Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 12:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times

Advertisements

Today we are in the computer/electronic age. If anyone wants to work in these fields setting up programs to do their job, and programming, they need to know algebra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Today we are in the computer/electronic age. If anyone wants to work in these fields setting up programs to do their job, and programming, they need to know algebra.
Most programmers do not, however, need abstract algebra. The algebra you learn in high school is probably enough.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
I didn't do well in math in high school. I think a lot of this had to do with a lack of motivation and a self-fulfilling prophecy that I was terrible at it and wouldn't be able to grasp it. Fast forward, I am back in college going for a computer science degree. Thus far I have aced calculus 1-3 and linear algebra.

I know this is just my own personal experience and it may not apply to some other people, but I have a feeling a lot of people went through the same struggles as I did, not due to a lack of ability but a lack of confidence and drive. To the poster who said that programmers don't need abstract algebra, I believe it is important to have a strong background in math for programming. Linear algebra is important in regards to 3d graphics programming, you are limiting yourself in the field if you don't have a base understanding of the mathematics involved.

I can recognize that some people have real struggles in comprehension that delve deeper than drive and confidence, however.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I don't think anyone who can't manage that basic level of abstract thinking should get a high school diploma.

And yes, it can be difficult for people to think in that new way. Tutoring should be provided for those students. And maybe they'd have better success at learning it if the constant classroom disruptions could be reduced.

Your post makes me quite angry.

My son has 3 learning disabilities, including just recently realized dyscalculia. He passed all the Algebra courses and tests, but is now struggling greatly with Geomoetry, despite tutoring and other help.

He has a high B GPA which to you might not be impressive but to me is miraculous. He has met or exceeded all other requirements for graduation. He is talented and ambitious and is very qualified to attend an arts based university and earn a BFA.

But *you* would deny him a high school diploma and that future due to a brain based disability that affects one class?

I guarantee you he has worked harder all throughout his school career than his neurotypical sister who finds math easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I don't believe that a public high school would require all students to have abstract algebra to graduate. Sorry, I simply don't buy it and don't believe this post is true.

With how many students are struggling with math, I don't buy that students would have to take not only Algebra, but Geometry, Pre-Calc and two levels of Calculus that are required before you can take Abstract Algebra. You don't even need that in college unless you're a math major.
Yes even for my son with a learning disability, all that math is required. Algebra II is no longer required to graduate in Texas but they don't like to advertise that.

ETA: I am not opposed to 3 or even 4 math classes. I wish there were options for "practical" math like personal finance. The school/state offers a zillion options for AP this and that...why is there nothing for kids on the opposite side of interest and abilities? Why are kids forced to muddle through something, causing them to loathe it even more, when they could take something that would actually be useful?

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 12-03-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Your post makes me quite angry.

My son has 3 learning disabilities, including just recently realized dyscalculia. He passed all the Algebra courses and tests, but is now struggling greatly with Geomoetry, despite tutoring and other help.

He has a high B GPA which to you might not be impressive but to me is miraculous. He has met or exceeded all other requirements for graduation. He is talented and ambitious and is very qualified to attend an arts based university and earn a BFA.

But *you* would deny him a high school diploma and that future due to a brain based disability that affects one class?

If he passes the math, English, science, and history requirements for high school graduation then he should get a high school diploma. If he has to work exceptionally hard to master the subjects, due to things he's got no control over, then he deserves all praise.

If he's not able to master those subjects, then he shouldn't.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If he passes the math, English, science, and history requirements for high school graduation then he should get a high school diploma. If he has to work exceptionally hard to master the subjects, due to things he's got no control over, then he deserves all praise.

If he's not able to master those subjects, then he shouldn't.
That violates about five different federal and state laws.

Should a kid in a wheelchair have to take the same PE course as a kid not in a wheelchair?

Of course not. The school modifies that requirement.

It should be no different for a student with a learning disability.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That violates about five different federal and state laws.

Should a kid in a wheelchair have to take the same PE course as a kid not in a wheelchair?

Of course not. The school modifies that requirement.

It should be no different for a student with a learning disability.
In our state, students with disabilities get non-traditional diplomas that they may use to go on to higher education. Is that not the case in your state?

A student must achieve all the requirements that the diploma awarded implies. If a student does not meet the standard for a traditional diploma, then another diploma may be more appropriate.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In our state, students with disabilities get non-traditional diplomas that they may use to go on to higher education. Is that not the case in your state?

A student must achieve all the requirements that the diploma awarded implies. If a student does not meet the standard for a traditional diploma, then another diploma may be more appropriate.
In my state, there are three levels of diplomas with the main difference between diplomas being the "highest" one includes Algebra 2.

There is no option to opt out of Geometry, for example. Geomoetry cannot be substituted with a different math class. You have to pass Geometry with a 70.

For learning disabled students, you can have a class that is co-taught, and this is noted on the transcript, but does not affect the diploma.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Most programmers do not, however, need abstract algebra. The algebra you learn in high school is probably enough.
Interesting you say that. Some people seem to think programmers are a cut above! I always thought some of them, anyway, weren't all that, uh, bright if I may say so. There is much confusion on this post about what the OP means by "abstract algebra".

Old 12-04-2019, 02:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Foreign language and math are the two most challenging subjects for children. They take endless efforts and you cannot give up at any point, otherwise you lose it.
Unfortunately, American children are often bad at both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education