Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And we should just take your word for that when lots of research (some of which people bothered to "google" for you in this very thread) suggests otherwise?
You can take my word for it or not.

*shrug*

I know it's kind of ground breaking, we always thought bullies were those socially aggressive kids who had no friends and have low esteem, and that's simply not true.

OR, it may be that was the way it used to be and social norms have changed in schools. "Bullying" rarely is a physical assault, which someone who is aggressive and has no self-esteem would be likely to participate in.

But the kind of bullying that's considered epidemic - social bullying on media and in the hallways, sneering, humiliating, etc. is typically done by popular kids who have lots of friends and a high esteem for themselves.

And yes, you can believe what you'd like. The fact is, working on bully's self-esteem isn't going to help, because they're already way ahead there.

What WORKS with stopping bullying is empowering the middle of the road kids - those who flinch and feel sorry for the victim but don't feel strong enough to stand up for the victim. Empowering them, and making it cool to be the kid who stands up for the victim is how you end bullying. Because the kids who are doing the bullying care a great deal what most of the kids think of them, and will even switch "sides" and become someone who sticks up for victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not going to do the googling for you (you can do that) but I'll back Priscilla up on what she said.

I volunteered with the Rachel Project, which was a method backed by ground breaking research into bullying.

Unlike what we thought previously, bullies don't tend to be bullied at home, and don't have negative self-esteem.

In fact, they tend to come from a mix of backgrounds, and in general hold themselves in higher esteem than the average kid. They also tend to be popular.
I feel bullied by that statement.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I'm not going to do the googling for you (you can do that) but I'll back Priscilla up on what she said.

I volunteered with the Rachel Project, which was a method backed by ground breaking research into bullying.

Unlike what we thought previously, bullies don't tend to be bullied at home, and don't have negative self-esteem.

In fact, they tend to come from a mix of backgrounds, and in general hold themselves in higher esteem than the average kid. They also tend to be popular.
I thought Project Rachel was about abortion.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
You can take my word for it or not.

*shrug*

I know it's kind of ground breaking, we always thought bullies were those socially aggressive kids who had no friends and have low esteem, and that's simply not true.
Why do you think your anecdotes of one set of kids in one program, for which you have not done any sort of statistical analysis outweighs peer reviewed research?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,656 times
Some of you have clearly not been in a school or around kids for a while.

If you think the typical bully is that weird,socially awkward kid with the alcoholic dad at home then welcome to the digital age. How old are the studies some of you deem as gospel?

Bullying isn’t about stuffing kids in lockers anymore for the most part and yes, pretty often it is perpetrated by otherwise ‘normal’ kids. Even popular ones.

Talk to your children people.( or in some of your cases grandchildren obviously)

Old 09-02-2018, 09:20 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
https://www.today.com/parents/study-...-levels-t36271

"A new study has found that the reason youth bullying persists is because the seeds of it may be found in our genes due to evolution. Titled "Survival of the Fittest and the Sexiest," the study by researchers at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada, also found that bullies had the lowest levels of depression, the highest levels of self-esteem and the highest social status. They studied 133 students in grades 8-10 at a secondary school in the Vancouver area, comparing psychological health among four groups: bullies, victims, bully/victims and bystanders."

Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.today.com/parents/study-...-levels-t36271

"A new study has found that the reason youth bullying persists is because the seeds of it may be found in our genes due to evolution. Titled "Survival of the Fittest and the Sexiest," the study by researchers at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada, also found that bullies had the lowest levels of depression, the highest levels of self-esteem and the highest social status. They studied 133 students in grades 8-10 at a secondary school in the Vancouver area, comparing psychological health among four groups: bullies, victims, bully/victims and bystanders."
Seems like a pretty small study.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Seems like a pretty small study.
I already knew you would say exactly that.

That's why I hate posting links to studies. It's inevitable that someone will say "the study is too small". This gets old, it really does.

What do you think an appropriate size for a study should be? The fact is, I could post links to hundreds of studies and you'd criticize them all.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:37 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Only doing one school makes it more of a case study than a study-study.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:01 AM

329 posts, read 204,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Some of you have clearly not been in a school or around kids for a while.

If you think the typical bully is that weird,socially awkward kid with the alcoholic dad at home then welcome to the digital age. How old are the studies some of you deem as gospel?
Most bullies come from families that seem fine on the outside, but you don't know what goes on in the privacy of the home. I played highschool football and other competitive sports, and know for a fact that many of my football peers were pressured and bullied by their parents which then manifested in their bullying kids in school. The western system is Roman. Survival of the fittest is taught in society. Violence is part of the fabric of western society. Just have a look at what people consider entertainment on tv and film. Just a derivative of Gladiators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education