Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 04:04 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times

Advertisements

This is not a political post.

Recent media reports of government proposed student loan debt forgiveness in my opinion seem to have unleashed a lot of antipathy toward college educated people collectively.

When I have written persuasive letters in the past quoting professors and subject matter experts with higher education degrees, those with no college education would sometimes respond with a "What do they know?" attitude" or "I don't need a professor" to tell me what to think" remark.

Has there for many years been an underlying antipathy toward the college educated from the non-college educated that was aggravated by the recently announced debt forgiveness plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 06:35 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I think the sentiment has been there for a long time (decades). Consider a non-college educated person who has been working for four years encounters a college educated person who hasn't, specifically someone with a useless liberal arts degree which doesn't really prepare you for much. The former has a real world understanding and the latter has had liberal smoke blown up their behind by liberal professors trapped in their liberal bubble.

It's different for those with a technical degree, like a doctor, engineer, scientist. I think they always have been respected by the non-college educated.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:24 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solere View Post
This is not a political post.

Recent media reports of government proposed student loan debt forgiveness in my opinion seem to have unleashed a lot of antipathy toward college educated people collectively.

When I have written persuasive letters in the past quoting professors and subject matter experts with higher education degrees, those with no college education would sometimes respond with a "What do they know?" attitude" or "I don't need a professor" to tell me what to think" remark.

Has there for many years been an underlying antipathy toward the college educated from the non-college educated that was aggravated by the recently announced debt forgiveness plan?
Yes. Wish I knew why. Jeaslously? Envy? The less you know, the more loudly you know it?

But it's been around since before I went to college. I even sensed it in high school. This country has a huge animosity toward education, justified by a lot of myths that don't match reality.

Fred and Barney graduate together. Fred goes to work "down at the plant." Barney goes to college with some part time work. Four years later Fred has experience; Barney has an education. Four years after that, Fred still has experience; Barney has both.

Old 10-16-2022, 01:03 PM

990 posts, read 544,218 times
This element has always been there and I don't think loan forgiveness has made it worse.

Last edited by CCS414; 10-16-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 01:08 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes. Wish I knew why. Jeaslously? Envy? The less you know, the more loudly you know it?

But it's been around since before I went to college. I even sensed it in high school. This country has a huge animosity toward education, justified by a lot of myths that don't match reality.

Fred and Barney graduate together. Fred goes to work "down at the plant." Barney goes to college with some part time work. Four years later Fred has experience; Barney has an education. Four years after that, Fred still has experience; Barney has both.
I think what I bolded expresses it perfectly. I'd just throw in the word resentment.

Old 10-16-2022, 03:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think what I bolded expresses it perfectly. I'd just throw in the word resentment.
Do you think there is more resentment towards the college educated from older (50+) or younger non-college educated people?

Old 10-16-2022, 08:31 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solere View Post
Do you think there is more resentment towards the college educated from older (50+) or younger non-college educated people?
The field workers always resent the house workers.

But older field workers resent them a little more.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:41 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I have some education. I tell people it is a handicap i have overcome !

Old 10-17-2022, 09:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
My parents were teachers, naturally both were college educated. My brother went to college, my sister to nursing school. I did a year of community college but lost interest.

I value education & should have gotten more. I would if I had a do over. I’m now 65.

Even my educator parents would point out that higher education is wasted if a person has no common sense. Perfect example was a family member with 3 college degrees. She could not balance a checkbook, manage a budget or hold a job for long. Highly intelligent but functionally a fool. Her foolishness caused a great deal of trouble for her family.

I worked in an office for several years. Many of our managers were college grads who could not do most of the positions they supervised. That stirred a lot of resentment. Also, many clerical jobs that high school grads did well eventually began demanding college grads. In some cases, less capable people having preference over experienced people. Older people often learned as much in high school as is taught in college today.

Yes, there is resentment out there. Some from mere jealousy but some for good reason.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:30 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I think that people who do not have the benefit of a college degree are sick of hearing "highly educated" people whine about their student loans and how haaarrrdd it is to make it in life. The sense of entitlement is unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education