Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 05:34 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My son got suspended twice. Once, he was in 6th grade, leaning on the sink in the boys bathroom and the sink came off the wall. The sink was faulty but the principal declared my son destroying school property. When it fell, He quickly turned around, caught it so it wouldn't fall, and told another kid to get help. I was furious. This was a new principal at a small catholic school. My son had never ever been in the principals office until this. He got a 3 day out of school suspension.
In 8th grade, same son was going on a sea cadet drill weekend and had his NWU pants on. Unknown to him, he had a small pocket knife in his pocket. When he stood up, it fell out. Another child saw it and gave it to the teacher. The teacher asked who's it was and my son put his hand up. The teacher was in tears when she was telling the principal. By default, they had to give him a 10 day out of school suspension. The principal called us twice and apologized but he had to follow protocol.

High school was great. He was never in trouble.
Both of those suspensions sound questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Yes, late 60's from High School. Sent home AND suspended for a week because I wore jeans to school AND remained in them until the 'word got out'.

Midwest winter with below freezing temps, piles of snow everywhere, 1 1/2 mile walk to school.

I just threw down the gauntlet and challenged the archaic 'rule' that the female population was not allowed to wear jeans/pants to school (and remain in them for the entire school day).

Culturally speaking, it was time for change...and prior to my graduation, it did.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Both of those suspensions sound questionable.
I agree on the first one.
But on the second (knife) issue, it sounds as if the school board had a no tolerance policy. If so, the principal has to do what he is being paid to do. It happened to me more than once, and I hated it, but when the boss said you are required to follow the BOE's policies, I followed them. I might argue about the policy later, but I had to obey the policies; I was not a free agent.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My son got suspended twice. Once, he was in 6th grade, leaning on the sink in the boys bathroom and the sink came off the wall. The sink was faulty but the principal declared my son destroying school property. When it fell, He quickly turned around, caught it so it wouldn't fall, and told another kid to get help. I was furious. This was a new principal at a small catholic school. My son had never ever been in the principals office until this. He got a 3 day out of school suspension.

Sorry to hear about that. If I was the parent in that case, given that it was a Catholic school, I would have taken my tuition money elsewhere! If private schools realized that they were losing good students to other schools due to arbitrary discipline, then maybe they'll be willing to change their ways.

Quote:
In 8th grade, same son was going on a sea cadet drill weekend and had his NWU pants on. Unknown to him, he had a small pocket knife in his pocket. When he stood up, it fell out. Another child saw it and gave it to the teacher. The teacher asked who's it was and my son put his hand up. The teacher was in tears when she was telling the principal. By default, they had to give him a 10 day out of school suspension. The principal called us twice and apologized but he had to follow protocol.

I pet peeve of mine is when somebody in a position of authority says that they "have to" do something, or that they have no choice. That's just a cop out and hiding behind a policy. They always have a choice if they are in a position of power.

Many people say that zero tolerance policies were created in order to remove judgment from the equation, so that the football quarterback, cheerleading captain, and PTA president's kid get the same punishment as everyone else. In reality, it results in innocent students being punished (and sometimes their life ruined; glad that didn't happen to your son) over technicalities. My cynical side says that the purpose of zero tolerance policies is to get people to accept judgment calls, even if it sometimes results in the football quarterback, cheerleading captain, and PTA president's kid getting away with things.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,853 times
Suspended several times for insubordination.

If a teacher disrespect me in front of the class I told them to **** off.

One teacher called me a liar when I pushed a matter where she was at fault. I proved she was mistaken. The mistake effected my school record so I was hellbent on straightening it out. I was suspended for "talking back".

Years later, I lived next door to a h.s. principal. I told him my story. He said "We KNOW the teachers that suck and are guilty of things but we can never let the students know that!"

Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Suspended several times for insubordination.

If a teacher disrespect me in front of the class I told them to **** off.

One teacher called me a liar when I pushed a matter where she was at fault. I proved she was mistaken. The mistake effected my school record so I was hellbent on straightening it out. I was suspended for "talking back".

Years later, I lived next door to a h.s. principal. I told him my story. He said "We KNOW the teachers that suck and are guilty of things but we can never let the students know that!"
Insubordination rules were a pet peeve of mine. I was frequently falsely accused of things, and since I wasn't a doormat who just accepted punishment for things I didn't do, I'd plead my innocence, but then get in even more trouble for "talking back".

The worse was my 8th grade science teacher. I got in trouble in class one day (don't remember why, but for the purposes of this message, we'll assume I deserved it), and he told me to go to "DR", which was a slang term for detention that I had never heard before (I always heard it referred to as either "detention", "ISS", or "ISD"). I politely said that I did not know what DR was. He then accused me of talking back to him and made me stay after school. When I met with him after school, he told me that if I ever talked back to him ever again, I will be kicked out of honors science (he was the department chair, so he had that authority). He then spread a rumor around the school that I had epilepsy. That rumor was further spread by several other teachers and students (including his teacher's pet). He was spreading false medical info about me, but there was not a thing I could do about it, since he would have just accused me of "talking back", and he would have kicked me out of honors science, and I would have had no recourse at all.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 PM

272 posts, read 218,246 times
Default Ever do anything in HS that would've gotten you arrested/expelled today?

For those that graduated HS before all of this zero tolerance/zero brains garbage anything you did that back then would've seen harmless at best or possible suspension at worst but nowadays you'd likely have had the cops called, arrested, possibly expelled etc.?

One thing I used to do was always carry a knife with me, one I kept sharpen too, but not for defense or to attack anyone, just for things like cutting up food, opening things, mostly misc stuff. Nowadays I have little doubt a teacher would see it, freak out and I'd have a whole squadron of SWAT officers pointing guns at me!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Heck, I gave a speech on precision shooting and brought my rifle to school... kept it in my locker all day. I did ask ahead of time, but it was a non-issue. Most guys had rifles/shotguns in their vehicles anyway, hunting was a popular pastime.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
No, I don't think so.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For those that graduated HS before all of this zero tolerance/zero brains garbage anything you did that back then would've seen harmless at best or possible suspension at worst but nowadays you'd likely have had the cops called, arrested, possibly expelled etc.?

One thing I used to do was always carry a knife with me, one I kept sharpen too, but not for defense or to attack anyone, just for things like cutting up food, opening things, mostly misc stuff. Nowadays I have little doubt a teacher would see it, freak out and I'd have a whole squadron of SWAT officers pointing guns at me!
I graduated in 1988 so light years before anything was zero tolerance I guess

I also carried a pocket knife with just for miscellaneous stuff like you. Quite a few students carried these pocket knives; they were very common at the school. I even used it in art class for wood carving so the teachers were fully aware of it; nobody really gave it a second thought back then. The principal even saw me use it multiple times when he visited the art class--OMG nowadays the SWAT team would be called in and I would have been hauled off

I got caught once with a joint in my pocket when it fell out while I was changing back into my clothes after gym class. Just fell right out of my jeans pocket and the gym teacher was right there. She chewed me out over it and lectured me about the dangers of drugs. She took the joint away and that was pretty much the end of it. It was stupid because it wasn't even my joint; it belonged to a guy I was hoping to date and I had agreed to hang onto it for him until later in the day. Who knows what would happen now, lol

I'm sure there were probably other things as well.

I wrote a creative story in 3rd grade after being inspired by the red Hormel devil on the label of a can of deviled ham that I saw at home. It was about a guy who opened a can of deviled ham but cut his hand on the lid and brought the devils to life, lol. They came out of the can and hid under his bed then made his night interesting. The teacher was amused and impressed. Nowadays they would probably put my arse in therapy over a story like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education