Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 10:27 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

And this is harming their lives how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 10:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And this is harming their lives how?
When people are THAT ignorant, basically it reveals they don't read, don't watch news, and don't travel.
Can such a person have a successful career? Most likely not.

Of course some people don't care about the career. But what kind of impact do they have on their children?
What can they teach to their children?

Old 12-02-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When people are THAT ignorant, basically it reveals they don't read, don't watch news, and don't travel.
Can such a person have a successful career? Most likely not.

Of course some people don't care about the career. But what kind of impact do they have on their children?
What can they teach to their children?
A lot of assumptions there based on the inability to name a shape on a map corresponding to a political entity. Maybe they are true, but maybe not. I certainly haven't seen any evidence to support that they are true. At the very least, if this argument is going to be made, it would be nice to at least know whether the people questioned in the video had successful careers.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
A lot of assumptions there based on the inability to name a shape on a map corresponding to a political entity. Maybe they are true, but maybe not. I certainly haven't seen any evidence to support that they are true. At the very least, if this argument is going to be made, it would be nice to at least know whether the people questioned in the video had successful careers.
Of course we are only talking about likelihood, not certainty.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I'm 51 and I could name 95% of the roughly 200 sovereign states. Why? I like maps. But I don't pretend that it makes me any smarter that someone who can't, nor do I posture that knowing where Uruguay or Mozambique are located is useful for me in any meaningful way.

This is a thread for people who take some perverse glee in convincing themselves that the young whippersnappers of the day are such losers compared to their supposedly wonderful generation.

People who think this way...

"Young people are idiots! How do I know this? Some comedy show filmed a whole bunch of them, and then edited out everything but the dumbest answers!"

...aren't exactly establishing their bonafides when it comes to having a clue.

It's also for people to drag out every last one of their social grievances and rant irrelevantly about them:
I am not bashing the intelligence of young people. Why would today's generation of youth have a different IQ bell curve distribution than in 1970 or 1940?

I AM BASHING THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS.

Shouted for clarity. I have no clue how anybody could have misinterpreted my original post.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am not bashing the intelligence of young people. Why would today's generation of youth have a different IQ bell curve distribution than in 1970 or 1940?

I AM BASHING THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS.

Shouted for clarity. I have no clue how anybody could have misinterpreted my original post.
Across the first world including The US aggregate IQ rose sharply from 1940-1970.......The Flynn Effect.
FWIIW aggregate IQs are falling across most much of the first world, although not much if at all in the US.........dysgenic fertility seems to be a key cause.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:44 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
To put it in a simple answer

It’s called the dumbing down of America

I bet you most of those blundering fools can rattle off what any of the Kardashians had for lunch on Monday.
I would add that it's deliberate.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:09 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Most people, today can’t even tell you phone numbers of the people in their address book. Forget picking up a road atlas and find their way somewhere. The age and political leaning isn’t a factor anymore. People today rely on their smart phones for just about everything. It is dumbing down people. As far as Jimmy Kimmel....this same guy who is now a PC whining lib is the same guy who cohosted a show called The man show and called the women who were part of the cast Juggies. Jimmy Kimmel has absolutely no credibility with me.

And yes......our education system is a colossal failure. I’ve walked in schools in the LAUSD and the class is being taught in Spanish. No joke.
At the same time, one could easily present a counter argument to that. If people have easy access to a smartphone then they also have easy access to all that info.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Of course we are only talking about likelihood, not certainty.
That's fair, but still wouldn't change my position. Not without evidence to show the likelihood of what you wrote being true. And, as I mentioned, a good place to start would have been looking at the career success of those who couldn't answer the question.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:40 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Rhodesia? ........ No longer on any current maps. Zimbabwe now.
All of them have been renamed. I vividly remember Upper Volta stamps...which is now Burkina Faso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education