Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:33 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,556,322 times

Advertisements

I’m kind of surprised that she wrote anything at all on the test. My children's teachers do not write much because they say that it clutters up the paper and makes it sloppy looking. They also said that they would prefer verbally to communicate to a child praise or constructive criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
The kid deserves a trophy for participation. Oh wait...

Old 05-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Do you have to count to know that 8 + 3 = 11 or 2 + 2 = 4 or 9 + 5 = 14? Or that 9 - 6 = 3, 5 - 3 = 2 or 12 - 7 = 5?
I have to count - usually on my fingers. I never learned arithmetic. I was a product of the public school system in Los Angeles in the early 1960s during its failed "New Math" experiment. "If Jimmy has 4 bananas and Susan as 2 apples, how does Mark feel about the War in Vietnam?"

While I can't add a column of numbers or figure out the tip at a restaurant without a calculator, I had no problem with abstraction, and excelled at mathematics in secondary school, as an undergrad and in graduate school (both pure and applied).

Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
Well, I sure hope the child is shielded from the notoriety that the Dad instigated by going public. What could have been a private conference with a positive resolution for Kamdyn is now out in the world. Poor kid.

Who’s feelings were hurt more? Kamdyn or the Dad?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have to count - usually on my fingers. I never learned arithmetic. I was a product of the public school system in Los Angeles in the early 1960s during its failed "New Math" experiment. "If Jimmy has 4 bananas and Susan as 2 apples, how does Mark feel about the War in Vietnam?"

While I can't add a column of numbers or figure out the tip at a restaurant without a calculator, I had no problem with abstraction, and excelled at mathematics in secondary school, as an undergrad and in graduate school (both pure and applied).
Interesting. It sounds like your school was not really doing the new math though.

University of Illinois and Stanford did a lot to develop the new math.

https://www.americanheritage.com/wha...ned-new-math-0

Quote:
Chief among the hierophants were the University of Illinois’s Max Beberman and Stanford’s Edward Begle. Together with mathematicians and educators at universities in New York, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Maryland, they took aim at the mindless rigidity of traditional mathematics. They argued that math could be exciting if it showed children the whys of problem solving rather than just the hows. Memorization and rote were wrong. Discovery, deduction, and limited drill were the best routes to arithmetical mastery.
Quote:
New math became a pejorative term. And because it was difficult to know if trying to understand the structure of math made it any easier, most teachers deserted discovery learning without any pangs. Still, few would dispute that there now is a willingness to teach tougher concepts in the primary grades. The reordering of high school math—putting all geometry together in the tenth grade, for example—also seems to be a lasting change. So, too, does the continuing move of calculus from college to a high school senior course.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM

835 posts, read 478,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m kind of surprised that she wrote anything at all on the test. My children's teachers do not write much because they say that it clutters up the paper and makes it sloppy looking. They also said that they would prefer verbally to communicate to a child praise or constructive criticism.
I would bet that the person is a young, rookie teacher without many years of experience.

Veteran teachers wouldn’t do something like this.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
This is not a common core curriculum issue. It is a memorization of math facts issue. Flash cards can be used both at home and at school.
Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say this was a common core math problem (i don't know what format it was). I was comparing the irony of this thread blaming the parents for not teaching math at home vs threads blaming parents for teaching math at home.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say this was a common core math problem (i don't know what format it was). I was comparing the irony of this thread blaming the parents for not teaching math at home vs threads blaming parents for teaching math at home.
This is not *teaching* math at home though. It is memorizing math facts at home and at school.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting. It sounds like your school was not really doing the new math though.
You could be right.

One particularly stupid problem I remember:

The color temperature of one star is 2400 degrees Kelvin, and another is 4900 degrees Kelvin. What do you get when you add them together?

My reply was something along the lines of "Why would you ever add together two color temperatures?"

Old 05-01-2019, 07:13 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

The color temperature of one star is 2400 degrees Kelvin, and another is 4900 degrees Kelvin. What do you get when you add them together?
A super nova?
A black hole?
A worm hole?
The Big Bang?

I always hated the problems with the trains. If train A leaves Chicago heading east at 40mph and train B leaves New York heading west at 50mph how many people are gonna die when they crash?

Anyway, back to the teacher thing. A kid is never too young to get prepared for the day his boss says: "Your performance is absolutely pathetic, you're fired."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education