Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 06:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My kids are in private school and my 1st grader loves math so much that we have someone come work with him once a week outside of school. It’s one of his favorite hours of the week. He’s currently working at a 4th grade level and we have not pushed him at all. I was the complete opposite as a student when i was his age. Locking kids like him down with fewer options doesn’t help anyone.
You are doing the right thing getting your son a private tutor. Even if the public schools teach more and more advanced math, the high school math teacher is not a mathematician and does not have the depth and breath of knowledge in that subject to properly teach a gifted child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 06:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The only question I would have, is whether the content of a community college is equivalent to junior and senior years of high school in past decades?
The answer is yes. In community colleges they now have "College Algebra". That would have been an oxymoron in past decades. There shouldn't be basic algebra classes in college.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:36 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...courses-equity

If we had been Virginians this would have sent us packing as our son took calculus in 8th, daughter in 9th.

What a terrible idea.

In the name of equity.......let's punish achievers.

The Chinese are laughing at us.
Until a few years ago, high school SENIORS in Georgia had to pass a general exam to actually receive their high school diploma! Many couldn't pass the exam, so their parents complained. Guess what the "great" State of Georgia did? Are you sitting down? You guessed it. Georgia ELIMINATED the exam! It's no surprise that BOTH Virginia and Georgia's education systems are going downhill---FAST! Georgia's was never great, but it's even worse now!

Old 04-24-2021, 06:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
The answer is yes. In community colleges they now have "College Algebra". That would have been an oxymoron in past decades. There shouldn't be basic algebra classes in college.
They had that at my flagship university 25+ years ago, although it was remedial.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:48 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Reading more to understand if Virginia is really getting rid of accelerated math. I am very unclear that they actually are. This story seems to be making its way around right wing new media outlets, but I don’t get that story from the information posted by Virginia. What am I missing here? It seems like someone read “advanced concepts” in 11-12 grade and took that to mean they were not teaching accelerated courses to younger students. I would like some confirmation because this seems more like a curriculum roadmap than the elimination of accelerated math.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:44 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
This wokeness has spread even to prestigious private schools. See Is there such a thing as “too much anti-racism”? Cornell and prestigious private school in NYC (& Biden Administration).

Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The only question I would have, is whether the content of a community college is equivalent to junior and senior years of high school in past decades?
You make a great point. It's clear that most CC courses are less to far less demanding than the same at establish colleges & universities.

As a nation we need to tidy that up.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Reading more to understand if Virginia is really getting rid of accelerated math. I am very unclear that they actually are. This story seems to be making its way around right wing new media outlets, but I don’t get that story from the information posted by Virginia. What am I missing here? It seems like someone read “advanced concepts” in 11-12 grade and took that to mean they were not teaching accelerated courses to younger students. I would like some confirmation because this seems more like a curriculum roadmap than the elimination of accelerated math.
I'd like fully authoritative comment from salient VA authorities as well. I read that part of all this newness forbids kids outside 11 and 12 from taking anything in the "11 and 12" class offerings.

Teaching elements of calculus, say simple derivatives and so on, to 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th graders isn't the same at all as taking the equivalent of calculus A/B and B/C during those grades.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:24 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd like fully authoritative comment from salient VA authorities as well. I read that part of all this newness forbids kids outside 11 and 12 from taking anything in the "11 and 12" class offerings.

Teaching elements of calculus, say simple derivatives and so on, to 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th graders isn't the same at all as taking the equivalent of calculus A/B and B/C during those grades.
It would be nice to have all the info before we all fly off the rails. Partisan news outlets on both sides thrive on manufacturing outrage. I would like to know that this is not the case here.

Facts>noise.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to have all the info before we all fly off the rails. Partisan news outlets on both sides thrive on manufacturing outrage. I would like to know that this is not the case here.

Facts>noise.
Good post.

However, it's quite clear a key component within VMPI is at least greatly decreasing and more likely eliminating school based advance math offerings before 11 and 12.

Also, skimming the referenced links just below the graphic you posted..................it's a full-ride of hard left groups and thinking.

In other words I'm betting there are in fact - facts inside the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education