Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2021, 08:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And how much better would those top performing students have done if the school system put half the attention into them as it does the bottom performers? How many top and middle performing students did you have to sacrifice to turn around one bottom performer? How many classroom hours are you willing to lose to the disrupters when that hurts the rest of the class?

What do teachers have against top performing students to want to handicap them? Why not support them the same way you do the bottom performers?
What exactly would a school district do differently to move resources from bottom performers to top performing students? Schools have learning support teachers and aides who work with students with IEPs. What additional resources do you want to give top performing students? I'm assuming a high school has a high number of AP classes with reasonable class sizes.

What evidence do you have that teachers have something against top performing students? I would say it is the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
The question is whether the money being spent is doing that or going to waste or would be better spent on the middle third or top third.
Money is not gonna fix U.S. Public Education.

BTDT for decades.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/cmd
https://www.insider.com/how-much-cou...lic-schools-13

Imagine the EDU burden on poor countries (GDP)
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.XPD.PRIM.PC.ZS

There is SO much that educated / wealthy / leadership nations could do for world health / economy / poverty / edu.

Covid provided such a golden opportunity.
Too bad we (USA- EDU ) missed it.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:34 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What exactly would a school district do differently to move resources from bottom performers to top performing students? Schools have learning support teachers and aides who work with students with IEPs. What additional resources do you want to give top performing students? I'm assuming a high school has a high number of AP classes with reasonable class sizes.

What evidence do you have that teachers have something against top performing students? I would say it is the exact opposite.
In my school almost all the teachers in academic courses consistently fought for teaching our gifted classes. Rarely did a teacher ask for regular classes.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:10 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my school almost all the teachers in academic courses consistently fought for teaching our gifted classes. Rarely did a teacher ask for regular classes.
You know that in many schools teachers fight to teach the upper level classes, as opposed to the general ones, because of the perception (and the reality) that there are fewer discipline problems and distractions in them.

It's gotten worse since evaluations are based on test results.

We had one teacher who had, to put it charitably, challenges with classroom management so a schedule of all Honors and AP classes was custom built for him. Then he retired.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

For your last, financial demographics track pretty closely with school performance. The reasons are many but included would be lack of family education, early pregnancy, involvement with the criminal justice system plus several more. Much of the time all the deficits are multi-generational.
Thank you. Though I have to ask how much is chicken and how much is egg so to speak. Example: I grew up in a town where there wasn't that much difference between top and bottom, since we all were on the bottom in terms of the big world. Thing is, folks didn't think of themselves that way. They thought of themselves as solid working class people making a home and future for their families. What I will say on the positive side is even though many of the parents didn't graduate high school (my dad for example), they were well educated in things that matter -- money, business, grammar, history, geography -- and well read on daily happenings. Most families got at least 2 daily papers and it wasn't unusual to find a Wall Street Journal and New York Times around. Even our high school dutifully put out a daily copy of our local, several regional, state, WSJ, Post, and NYT in the school library (who remembers those slotted rods?) and you'd find kids glancing through them. Education was important to the parents as a way for their kids to move ahead.

Interestingly it was the school itself that put less emphasis on the value of education. I remember a talk I had with the Superintendent where he told me the purpose of the school was to put workers in the local plant.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Excellent post.

My middle school was located in Northern Virginia, about 7 miles from the White House. One year I took a car full of African American students down for the lighting of the National Christmas Tree. As we drove up 14th Street one student suddenly yelled out, "What is that?!?" I said, "That's the Washington Monument". Another exclaimed, "What is that big building?" It was the Capitol. I was stunned that these kids lived 7 miles from these national landmarks and had no idea what they were. A few days later I asked the boy who had made the exclaimed question about the Washington Monument how could he not know that landmark. "Mr. Victor, we're poor. My mother and father both work full time jobs and my father also works a part time job. They don't have the time or money to take us any place like you do".
:
Let's think about this for a minute. You're saying these kids, in middle school, had never had a teacher tell them about the Washington Monument? Or the Capitol? Never in all those years seen a picture in a textbook? The statement "we're poor" is a very poor excuse for not knowing those things. They aren't the only kids in the country whose parents work full time jobs.

Yet kids all over the country learn about the Washington Monument, Capitol, White House, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial without visiting Washington DC. I also learned about things like the Grand Canyon, the prairie, the desert, Great Salt Lake, Hopi Dwellings, Folsom Point, the Pyramids, Aztecs, Maya, Inca, and so much more in my history and geography classes. These kids learned none of that in those classes?

Old 10-18-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Before they even get to high school, or even middle school, what they need is time to cover more material and more depth. When so much of class time is taken up by the bottom few, how many topics are either not covered or just skimmed because there isn't enough time? How much productive time is lost every year due to the amount of time and effort spend on the bottom 20%? We're not talking about kids with genuine needs, but kids who consume a lot of class time that could be better spend moving the rest of the class ahead. It was pretty common to watch the same group of kids every day wrap the teacher around the axle for an entire class period by each one asking the same dumb question, in turn. Johnny aske "Why ....?" and the teacher spends 10 minutes answering Johnny. Then Jenny asks the same question and once again 10 minutes explaining it. The Bobbie. Then .... All the time giggling because they are doing it intentionally to disrupt class and getting away with it.

Evidence? My own and others experience: Everything from benign neglect to downright hostility. Even here in the education forum you can find teachers who basically say the top students can get it on their own so they don't need to put effort into them. Just go back a few posts even in this thread.

It's often been said in this forum that all kids have a right to an education, specifically when justifying the effort spent on the low performers. But somehow that same sentiment doesn't come through in the amount of time those same teachers in those same classes devote to the top students. In the past, top students would be punished for things like reading ahead of the class and forced to move at the slowest pace. Today, with computer based systems, they're told the equivalent of "go play in the corner and don't bother me" while the teacher devotes time to the bottom few.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
LOL. Let's see, those top performers were getting into Georgetown, the University Of Virginia, George Mason University, and a number of Ivy League universities. Where do you want them to go to college? Heaven? The Vatican?
What of those who are just below the top handfull you're talking about? Suppose they'd gotten the time and support? Could they also have gotten into those schools?

Old 10-18-2021, 07:16 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Let's think about this for a minute. You're saying these kids, in middle school, had never had a teacher tell them about the Washington Monument? Or the Capitol? Never in all those years seen a picture in a textbook? The statement "we're poor" is a very poor excuse for not knowing those things. They aren't the only kids in the country whose parents work full time jobs.

Yet kids all over the country learn about the Washington Monument, Capitol, White House, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial without visiting Washington DC. I also learned about things like the Grand Canyon, the prairie, the desert, Great Salt Lake, Hopi Dwellings, Folsom Point, the Pyramids, Aztecs, Maya, Inca, and so much more in my history and geography classes. These kids learned none of that in those classes?
I had legions of kids the same across the Potomac from Phetaroi. In a middle/upper middle class high school.

Their excuses/reasons were the same, and many of them had been born in and attended elementary, if not up through middle, school in DC.

Now, you ask about "learning". I can almost guarantee it was taught.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:35 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know that in many schools teachers fight to teach the upper level classes, as opposed to the general ones, because of the perception (and the reality) that there are fewer discipline problems and distractions in them.

It's gotten worse since evaluations are based on test results.

We had one teacher who had, to put it charitably, challenges with classroom management so a schedule of all Honors and AP classes was custom built for him. Then he retired.
Yes, there is that. For some they sorta forget that they are hired to teach kids, not just content. It is nice to be able to get deeper into one's core content, but that's not what most of teaching is really about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education