Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a school be better with uniforms for teachers and children?
Yes, it would be better 9 52.94%
No, it wouldn't be better 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Went to a private school. Didn't matter the gender of the teacher, they corrected students who disregarded the uniform code. Straight to the nurses office to have our parent called. Demerits were common and affected our scores.
As a female we were elated when pant suits became an option uniform.
The boys had ties and us gals had a ribbon tie with our white collared shirts.
Loved the beret hats we got to wear

I recall a principal using marker on our knees and said...any skirt that is more then one inch higher from this dash will.be charged for a new skirt. And they had plenty of sample skirts for us to wear if we goofed. Trust me...a mid calf bulky skirt worn once was enough to make us abide.
I'm going to go back to the question I asked earlier. How did that actually improve learning?

Maybe adults need a dress code, too.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:08 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
There are so many factors that would go into a dress code, I wouldn't know where to begin. And I can imagine the dress code being adjusted from time to time.

I suppose the basic question would be are you in favor of a strict dress code or a liberal one? What are your viewpoints?

EdX
When I was in high school, we set our own dress code, which was to be as neat and properly-dressed as possible, based on our individual tastes. No one ever had to say a word to us, about inappropriate clothing.

But if you visited that same high school today, it would look like a freak-show or a zoo. If it were a movie, the attire would be rated XXX at the beginning of the day and maybe down to just one X by noon, as the administrators and teachers bravely work to ban the most revealing and outrageous outfits. And this is one of the highest-rated high schools in the country, for academic achievement. My implied criticism seems not to be correlated well with how good they are at learning.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:49 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm going to go back to the question I asked earlier. How did that actually improve learning?

It doesn't improve learning - its gives the school administrators, teachers, principals, etc. what they think is power. Some of them have this need to control others.

We wouldn't need dress codes at all if parents set the rules at their own house but these days there are too many lazy parents who don't care what their kids wear. You would never have seen kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and even 80's go to school the way some do now. I sure as hell wouldn't allow my 16 year old daughter to leave the house looking like a hooker. Unfortunately schools have had to become the parental authority when the parent(s) fail to do their job.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It doesn't improve learning - its gives the school administrators, teachers, principals, etc. what they think is power. Some of them have this need to control others.

We wouldn't need dress codes at all if parents set the rules at their own house but these days there are too many lazy parents who don't care what their kids wear. You would never have seen kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and even 80's go to school the way some do now. I sure as hell wouldn't allow my 16 year old daughter to leave the house looking like a hooker. Unfortunately schools have had to become the parental authority when the parent(s) fail to do their job.
I rest my case about double standards.

Actually, my brother wore a T-shirt to school in the 60s that said "Budweiser, breakfast of champions" and received no repercussions. Re: yoga pants, back in the 90s stirrup pants were popular at my kids' school and were acceptable.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I said daughter because the girls are the most frequent offenders. The worst on the boys I've seen at my sons' school was the gangster wannabe's with their pants hanging off their ass exposing most of their underwear.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I said daughter because the girls are the most frequent offenders. The worst on the boys I've seen at my sons' school was the gangster wannabe's with their pants hanging off their ass exposing most of their underwear.
LOL! I repeat, "Evil, thy name is woman".

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,290 times
Quote:
Women tend to be "frequent offenders" because they typically have a more extensive dress code. I'm not anti dress code, I'm anti women shouldn't wear X because it's revealing and might distract boys from their learning. That's just bull.

I went to a school with a dress code, it wasn't terribly restrictive, pretty much business casual. Know what I wore to class my first day of college? Casual clothes, t-shirts, sweats, shorts etc... Never once did it negatively impact my education.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

Well, as a former school administrator...I guess I didn't need that false power. It's not to say there were no standards. You couldn't wear pajamas in my school. No butt cracks showing. And there were times I called parents and said that they needed to rethink their child's clothing.

It was sort of along the same lines as chewing gum. I had a faculty, some of whom obsessed over gum chewing and why wouldn't I suspend children who chewed gum. So we took a survey of the faculty, and a third of the faculty chewed gum in class. And you're right...it was all about power and having rules for the sake of having rules.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My problem with Catholic school uniforms is that they require boys to wear a tie, while allowing girls to wear relatively comfortable clothes. Since I know somebody is going to compare a tie to high heels or a corset: there are likely no Catholic (or other) schools requiring girls to wear high heels or a corset. And, if such a dress code existed, I would very strongly oppose it, and I hope everybody else would.

Maybe they can have a male enforce the dress codes for boys, and a female address the dress codes for girls.

Again, not true. If anything, dress codes disproportionately affect boys and men by requiring ties, while allowing girls and women to wear at least somewhat comfortable clothing.
In our public schools, ties are not worn. Our dress code here is bermuda shorts or long pants or jeans with a polo shirt in specific colors for both boys and girls. No sandals or open toed shoes for either boys or girls. Mostly, tennis shoes or sneakers are worn. The one annoying thing is that no shorts are allowed for 5th grade and up, so only pants and being in Texas, that makes no sense to me. Skirts and dresses are not allowed to be more than 3 inches above the knee, but most of the kids do not wear skirts or dresses here. All of these have to be solid colors and jeans and pants can only have decorations on the pockets. There are other things, but they mostly affect girls not boys which is quite normal for most school dress codes in public schools.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:18 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Many years ago, the principal of our school sent a letter to every parent at the beginning of the school year, on the topic of appropriate modes of dress for school. While I can't recall the exact verbiage of his letter, it contained thoughts along these lines:

This is a school, not a beach resort, nor an oil change facility, nor a venue for a rock concert, nor a burlesque theater, and as a result I don't expect to see your child wearing clothing that would be appropriate for a beach, or a garage, or a rock concert, or a strip-tease show. If I do observe any of those types of garb, I will send your child home so that he/she can don attire that is appropriate for a school environment. Additionally, any clothing that is excessively soiled, or that displays obscene words or offensive images will be deemed inappropriate, and the child will be sent home. I welcome your questions regarding this topic, but I also expect compliance with these rules.

Overall, he was not an effective principal, but I think that his communication regarding appropriate modes of dress for school was very well-done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education