Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

A kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.

Michelle Barile, the mother of 6-year-old Bryan Ruda, said nothing in the Parma Community School handbook prohibits the haircut, characterized by closely shaved sides with a strip of prominent hair on top. The school said the hair was a distraction for other students.

FOXNews.com - Ohio Kindergartener Suspended for Mohawk - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
It's no wonder our country is going south in a hand basket. This is ridiculous. Schools need to get specific if they are going to be this petty. It couldn't be that long. If schools spent more time teaching and less time policing stupid things like this, maybe we wouldn't be rapidly becoming the dumbest nation around.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,523 times
Thumbs down Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.

Michelle Barile, the mother of 6-year-old Bryan Ruda, said nothing in the Parma Community School handbook prohibits the haircut, characterized by closely shaved sides with a strip of prominent hair on top. The school said the hair was a distraction for other students.

FOXNews.com - Ohio Kindergartener Suspended for Mohawk - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Oh my~ Now that is really pushing it. Ya know,our guys made a deal with the coaches. If the our guys won the state game we were in, then the coaches would all wear mohawks and painted red. They did and they did, for weeks past.

However, at the same time, the administration forced a girl to quit her senior year. WHy? Because her hair was dyed too red for them. She was a nice girl, well liked by everyone. It was terrible. It upset the whole high school, but administration did not care.

So what do you think about this greatday?

My son has worn a mohawk off and on since he was 5. Never had this problem. Thank God.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,110 times
My son had a mohawk for a while when he was in 1st and 2nd grade. That was back in '89 and '90...and there wasn't a problem with it at all. He loved it. Hair is an easy way for a kid to express their individuality without permanent consequences.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:25 PM

621 posts, read 3,206,874 times
Everyone has said what I feel.

This is ridiculous. We have serious issues in our schools if they suspend a kid for a mohawk. Instead of wasting time policing hair, they should be more focused on educating the kids.

Is this why so many of our children are still being left behind???

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
If schools spent more time teaching and less time policing stupid things like this, maybe we wouldn't be rapidly becoming the dumbest nation around.
Remember that most of these other countries that ARE outperforming ours in educatioin ALSO have MANDATORY uniforms. Most schools in the U.S. do not. Just something to think about.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
I'm all for uniforms. I wish my son's school would do it. I get tired of fighting over clothes everyday! He's wanted a mohawk forever and I just won't give in. I don't like them. But the kindergartner should NOT have been suspended for having one. That's just my preference.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Oh my~ Now that is really pushing it. Ya know,our guys made a deal with the coaches. If the our guys won the state game we were in, then the coaches would all wear mohawks and painted red. They did and they did, for weeks past.

However, at the same time, the administration forced a girl to quit her senior year. WHy? Because her hair was dyed too red for them. She was a nice girl, well liked by everyone. It was terrible. It upset the whole high school, but administration did not care.

So what do you think about this greatday?

My son has worn a mohawk off and on since he was 5. Never had this problem. Thank God.

There was a girl around our area that had natural white blonde hair but the rest of her family ALL had red hair. In the article she said she always felt odd even with her OWN FAMILY and people always gave them funny looks like mom cheated or something. She finally after many years talked her mom into letting her color her hair the same red as hers. Now moms hair was a BRIGHT RED (saw in the picture and on the news) and that was their NATURAL hair color in THEIR family. The girl had WHITE blonde hair, you know the kind that people that have albino tendencies have. Well the first time round it did not come out right. It looked pink so they tried again and it came out w/ SOME orange in it but still had some pink. This was over a weekend I believe so she went to school on Monday and got sent home and told to have it fixed before returning back to school. The mom was upset as was the girl over the color her hair came out but when you have that color blonde trying to get the BRIGHT RED natural hair of your mom........ it is HARD! And I'm no color hair expert and I realize it so I don't believe what the school did was right at all. The mom was afraid to color her hair again for fear of really damaging her hair. The school wanted it a "natural" color. Well HECK, the girls mothers NATURAL hair color is BRIGHT RED!!! This was just a few weeks ago and I don't know what came of it but I totally sided w/ the mom on this one. It was not like she was trying to get her hair PINK or green on purpose. She just wanted the same NATURAL red hair as the rest of her family.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm all for uniforms. I wish my son's school would do it. I get tired of fighting over clothes everyday! He's wanted a mohawk forever and I just won't give in. I don't like them. But the kindergartner should NOT have been suspended for having one. That's just my preference.
You and me both. Try dealing with girls when it comes to clothes................ urgh..... Boys have it SOOOOO much easier.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
"why do schools care more about your sons braids more than they care about his grades?" Jadakiss- Why

No wonder our schools are going in the toilet. What does it matter about their looks if they are learning valuable knowledge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education