Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 07:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's a terrible thing to write on his paper, but I am not sure she deserves to be fired over it. She probably should have some special training about being positive not negative to all her students. OTOH, what was the other rudeness she showed to this child?

I assume this was one of those timed math facts test and she expected the children to complete more of it, but that is not an excuse for her remark.
Isn't that something she would have learned in her child development and child psychology courses that she took in college... when she was learning to be a teacher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I agree that termination is likely too draconian, but being written up and taking additional training is definitely in order.
I disagree. If it's not too draconian to call a 7 year old "absolutely pathetic" for not knowing his subtraction facts, then I don't think it's too draconian for a 25+ year old to be terminated for calling a young child "absolutely pathetic." If the teacher managed to get through college and pass her teaching exams, then she 100 percent knows how to speak/write to children. If she needs hand-holding in order to prevent her from writing inappropriate notes on a child's quiz, then she does not need to be employed by the state and paid with tax dollars. Natural consequences; act like an a$$hol#, lose your government job, too bad, so sad.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The kid deserves a trophy for participation. Oh wait...
The teacher deserves a job for acting inappropriately... huh?

Old 05-02-2019, 12:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,700 times
I had a high school math teacher who would scream "Heresy" and throw erasers at students for making a mistake when he had them stand up to answer a question. This was a Catholic school.

I think there are a significant number of teachers who like their jobs because it lets them browbeat others in no position to fight back. I suspect they are not happy people but they are out there.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 PM

7,362 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The teacher deserves a job for acting inappropriately... huh?
My question is: was this the first encounter with this teacher or has this family been driving her crazy for the past eight months?

If this has been a very long and difficult year for this teacher with this student, how is she with the rest of the class?

More to the story

Old 05-02-2019, 01:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Teacher should be fired for not being fit to be a 2nd grade teacher, plain and simple. So many things wrong here.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,293 times
What the teacher did was inappropriate but she shouldn't be terminated. She should've talked to the parents first because clearly, that kid has a problem too.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:06 PM

99 posts, read 56,974 times
Definitely unacceptable behavior here. The kid is probably just a 7 year old who isn't good at maths. The problem is that we live in a world that is increasingly obsessed with competition and success and every kid is expected to be a bloody prodigy now.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
Definitely unacceptable behavior here. The kid is probably just a 7 year old who isn't good at maths. The problem is that we live in a world that is increasingly obsessed with competition and success and every kid is expected to be a bloody prodigy now.
You don't have to be a prodigy to learn your addition and subtraction facts. We're not talking about partial differential equations here, we're talking about the most basic arithmetic.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:20 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,874,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
OP: how do you feel when a student gets a paper back and there is an F on it? Because that means FAILURE. To me, that is worse than pathetic (or at least as bad).

So is it the word "pathetic" you are bent out of shape about? What exactly is it? It sure seems snowflakeish.
Not sure about snowflakey. More like dandruff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education