Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times

Advertisements

Drop out at 16 to get my ged and start working. High school was useless and pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 AM

75 posts, read 43,844 times
After spending so much time getting several graduate degrees, I realize that the HS I went to did nothing to help me with my educational journey. I would have quit at 16, got a GED and then headed to the local community college. I was never asked for HS records past community college, no one cared. If my parents could have sent me to a great private school, then maybe I would have a different perspective. HS was a waste of time and put me in danger daily. Drugs, alcohol etc. was everywhere. HS again, no thank you.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
After spending so much time getting several graduate degrees, I realize that the HS I went to did nothing to help me with my educational journey. I would have quit at 16, got a GED and then headed to the local community college. I was never asked for HS records past community college, no one cared. If my parents could have sent me to a great private school, then maybe I would have a different perspective. HS was a waste of time and put me in danger daily. Drugs, alcohol etc. was everywhere. HS again, no thank you.
I sorta agree. I had to go "the scholastic - go to professional school" route. My parents wanted a doctor in the family. Once my hormones kicked in (12 yrs old) I could have took it or left it, frankly.

Except for the Viet Nam draft, I'd a let my dad put me in the car and drive me off to do an apprenticeship in tool & die. $35/hr + UAW bennies for life, in the 70's, was big money. I also would have made a good 'lass-trician." Big money there, too. Still is.

I hated school. In the 9th grade I specifically remember counting how many days until my HS graduation. But, no. We had to go to college - and not to major in some sheetball thing like journalism either. You wear a white coat or we'll not pay for it. I spent 10 years in college (got 4 degrees, including 2 doctorates, but wasted the best years of my life in the process). I could have got me the straightest hunk and turned him sweet. Effortless. "Ancient Greece". I don't know why. It's just the way it was.

When I think of all the hunky guys in the machine shops and factories I worked in during the summers back in the 1970's, I'd a surely had me a hubby, now probably on our 40-something anniversary. A decent life, nobody elses business. But, no. I had to do what they insisted I do, keep a low profile, talk to none of the maintenance men at work for like, 30 years. Just be professional. Pfft.

When you're in your 60's, it's long gone. I coulda got me a hunky man to have and to hold (in those days I was thoroughly capable of converting a lot of men who I'm sure, reluctantly went on to marry some chick) with almost no effort. What Manson was to chicks, I was to men. And then, the men's rooms in those factories was little short of a back room at the Mineshaft. Stupid, stupid, stupid...that's all I got to say (about myself). And BTW, "Gay Pride", etc. had absolutely nothing to do with it. Very "boy crazy", but very private. I sometimes see a few of those guys these days, 45 years later, married, lousey kids, fat, mean wife, in our private meeting spots. But, too late now.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-12-2017 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
great question.. I had decent enough grades, sure they could have been better but studying and class work was not really my problem. I was a bit shy and have since over come most of it.. i think if i were able to go back, with the same sense of confidence I have today... i would have been a bit more outgoing.. more involved with clubs... but in particular I would like to go back just to ask out this one girl who sat behind me in 11th grade English class. She was super nice to me and I had a major crush on her but I never had enough courage to say more than a few words to her each day.

I laugh about it now.. but many days i would rehearse this long spiel that I wanted say to her but i could never get it out of my mouth. I distinctly remember one day we had a spelling B contest in English class. Everyone had to stand up at their desk and the teacher would ask you to spell a word and if you got it wrong, you would sit and the student behind you would have to spell it, the last one standing won.. Well, this one word knocked out an entire row and then the teacher got to me.. i spelled it correctly (after so many WRONG guesses, it was kinda hard not to) well the girl behind me squeezed my shoulder and whisper 'Way to Go'.. .perhaps she was just happy she didn't have to spell it (doubtful, she was really smart) but that's just the way she was.. super NICE! I nearly fell to the floor when she did that.. Its funny what you remember from 35 years ago!
Maybe she liked YOU too but in those days, girls weren't supposed to make the first move. Maybe that hand on your shoulder was her move/signal to you but you didn't follow up on it. Too bad.

I would have stuck to the books more, dumped my bf to go to college and get a career.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I wouldn't have changed much, but it would have been nice to know that high school boys are self-centered hormone driven little ****s that haven't figured out yet that girls are human beings, too.

I would have chosen a different college and a different college major. Getting as far away as possible from parents would be given less weight in college selection.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Honestly, absolutely nothing. I have no regrets. I got good grades. Didn't have many friends, but that's OK because if I had to redo it, it would be the same classmates/people, so I wouldn't change my character one bit. I wasn't into boys much really and didn't care because my life wasn't about that..

Old 01-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
I would have gone to a different HS. I was accepted to Bronx Science but just had to go to the HS my friends were going to. That was important then, but looking back it wasn't the right decision even though things worked out well for college etc.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
i would buy that 69 BOSS 429 mustang that i passed on .. worth 1/4 million today ..

Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
I would have taken my academics and tests more serious, tightened up my circle of friends, and wouldn't bother with a hefty chunk of people I got to know during those years. With the academics, I put forth only half effort and managed to graduate with a 3.5 GPA. That was with a mix of regular and AP courses.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Drop out

I have no desire to encounter high school bullies again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education