Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,073,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Life must be very simple for you...follow the rules without question or complaint and true happiness is yours!

Except when rules change...you've "arranged" your life around a chosen school based on the current rules and then those rules change without notice and certainly without consultation. When processes are set up like that then disruption is bound to occur.

You can SAY it's easy, just switch schools but the effects ripple outward. But you're right, the option then is to acquiesce.

I agree, that it smacks a bit of communist china groupthink, doesn't it? Being a mindless sheep doesn't really sit well with me.

What if some parents stocked up on new uniforms on sale at the end of last year? It would be more fair to implement the policy over a period of time. Many magnet schools choose students by lottery, so it is not always easy to just switch a child from one to another.

Like I said before, I would acquiesce, but I would be a part of a parent group to discuss and perhaps modify the policy.

And nobody has even mentioned the black shoes. I am trying to picture black, children's shoes, and I can't even, except patent leather or ballet flats, neither seeming to be a good choice for schoolwear. Shouldn't kids be able to wear nice supportive sneakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
there is no lack of supply of school shoes in black. My son has to wear shoes, no sneakers, as part of his uniform and wears this type. He actually finds them more comfortable than sneakers because they are easier to get on and off.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COCIVKS/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
there is no lack of supply of school shoes in black. My son has to wear shoes, no sneakers, as part of his uniform and wears this type. He actually finds them more comfortable than sneakers because they are easier to get on and off.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COCIVKS/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Well that's good. I am a huge believer in very sturdy, supportive shoes for kids, so as long as they are, I'm good.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM

189 posts, read 110,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And the fact that some schools now call a Christmas party a "winter party" and a Halloween party a "fall party" is just ridiculous. This happened when we lived in Illinois (a blue state). We have since moved to Indiana (red state) and we can call the parties by their original names again. Sorry, but if you're that offended just by what they name the party then send your child to a private school that caters to your specific religion. You never heard of things like this when I was younger 30 years ago. Now a days it's just getting out of hand!
I'm not sure I understand. What does red or blue have to do with respecting the beliefs of those different from you? Why would a Hindu or Jewish child want to attend a Christmas party? Is it optional? is there a party for them? Should they just suck it up and celebrate your religious holiday?

What is getting out of hand?
Would you want your child participating in the Ramadan fast?
Why should another parent send their child to a school that caters to their specific religion (at great cost above and beyond the taxes they already pay) but you should not?
What part of the 1st amendment do you not get?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No problem. As long as you teach an equal amount about Lord Buddha.
And Mohammed.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, if Lord Buddha has had as significant an impact on human history, then certainly, teach about him to that same extent. I don't believe the world measures time - and has done so for thousands of years - by when Buddha appeared, and frankly I don't even know if Buddha was a person, but if so, yes, teach his history in an equal amount.

Yes. Every event that has had a profound affect on human history should be taught.

All of us can name the inventor of the cotton gin by name, because we learned it in 7th grade history - why shouldn't world history teach about humans who changed the course of humanity for the last two thousand years?
Roflmao!

You need one of those history classes. The world doesn't measure time because of Jesus influence but rather the conquering nature of his followers. The entire world Arabic numerals, should we give that credit to Mohammed?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
As promised - here is the dress code from the handbook:

Shirts must be collared with 3 buttons.
  • Polo shirts must be red, gold, or royal blue and embroidered with the school name and logo.
  • Shirts must be sized to allow for a 3-4 inch overlap to be tucked into the uniform pants.
  • All shirts must be correctly tucked inside pants at all times and secured in place with a belt.
Bottoms:

Pants / skorts (skorts are worn in grades PreK-2nd) navy blue or khaki
  • Belts must be worn at all times. They must be plain, black, and fastened securely at waist level.
  • Pants must be fitted to student correctly
  • Pants that are too tight, too big, frayed, torn,or distressed are not acceptable and will be deemed in violation of the uniform code. Low pants are not acceptable.
  • Pants may not have cargo pockets, unusual tailoring and/or labels.
  • Jeans are not allowed (unless special permissionis given by the principal).
Sweaters:

Uniform Sweaters must be solid royal blue, gray, black, or red with the school’s logo. No hooded sweaters and in the absence of a uniform sweater, only solid colored sweaters (royal blue, gray, black, or red) without lettering or brand logo maybe worn.

Undershirts:
  • Undershirts, if worn, may only be red, gold, or royal blue and must always be tucked inside of the pants.
  • During cool weather a plain red, gold, or royal blue long sleeve or turtle neck may be worn underneath uniform shirts.
Shoes:

Black closed toe shoes or sneakers must be worn.
  • No sandals, crocs, boots, heels, or platforms hoes are allowed.
Spirit/Club Shirts & Jeans:

These items are limited to pre-designated days.
  • Only long blue jeans are allowed on Jeans Days for a $1. If your child does not provide his homeroom teacher with a $1 for Jean Day, your child will be asked to call home for a change of clothing.
  • Jeans with holes are not acceptable.
Seems like a perfectly acceptable uniform dress code for a school of choice.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You're very rude and need to learn some manners. You have no idea why this child is being raised by grandparents. You are assuming we are meddling but as usual from most of your rude posts, you have no clue. Frankly I'm sick of your posts and thankfully I won't have to see them anymore. Buh Bye.
This child is being raised by the OTHER grandparents, not you.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Seems like a perfectly acceptable uniform dress code for a school of choice.

I'm fine with it, and generic holiday celebrations.

Heck, I HATED our Catholic school uniforms - no one cared.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
I'm not sure I understand. What does red or blue have to do with respecting the beliefs of those different from you? Why would a Hindu or Jewish child want to attend a Christmas party? Is it optional? is there a party for them? Should they just suck it up and celebrate your religious holiday?

What is getting out of hand?
Would you want your child participating in the Ramadan fast?
Why should another parent send their child to a school that caters to their specific religion (at great cost above and beyond the taxes they already pay) but you should not?
What part of the 1st amendment do you not get?
Actually, I remember my kids' school having a Hanukkah party back in elementary school, with little games and traditional food. This is not a community with a large Jewish population, either.

And for the Nth time, the OP was complaining about there NOT being Christian songs at the winter party, not the other way around! The school is not encouraging religion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education