Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There needs to be a show called Housewives of Guam for many people to learn these things.

When a huge percentage of Americans have never left the country, except maybe for a honeymoon to a resort in Mexico or Jamaica, they’re sadly not likely to know much about the rest of the planet.
I see your point somewhat. However, if you're a person not living in a cocoon and not addicted to reality shows (like The Housewives of Guam) and what the latest text is, there's no reason to not have a good general understanding of the world. The only country outside of the U.S. that I've been to is Canada and I don't feel any obsession to travel to many other countries. I do have a very strong knowledge of other countries in the world because I read and have curiosity.

I believe that people like myself that grew up without the pull of social media are for the most part, pretty knowledgeable of where many countries are. Sadly, it's not so with the younger folks anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because people over 40 were taught history and geography. These classes were not then displaced with classes on white privilege, LBTPDQ, and how to put a condom on a cucumber. I am over 60 and when I was young, we learned a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography.

Today, it is common core and worse. Today's schools are abysmal. I don't blame the teachers. Schools should never have lost local control. The US Dept. of Education should be eliminated. Yet another collassal disaster by the peanut president Jimmah Carter.
Pretty much this.
Sad, isn’t it?

Old 12-09-2020, 02:36 PM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because people over 40 were taught history and geography. These classes were not then displaced with classes on white privilege, LBTPDQ, and how to put a condom on a cucumber. I am over 60 and when I was young, we learned a pretty strict RRR curriculum that included US history, World history, the founding, US geography, and world geography.

Today, it is common core and worse. Today's schools are abysmal. I don't blame the teachers. Schools should never have lost local control. The US Dept. of Education should be eliminated. Yet another collassal disaster by the peanut president Jimmah Carter.
I remember in grade school that we were given a map of the US states and had to label all the states along with their capitals. No open book tests either.

Same with world geography...blank maps that we had to fill in as tests.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I see your point somewhat. However, if you're a person not living in a cocoon and not addicted to reality shows (like The Housewives of Guam) and what the latest text is, there's no reason to not have a good general understanding of the world. The only country outside of the U.S. that I've been to is Canada and I don't feel any obsession to travel to many other countries. I do have a very strong knowledge of other countries in the world because I read and have curiosity.

I believe that people like myself that grew up without the pull of social media are for the most part, pretty knowledgeable of where many countries are. Sadly, it's not so with the younger folks anymore.
Partly I think it's also because to get information we had to actively seek it. We had a 1960's edition of Encyclopedia Brittanica in my household, plus other books, and that was my "internet" growing up. Flipping through the pages I looked at other topics when going through volumes.

Now, my kids just Google or Youtube it. 5 seconds and done.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:56 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You said you wanted to eliminate vo-tech from public school. That's a bad idea and it would not help kids find anything on a map.
There's only so many slots/credit space available i.e. add a geography requirement (for more than ten states) as well as additional (basic, if necessary) classes re: tech, economics, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There needs to be a show called Housewives of Guam for many people to learn these things.

When a huge percentage of Americans have never left the country, except maybe for a honeymoon to a resort in Mexico or Jamaica, they’re sadly not likely to know much about the rest of the planet.
Heh, or simply establish geography as a requirement. One need not sail the Pacific in order to point it out on a map.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-09-2020 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-09-2020, 04:01 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Many Americans have never been out of their home state.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:03 PM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Many Americans have never been out of their home state.
And what does that have to do with geography ? Isn't that what K-12 is all about ?

Old 12-09-2020, 05:43 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And what does that have to do with geography ? Isn't that what K-12 is all about ?
It has to do with many not caring about geography.. they’re content and comfortable with what is directly around them. We had to take language classes, but I’d venture to say that the majority were just looking to pass the course, rather than become fluent in speaking a foreign language. There’s a difference in wanting to learn rather than just going through the motions to pass a class. How many geography majors have you met?
I was a math major.. I excelled in math because it came easy to me and it was something that I truly wanted to learn... I didn’t just want a grade.
With that being said... in this day and age I don’t need to know where this or that country is on a map. Technology has brought us into the GPS age. I can find anything I want by simply looking it up on the internet. When I was contemplating getting my instrument rating as a private pilot I was told that it takes a good knowledge of math. No worries, math is right up my ally. The truth is that now computers do the math and calculations for you.

Last edited by Sydney123; 12-09-2020 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 07:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
It has to do with many not caring about geography.. they’re content and comfortable with what is directly around them. We had to take language classes, but I’d venture to say that the majority were just looking to pass the course, rather than become fluent in speaking a foreign language. There’s a difference in wanting to learn rather than just going through the motions to pass a class. How many geography majors have you met?
I was a math major.. I excelled in math because it came easy to me and it was something that I truly wanted to learn... I didn’t just want a grade.
With that being said... in this day and age I don’t need to know where this or that country is on a map. Technology has brought us into the GPS age. I can find anything I want by simply looking it up on the internet. When I was contemplating getting my instrument rating as a private pilot I was told that it takes a good knowledge of math. No worries, math is right up my ally. The truth is that now computers do the math and calculations for you.
But men with too little and too narrow knowledge are not wise.
There has to be some basics.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:48 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
It has to do with many not caring about geography.. they’re content and comfortable with what is directly around them.
Content and comfortable i.e. 'lazy', lol? Many high-school students don't care about reading, math, government (and so on) either. Are you suggesting it's a valid reason to cut (any of) the aforementioned from our educational requirements, so students remain 'comfortable'?

Quote:
Technology has brought us into the GPS age. I can find anything I want by simply looking it up on the internet.
Geography/Social Studies is simply relative to a (basic) understanding of the world as part of an educational foundation, particularly relevant to the age of globalization (certainly more so than engine repair - which, btw, may be 'looked up on the internet' as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education