Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,854 times

Advertisements

Wow, I hope your other 2,990 posts aren't like these are. I know someone like you, and her children are the most unhappy children I've ever seen. In fact, my mother shares your attitude and she's managed to alienate most of her grandchildren.

NO TEACHER should EVER humiliate a child in a way that it causes a lasting negative effect. It's one thing to embarrass a student for foolish behavior, but to humiliate in front of the class, and expect the class to take sides with the teacher, that's reprehensible. She should be fired.

My daughter is a well behaved, quiet child. When she entered 5th grade, her teacher disliked her from the get-go. He continually humiliated her in front of everyone to the point I finally had to remove her from the school. The students were treating her the same way the teacher was and it broke her heart. Up until now, I have homeschooled her. This year she is in 10th grade and is going to the local high school part time and loving it. Her teachers have mentioned what a sweet girl she is, and how hard she tries.

There is no excuse for hurting a child and allowing and even encouraging that child's peers to degrade and tear that child down. When there are behavioral problems, they should be dealt with between the teacher, the student, and the parent. They should NOT involve the remainder of the class.

AND THAT CHILD IS 5 YEARS OLD ! ! ! ! ! NO EXCUSE AT ALL. If that was my child, I would make some serious noise right up to the state level and beyond. I've done it before, I'd do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am sure that you are aware of this, but as you navigate through life you will come across many degrading situations. The amusing thing (to me, anyways) is that parents, and society in general, tries to protect children from such events at every moment possible (like those teachers and parents who tell a classroom of students or soccer players that they are all special, and winners. Well, let me tell you something, some of those kids are losers, and the sooner that they realize that, the better off they will be. Hey, at least you're being honest with them), but yet when you reach young adulthood you are told to suck it up, stop acting like a child, to deal with it, and hey, that is life.

And if one of your children is a loser, I'm sure YOU will be the first to point that out to him/her. There's nothing like helping your own kid realize he's a loser, so when everybody else points it out, you can tell him 'I TOLD YOU SO'.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
And if one of your children is a loser, I'm sure YOU will be the first to point that out to him/her. There's nothing like helping your own kid realize he's a loser, so when everybody else points it out, you can tell him 'I TOLD YOU SO'.
You are darn tootin'!

Now, I am not advocating the use of the 'loser' label in an insulting way. I am not saying that you should call your kid, or anyone's kid, a loser just for the hell of it. Or even if you are angry. Or even if your kid royally sucks at something. Kids fail at things from time to time, and that is good.* It is natural. Some kids just don't have the knack for certain things whether it is sports or math or drawing or whatever. And so what! Let them fail!*2 There seems to be an ever increasing PC mindset in the classrooms and homes these days. Little Billy is terrible at _________; but instead of letting Billy deal with it (and working with him to get through it), parents and teachers are instead using euphemisms to constantly remind Billy that he is indeed a very special person. Nothing wrong with that; everybody likes to hear that they are special from time to time, however, in Billy's case, the focus has been taken off of Billy's obvious lack of understanding for _________ and has been placed on making Billy feel good, making sure that he is not emotionally wounded. And that is just wrong.

*Adults fail all the time. But unlike children, adults are expected to realize that it is just a part of life. Kids need to be taught that lesson as well. Or else they will be in for a serious rude awakening in early adulthood.

*2 MIT is a hard school. On purpose. Their main philosophy is that if you do not fail, then you will never learn. This is just an example; I really do not care if you like MIT or not.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 PM

114 posts, read 486,439 times
Are you people listening to yourselves??? It's this, it's that... No it's the underpaid teachers working for a system that is 50 years outdated and low on cash. If America spent as much on education as it does war and the armed forces, imagine what we should see. Also, society wants ALL kids to sit down and shut up and not act up. God, how did I get through school acting the way I did? OR how did my Aunt get through with AD/HD and dyslexia in the '40's. Wait, we spent more time on actually teaching the students then making sure that they were at the right level to get the funding. Sad, it's all about the money and not about the student as it should be.

PS yes I'm a teacher (Sp.Ed. to boot and a Special needs mom),

Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
Ok so is it safe to say that maybe this poor kid got picked on by the other kids and the teacher because he is "different"?

