Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:39 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times

Advertisements

The saddest part of this video is that these people are laughing at their stupidity. They think it's cute to be stupid. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Forget watching The Real Housewives of some place, these people should go back and start watching Sesame Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The saddest part of this video is that these people are laughing at their stupidity. They think it's cute to be stupid. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Forget watching The Real Housewives of some place, these people should go back and start watching Sesame Street.
IMO there are a few themes in play A). legions of Americans are profoundly ignorant in nearly all ways that matter - mostly interested in Facebook and their pet set of influencers B). other legions are contextually bright and engaged but lacking any level of let's call it Maslow's idea of - Self Actualization C). There's a razor thin group of people who due to the rigors defined by their area of study get a pass...............my son is a neurosurgery resident if you have head trauma or various severe neck problems etc. he's your guy........ask him who was the first human on the moon he's as likely reply, Arnold Palmer or Ozzy Osbourne as Neil Armstrong.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:10 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,902 times
Embarrassing...I can name most of them thanks to stamp collecting as a kid...still have no stamp from Abu Dhabi in my album lol.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Since we are taught from the cradle to the grave that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world and our sphere of influence is global. Just point to the map and say USA, USA.

Last edited by txfriend; 12-02-2020 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 04:01 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Since we are taught from the cradle to the grave that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world and our sphere of influence is global. Just point to the map and say USA, USA.

No offense, but your age is showing. Kids are not taught that in school these days unless they are home schooled.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I guess this might make a good case against the legalization of marijuana as the kid seemed to know a lot of countries.
Well, differences must be destroyed since they are not fair. Kiddo, smoke the joint. LOL

Old 12-02-2020, 05:32 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Because they are easy pickin's. They don't have a clue. If they picked older people they might get a bunch, which would spoil the show. Not fair to the kids really, since they don't teach Geography anymore......
But they should learn it on their own. Not a smart generation, for sure.....
Plus, if they are small town kids with no desire to leave why should they need to know a different language or what some tiny township is on the other side of the planet. They will probably lead less stressful lives than most today.

Some of the smartest people I've met could take apart and put back together a tractor or understand wildlife as a career but couldn't figure out how to put together a decent email.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:39 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneW View Post
Anyone who thinks these "cute" videos are legit needs to get a refresher course in how to recognize reality.

They're only going to show the "encounters" where folks look silly.

It's a comedy routine, people.
I once took a geography course at the university. One day the professor decided to show shapes of countries on the blackboard (which wasn't black or even used chalk) and let the students say which one was each. I recognize I'm well ahead of most people when it comes to geography, particularly identifying countries with little to no effort. Having said that, most people I would think are able to identify many of the larger countries at the very least. I ended up raising my hand and giving the correct answer for most of them. At a certain point I even felt bad for the other students. I remember even the professor made a face of worry at the fact that apparently I was the only one that knew what all of those countries were except for one. LOL

I understand that I'm able to see the shape of most countries and immediately know which one is it. That is rare and I don't even know how I do it, I just know apparently without thinking. The failures on that day simply had no explanation other than ignorance and these were college smart students studying to become lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Our education system started going south 60yrs ago.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:46 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You can't disparage people for not knowing things which will probably never be of any use to them.

I can't name the capital of Kazakhstan off the top of my head either.
I was going to say Tashkent but that’s Uzbekistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education