this was back when colleges did not care how many times you took the test, and only looked at your highest score. Now that colleges are aware of this tactic and look at how many times you have taken the test, I'd bet things have changed slightly.

Also, for the kids being referred to here, most of us had already finished *most* of the material being tested by the end of 7th grade, and all of it by the end of 9th grade. So all subsequent test score improvements after the end of 9th grade were due to prep (aka practice) and maturity. Which for me may not have accounted for 10 points, but at least accounted for 5.

Finally, for the kids being referred to here, most of us took these tests many times of our own volition. It was a bit fun, and a bit of a competition amongst us. And trust me, we were all exposed to more challenging coursework (some of that we were only able to access *because* of our ACT scores) and extracurricular coursework. Kids around here are the very definition of over scheduled, lol.

So quit beating up on my neighbor, eh? You don't have to agree that what we do around here is *good for us*, but know that he's at least telling the truth, or close to it.

Last edited by pkbab5; 07-25-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
Okay so you people adding useless info and arguing can take it elsewhere, you're both wasting space and are not remotely helpful.

To the rest, thank you greatly. I"ll be sure to just take classes in the local community college and go from there, as it seems that'll be the best option for me.
1) Arguing is what we do on City Data. It's what makes it fun.

2) ACT scores are used to get into college. If you want to go to a specific college, then what you do is you contact their admissions department, and see if you can be admitted with your current ACT score (which is very likely at a CC). The only reason you should retake your ACT is if the college you want to go to will only admit you with a higher score. Where you are at, there is really no other reason to take it again.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by pkbab5; 07-25-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education