And you are correct some kids do need to be treated with meds, but how many kids are on meds for their parents benefit more than their own. My son only had problems in Kindergarten just like this boy, he has an IEP and is mainstream with all the other kids and gets straight A's without meds.
I am a pediatric nurse, and IMO, the kids I've seen on meds need to be on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post

Antibiotics are intended to treat infections, asprin is intended to treat head aches or blood issues. The drugs that are persccribed to children are intended for blood pressure issues, heart problems, and breathing problems. And most of the medications that are given to these children are the same dose a doctor would perscribe to an adult for those conditions, so these children are taking high doses of the medications intended to treat older adults with terminal issues. Do your research please, cause clearly by your statements you have not.
I'm not sure which meds you are referring to when you say they are the same dose as and adult would receive. The docs I work for are constantly calculating doses based on a child's weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This is a difficult issue - in the real world, disruptive people are removed from the workplace because it negatively impacts productivity and the bottom line - threatening companies' ability to retain and pay their workforce.

I'm worried about what's going to happen to the generation of students who've received special treatment in the schools and then have to face the real world where special treatment and one-on-one aides are not provided.

I'm sorry if this comes across as insensitive - I don't mean it that way.
In the "real world" that I have worked in, a lot of disruptive people are kept on b/c it is hard to remove them; it is hard for the person who hired them to admit s/he made a mistake, etc.

Quote:
I am sure that you are aware of this, but as you navigate through life you will come across many degrading situations. The amusing thing (to me, anyways) is that parents, and society in general, tries to protect children from such events at every moment possible (like those teachers and parents who tell a classroom of students or soccer players that they are all special, and winners. Well, let me tell you something, some of those kids are losers, and the sooner that they realize that, the better off they will be. Hey, at least you're being honest with them), but yet when you reach young adulthood you are told to suck it up, stop acting like a child, to deal with it, and hey, that is life.
The kid is 5 years old! Barely more than a baby!

Quote:
You are darn tootin'!

Now, I am not advocating the use of the 'loser' label in an insulting way. I am not saying that you should call your kid, or anyone's kid, a loser just for the hell of it. Or even if you are angry. Or even if your kid royally sucks at something. Kids fail at things from time to time, and that is good.* It is natural. Some kids just don't have the knack for certain things whether it is sports or math or drawing or whatever. And so what! Let them fail!*2 There seems to be an ever increasing PC mindset in the classrooms and homes these days. Little Billy is terrible at _________; but instead of letting Billy deal with it (and working with him to get through it), parents and teachers are instead using euphemisms to constantly remind Billy that he is indeed a very special person. Nothing wrong with that; everybody likes to hear that they are special from time to time, however, in Billy's case, the focus has been taken off of Billy's obvious lack of understanding for _________ and has been placed on making Billy feel good, making sure that he is not emotionally wounded. And that is just wrong.

*Adults fail all the time. But unlike children, adults are expected to realize that it is just a part of life. Kids need to be taught that lesson as well. Or else they will be in for a serious rude awakening in early adulthood.

*2 MIT is a hard school. On purpose. Their main philosophy is that if you do not fail, then you will never learn. This is just an example; I really do not care if you like MIT or not.
Well, what way would you suggest you tell a 5 yr old he is a "loser"? And I don't believe we're talking about MIT here; we're talking about kindergarten!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Sooo many posts in the last day that I've got something to say about so let's see if I can make some sense out of this ADHD/Asperger mind of mine

As to the loser thing K-LUV, while I tend to agree with the premise you put forward about blindly following the self esteem thing I have to take issue with the idea that because a child is not good at one thing or another they're a loser. I would submit that yes children need to fail at times and that not all children are good at everything and in fact there are some children that will be good at very few things but this doesn't make them losers. What we need to do as parents of these children is to find what they ARE good at no matter what it is and direct their education to complement that so they can be successful in what they ARE good at. My son (ADHD/Aspergers) really sucks at math and can't write so anyone can read it and there's no rational way to fix it. Is he a loser? No, he just really sucks at math and writing and that's why there's computers and calculators.
We've always told our son he can do whatever he wants to try and if he failed at it we told him we're proud you at least tried and now know it's not for you so let's move on to something else. The key is we try to provide him with any tool or accomodation available to try to equalize his disability with his peers and if he still fails well then he failed.
It's kind of like giving a child with one leg who wants to do track a prosthetic leg, teaching him to use it thereby making him equal to his peers and letting him run. If he doesn't win then he doesn't win, that doesn't make him a loser nor does it make him special and I certainly don't like it when they go up to a child like that and give them a ribbon just for being there so they "feel good". I would tell the child I was proud of them for trying and maybe they'll do better next time if they wish to go again.
As for more money for the schools, it's been proven that more money does not always equate to better education. In some cases sure it'll help but not in all cases and I would submit that in most cases it wouldn't matter. If you have a bad teacher I don't care if you pay him/her a million bucks they're not going to get better. If you want better schools then allow competition, let parents choose where to send their kids. If a public school has to close due to lack of customers then so be it.
Neanerbean, if we spent as much money on public schools that we spend on the military all we'd have is wealthy administrators (and more of them) and cruddy schools. Money does not make the schools any less disfunctional nor will it stop them from teaching to the lowest common denominator or make parents care about what their perfect little child is doing in them.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanerbean View Post
Are you people listening to yourselves??? It's this, it's that... No it's the underpaid teachers working for a system that is 50 years outdated and low on cash. If America spent as much on education as it does war and the armed forces, imagine what we should see. Also, society wants ALL kids to sit down and shut up and not act up. God, how did I get through school acting the way I did? OR how did my Aunt get through with AD/HD and dyslexia in the '40's. Wait, we spent more time on actually teaching the students then making sure that they were at the right level to get the funding. Sad, it's all about the money and not about the student as it should be.

