Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 08:41 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That violates about five different federal and state laws.

Should a kid in a wheelchair have to take the same PE course as a kid not in a wheelchair?

Of course not. The school modifies that requirement.

It should be no different for a student with a learning disability.
There is a concept of a reasonable accommodation such as extra time, someone to fill in bubbles on a scantron sheet, etc.

Do you think a reasonable accommodation should be that a student doesn't need to pass courses? By that logic, wouldn't it be acceptable to say a reasonable accommodation would be no requirement to learn math at all in order to earn a PhD in Mathematics so long as you have a documented learning disability such that you can't do the work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 08:56 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is a concept of a reasonable accommodation such as extra time, someone to fill in bubbles on a scantron sheet, etc.

Do you think a reasonable accommodation should be that a student doesn't need to pass courses? By that logic, wouldn't it be acceptable to say a reasonable accommodation would be no requirement to learn math at all in order to earn a PhD in Mathematics so long as you have a documented learning disability such that you can't do the work?
That's a silly argument.

A course or two in HS does not equate to an entire PhD program.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
That's a silly argument.
It is a failure of the educational system to believe that.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
It is a failure of the educational system to believe that.
What?

That's not even how exemptions work, as I guess you would already know. For example, a student in college who is majoring in underwater basket weaving but has dyscalculia might ask to be exempted from math 101. A committee reviews the student's psycho-educational assessments, realizes that Math 101 has no bearing on the student's major of underwater basket weaving, and allows the student to take science 101 instead of math 101.

The scenario you proposed would never happen, in large part because a committee or dean, etc, would realize that an exemption in math cannot be made because math is central to the degree being pursued.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:

That doesn't mean that "every individual gets to pick and choose". There are committees that work on these standards, although I agree that what those standards are may vary from person to person, since learning disabilities affect different people in different ways.
If the "standards" vary from person to person, then th hey aren't standards.

Quote:

The scenario you proposed would never happen, in large part because a committee or dean, etc, would realize that an exemption in math cannot be made because math is central to the degree being pursued.

In your state that group has decided that geometry is central to the degree bring sought-- a high school diploma.

Now if you want to argue that geometry shouldn't be central to a high school diploma, that's a different argument. But you aren't arguing that; you are arguing for special lesser standards for one person.

I agree with Phaetori. If you argue that there should be levels of diploma signifying different levels of standards, that's a different position I think most could concur with.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
The problem with this is, with modifications such as being allowed extra time, using a calculator, adjusting the grade on a different scale, etc. They are still covering the necessary content. A lower level course not meeting the standard needed for graduation is not exposing them to the necessary content...
That's the idea, yes.

From what I gather, the student in question has indeed passed Algebra and is currently enrolled in Geometry. With enough effort and accommodation, the chances of him failing are practically zero.

Struggling though an unpleasantly difficult course seems to be a far preferable outcome than a GED or lack of diploma.

FWIW, our HS requires three years of math, including Geometry. Math applications and statistics are the alternatives for those not interested or comfortable with the idea of Algebra II and beyond.

Sure, many kids have failed math classes on their first attempt, for some reason or another. However, I've never seen a kid properly accommodated and adequately motivated fail to satisfy their graduation requirement in this subject.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That's the idea, yes.

From what I gather, the student in question has indeed passed Algebra and is currently enrolled in Geometry. With enough effort and accommodation, the chances of him failing are practically zero.

Struggling though an unpleasantly difficult course seems to be a far preferable outcome than a GED or lack of diploma.

FWIW, our HS requires three years of math, including Geometry. Math applications and statistics are the alternatives for those not interested or comfortable with the idea of Algebra II and beyond.

Sure, many kids have failed math classes on their first attempt, for some reason or another. However, I've never seen a kid properly accommodated and adequately motivated fail to satisfy their graduation requirement in this subject.
That may be part of the problem since the mom wants to get him out of the geometry course.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That may be part of the problem since the mom wants to get him out of the geometry course.
Funny, you would think if I wanted to "get him out of the geometry course" I would have tried to do so before he signed up for it or any time this year.

Arguing that a lower math class would be more suitable for him in an online forum does not equate to a situation in the real world where I am trying to get him out of geometry.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:01 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Try earning a BS in Software Engineering without high school algebra.
Try majoring in business without algebra

Old 12-09-2019, 04:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I could be in favor of schools having a small number of diplomas, PROVIDING they are labeled as such. For example:

Academic Diploma
General Diploma
Special Services Diploma
This is what our state does. We have the Traditional Diploma which allows admission to higher education, the District Option, in which a district may have lower standards for graduation but it only grants access to vocational programs, work, or the military, and the Occupational Diploma which is for exceptional education students who have met the requirements of their IEP.

The first two diplomas require the students to pass four state tests, 10th grade English, Algebra I, Biology I, and US History. There is a lot of talk about doing away with them, especially the US History exam, because large numbers of students fail to graduate because they can't pass the tests. Some of the students will take the English II exam ten times before they run out of chances because they haven't learned how to read well enough.

Should illiterate students be able to graduate just because they know the content verbally even if they can't read or write?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education