Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 09:59 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The price of something is determined by its value.. If the price is zero, there is probably going to be little value.
That's about where it is now. Toss in the school system and you're covered. The NEA indoctrination-not-education system is working well, if you want a population of light heads.

And yes, despite what Joe Namath may say in all his ads, there's no such thing as FREE! Magic Money comes from somewhere...us taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
It's amazing to me how an education forum seems to attract mostly people who hate and want to dismantle our schools and don't believe in education at all.

The schools are closed and went online due to covid and so far it's been a disaster. Most parents are bad at home schooling, most students and instructors were unprepared for a massive shift to online.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:44 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol .......free.

There is NO such thing as free, someone at some point paid for you to get it free.

So.....all those people who paid for their education.....do they get money back? How far do we go? 5 years? 10? 20?

No sorry there shouldn’t be any free higher learning.
I have to agree. This is not something essential to survival.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A few countries I have lived.... You are 'streamed' to Academic or Vocational edu in the 5th grade. Based on test scores and the perception of your teacher and other school leadership on your potential to excel.
It's done that way in Germany.

Fewer of their total students go to college, about 20%, but for them, it is tuition free. For the 80%, the country offers training in many other skills, also free.

It used to be that way in the USA; in 1967, my tuition at the University of Arizona engineering school was just $90 per semester. U Cal Berkeley was free.

However, it was difficult to get in. The entrance exam was tough and the flunk out rate was high.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Why would you refund anyone who already agreed to pay the price? That's completely illogical... and, perhaps, even more absurd than free college.
Hey they are asking for free education now....how long until people who paid for that education start the it’s not fair campaign I want my money back?
You’re right it’s as preposterous as free higher education.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
I don’t think college should free but it damn sure needs to be reduced in price.
There are lots of ways to cut out unnecessary fluff.

The U.S. is, I think, the only nation in the world to have college sports teams. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Ohio State Univ. employs a whopping 300 staff in its athletic department.
Sports coaches fly around the country on their private jets, on recruiting trips - which are IRS tax-exempt as "educational expenses".

Foreign universities - like the Univ. of Cologne, Germany - described in this link

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/?s=Cologne

have bland, utilitarian buildings, with no special architecture.
No food courts.
No athletic teams or facilities.
No dormitories - all students live off-campus.
No parking garages, but plenty of bicycle parking.
Little or no Air Conditioning.
No active student clubs.
Professors earn less, teach more, and spend more time handling administrative tasks. There is no requirement for professors to take time off and do research.
There is no bloated administrative staff monitoring race, ethnic, and gender diversity.
No high fees paid to celebrities to speak at assemblies or at graduation ceremonies.

Last edited by slowlane3; 06-07-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 02:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
A New York Times article, this week: "The Only Way to Save Higher Education is to make it Free"
Free? Like Europe?

Oh, yes, lovin' every minute of it.

Let's see....

Your child has to score in the upper 5th Percentile to avoid going to the Hauptschule or the Schulart mit mehreren Bildungsgängen or Berufsschule, where they basically learn how to retread tires or change bed pans or be a barista or something like that.

On the next test, your child has to score in the upper 5th Percentile to be admitted to a Gymnasium.

If your child doesn't score in the upper 5th Percentile, they'll have to go with hat in hand to find a union to train them in something useful.

After completion of that, your child has to score in the upper 10th Percentile to be admitted to Gymnasiale Oberstufe for 2 years.

If your child doesn't make it, you can probably pay to send them to a clerical or low-level tech school, assuming their test scores are high enough. They can be a phlebotomist (someone who draws blood samples) or something like that.

After that, your child will test and if they score in the upper 10th Percentile, they get to go to university for free -- if they don't score high enough, then most likely they'll go to the Fachoberschule, which is like a technical school.

If you wanna do that in America, I'm all for it, but if your goal is to let just anyone walk on a college campus so other people can feel good about themselves, that's not gonna happen.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
There are lots of ways to cut out unnecessary fluff.

The U.S. is, I think, the only nation in the world to have college sports teams. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Ohio State Univ. employs a whopping 300 staff in its athletic department.
Sports coaches fly around the country on their private jets, on recruiting trips - which are IRS tax-exempt as "educational expenses".

Foreign universities - like the Univ. of Cologne, Germany - described in this link

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/?s=Cologne

have bland, utilitarian buildings, with no special architecture.
No food courts.
No athletic teams or facilities.
No dormitories - all students live off-campus.
No parking garages, but plenty of bicycle parking.
Little or no Air Conditioning.
No active student clubs.
Professors earn less, teach more, and spend more time handling administrative tasks. There is no requirement for professors to take time off and do research.
There is no bloated administrative staff monitoring race, ethnic, and gender diversity.
No high fees paid to celebrities to speak at assemblies or at graduation ceremonies.
I dint think you understand how much money athletic departments bring in and the budget they have. You can thank the rabid American publics appetite for sports college and later professional for making athletics matter more than education.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The unfortunate reality is most colleges don't have huge endowments and very few students percentage wise get those full ride merit scholarships. They simply don't exist in large numbers. If colleges were limited to only those students who got these scholarships, there would be very few colleges in the country.
How is that unfortunate? If a college is not producing, what is the point of having it? Historically, there were very few colleges in this country... until the government started funding them... at which point a whole bunch of low quality diploma mills popped up.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Hey they are asking for free education now....how long until people who paid for that education start the it’s not fair campaign I want my money back?
You’re right it’s as preposterous as free higher education.
I don't understand this logic. My phone cost $1000+ a year ago but now only costs $600 brand new. Am I entitled to a refund?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education