Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times

Advertisements

I know the curriculum might vary by state, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in how 7th Grade PE is taught? The first 2 quarters were spent doing physical activity in the gym. In the third quarter, they have moved on to classroom time learning about health. The teacher is showing videos of animals being slaughtered in very cruel ways. Is this normal to show 12 and 13 year olds? Several children have been shaken up and crying in class. My child cannot eat lunch afterwards and is still shaken up. I am sure there are more productive ways to show how we get our food supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I know the curriculum might vary by state, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in how 7th Grade PE is taught? The first 2 quarters were spent doing physical activity in the gym. In the third quarter, they have moved on to classroom time learning about health. The teacher is showing videos of animals being slaughtered in very cruel ways. Is this normal to show 12 and 13 year olds? Several children have been shaken up and crying in class. My child cannot eat lunch afterwards and is still shaken up. I am sure there are more productive ways to show how we get our food supply.
In our middle school (where I was principal before retiring) that kind of material would not have been in the health curriculum. You might want to meet with a school administrator and ask to review the curriculum guide for health. While teachers have some leeway, there are often approved curriculum materials, particularly in health. It sort of sounds as if this could be a "cause" by one particular teacher. There may also be a possibility of opting your child out of health or particular activities in health, although I rarely recommend that.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In our middle school (where I was principal before retiring) that kind of material would not have been in the health curriculum. You might want to meet with a school administrator and ask to review the curriculum guide for health. While teachers have some leeway, there are often approved curriculum materials, particularly in health. It sort of sounds as if this could be a "cause" by one particular teacher. There may also be a possibility of opting your child out of health or particular activities in health, although I rarely recommend that.
Thank you, that was exactly what I was thinking regarding the "cause" part. I have already told the Ass't Principal that I object to my child viewing any more of these videos and suggested an alternate assignment for students who want to opt out as well.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
That has nothing to do with health and PE. It sounds like the teacher has a personal agenda. What's s/he trying to do--turn the entire class into vegetarians? Ask the principal if this is part of the curriculum and education goals of the school. My guess is that he'd be interested to find out what's going on in that class.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That has nothing to do with health and PE. It sounds like the teacher has a personal agenda. What's s/he trying to do--turn the entire class into vegetarians? Ask the principal if this is part of the curriculum and education goals of the school. My guess is that he'd be interested to find out what's going on in that class.
I agree. I have never heard of anything like this in a middle-school health class.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:41 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Having said all of the above, stacking PE and Health consecutively has pretty much become standard.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
No, Its Not Normal for middle school (or any K-12 General Ed School). {The slaughtered video's}

When my son was in Middle school he had 3 units of PE, 1 Unit of health each year (3) , In HS he was only required one Year of PE & Health. (Two quarters of PE, One quarter of Health, One quarter of Classroom "Behind the Wheel")

Parents were provided the Health Class syllabus on a (week) Class by Class basis in advance, (Sent right before school started), and you could opt out of any class, The student was given a alternate assignment in a separate classroom.

I opt'ed my son out of three weeks of assignment, in 7th grade, since it was dealing with issues that are/could be trigger points in my son's FosterCare background. (I adopted him from FosterCare). For those classes he was actually in this math teachers classroom, did a few worksheet that took 5-10 minutes each, then his Math teacher was giving him some extra help in Math, or had him doing things like making copies (Seem alot of the teacher started using him as Xerox Boy for that three weeks) , Organizing books, few times she sent him to the gym where the PE class was playing basketball or dodge-ball.

Last edited by flyonpa; 02-10-2017 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
PE in MS often includes health, which often includes healthy eating habits and sex ed, but nothing like what you're describing

Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
THIS!!! Showing animal slaughter to kids is just plain WRONG!!!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:52 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,557 times
Well, meat and poultry doesn't just materialize on shelves in shrink-wrapped packaging, but I don't think schools would want to tell kids how their hamburgers, chicken nuggets, Thanksgiving turkeys and so forth get to their table in such a graphic manner.
I've never heard of slaughterhouse videos shown to a captive audience of kids in health class or opt-in field trips to slaughterhouses. It does sound to me like that teacher has an agenda and somebody needs to talk to him or her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education