PS yes I'm a teacher (Sp.Ed. to boot and a Special needs mom),

Sorry, but it's getting more difficult by the year to feel sorry for teachers. Teachers are making more and more money and spending less and less time with students. Elementary age children spend less time with any one teacher than high school kids do. In addition, there are more and more 'aides' in elementary classrooms. EXACTLY WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM TEACHER DO ANYMORE???

Nope, no sympathy here.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Quote:
Sorry, but it's getting more difficult by the year to feel sorry for teachers. Teachers are making more and more money and spending less and less time with students. Elementary age children spend less time with any one teacher than high school kids do. In addition, there are more and more 'aides' in elementary classrooms. EXACTLY WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM TEACHER DO ANYMORE???

Nope, no sympathy here.
Aide???? Hmmm...what's an aide? I'm a first grade teacher, and I have NEVER ever ever....did I say ever....had an aide. Just me, dealing with my children.

Oh, by the way, I have the children from 8:20-11:00 (lunch time comes next), then from 11:35-1:55 (then they have music or art or PE or Media or Technology), then 1:55-2:50 which is dismissal. So let me see. I have the children for roughly 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't see the "point" you made.

As for the post...I highly disapprove of the voting the child out of class. While I'm sure I can understand how a teacher, parents of the other children, and the other children might want to do something like this...it shouldn't have been done.

However, I have seen how we are to keep disruptive, out-of-control children inside the classroom, because they have rights, yet the rights of the other children whose time/learning is being wasted and/or interrupted, is being ignored.

I think I know what that poster is talking about when she said something about stop telling every kid he's a winner. I think she said it incorrectly, or perhaps that's how she wanted to say it. What I am tired at, along those lines, is in sports, or school, every child has to receive a certificate, or trophy, for NOTHING. When my son was on a basketball team, dodgeball, and flag football, everyone on that team received a trophy. Hello? What happened to back when I played sports, and the only people/team who received a trophy were the people or the team that did it, that excelled. My son is awful in sports , but thinks he's great because he has four trophies! He's going to be in for a rude awakening when he gets older, because if he doesn't improve....he isn't going to be on a team...but you can't tell him he needs to improve as he shines the trophies that every child received.

Or in school, when some children receive academic awards for excelling at grades, some teachers are being told to find some sort of "award" for students, and then those "best smile", "friendliest", "most careful".....and so on, are created.

Children do need to realize that certain things need to be earned, and that's that. But too many people are worried about their self-confidence, well, self-confidence comes once you realize what you are good at, and we shouldn't be giving them fake self-confidence (like my son).

Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 AM

79 posts, read 331,290 times
Quote:

Nope, no sympathy here.
HA HA HA. That was great.

I agree with you mostly, but you can not single out all teachers. There are some really bad teachers and there are some really good teachers. I do not have a lot of sympathy for the teachers anymore either, but I can tell you that my youngest sons kindergarten teacher last year was amazing. All the kids loved her as well as all of us parents. She does not have any aides in her class but we do live in an area where most of the mothers do not work so she did have at least one volunteer in the room almost everyday.

There are some teachers that need to find a profession, but there are still some of those teachers that still love what they do, and love their students.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Parents have raised this generation of kids to need instant gratification without doing the work. Coddled and spoiled brats! I mean, parents tell their kids "good job" or "high five" for wiping their own rear end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education