Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 07:55 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Advertisements

Definitely an outcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 09:06 PM

251 posts, read 767,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert29 View Post
How popular were you in high school?
not very popular, but i guess it depends when you were in school. i don't remember much from school, but i remember not caring and just happy i was able to make friends.

Old 03-02-2023, 12:54 AM

24,601 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am pretty sure most of us were cannon fodder.
I was not cannon fodder in high school. But yes, it is a "reality check" to come across the genetic lottery winners and trust fund babies at your school.
Quote:
There are only so many beautiful and special people to go around, who rule the roost from their top tier cliques. The rest of us were just serfs for the most part.
Yes, there are genetic lottery winners in the world. They had beautiful parents who created them. But we do live in a world where there's enough plastic surgeons that can make you more attractive than you are now. Balding? Get a hair transplant. Small lips? Get filler. Big nose? Get a nose job. Crooked teeth? Get Veneers. Short? Get limb lengthening surgery, etc.

There's a saying "one is not ugly, they're just poor" (refencing how much plastic surgeries celebrities get)
Quote:
The only thing surprising is that "high school never ends". You think work is going to be different, but it is still cliques, popularity contests, the special people get special treatment, and the boss has favorites.

High school never ends.
High school ends. It's the grownups who never change.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:52 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Depends on the school. Even after 50 years plus now there is that group that relives their high school glories to the exclusion of everything else.

I went as an invited guest to a 30 year reunion in the Fall of a class I had as a teacher. They were an interesting group, very little mention of what they did during high school (except about the one guy there who was absolute Hell on wheels when he was in school) but a lot of "How you doing now?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_qa0EEKZ90

Old 03-02-2023, 08:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Depends on the school. Even after 50 years plus now there is that group that relives their high school glories to the exclusion of everything else.

I went as an invited guest to a 30 year reunion in the Fall of a class I had as a teacher. They were an interesting group, very little mention of what they did during high school (except about the one guy there who was absolute Hell on wheels when he was in school) but a lot of "How you doing now?".
Just like Springsteen's song:

Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days (Official Video)

Old 03-02-2023, 09:15 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
Quote:
The only thing surprising is that "high school never ends". You think work is going to be different, but it is still cliques, popularity contests, the special people get special treatment, and the boss has favorites.

But the difference is, as an adult, you can choose your environment. It's not like high school, where you're forced to be in the same place. You can learn new skills. You can find a different job. You can change industries.

And tbh, if someone finds that every environment they go in is toxic, they may be the common factor.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I have no idea. Not sure I know what popular means and I know that I did not care one way or another when I was in school. I think most people knew who I was. I did cross through a lot of cliques. Some people hated me. I think quite a few teachers also hated me. It also varied year to year. Jr. and Sr. years the cliques tended to mix a lot more. Jocks were in plays or in band, drama nerds on the weightlifting team, egg heads took shop class. So you got to know everyone a little bit. A lot of people tried to bully me, but I just did not care and that seemed to frustrate them. Some of mey best friends were jocks, gear heads, burnouts, band geeks,egg heads, goths, punkers, smelly messed up kids, beauty queens, nerds, FFA kids (sheep Fkrs), I had a couple of friends in almost all the cliques, so it helped keep an entire clique from turning on me.That is when tings got ugly - if a whole clique singled you out as a target. I could usually rely on more people trying to protect me than were trying to hurt me, so does that equal popular? When I go to reunions, people I thought disliked me are all friendly and happy to see me. In my senior year I dated the football team captain's soon to be ex girlfriend, so that made me pretty unpopular in some circles it think but maybe popular in others. I was in a lot of plays and they were all forced to watch us doing scenes at assemblies, so they acknowledged my talent (then in some cases knocked me on my butt- which I did not care about either). No way to tell. Maybe I can take a poll at the next reunion.

Old 03-06-2023, 02:20 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,813,910 times
I was pretty much invisible in high school. Hated every minute of it, too.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:25 PM

401 posts, read 275,481 times
Extremely..and in elementary school too. I was one of those girls that people just wanted to be friends with and I didn't have to actually try to befriend people. In my 8th grade year book, I was voted most social....hayyy But the odd thing is I'm more on the introverted side with people I don't know, but I was also in the same class with the same kids for 8 years, so that helped. High school was still and will always one of my most favorite times of my life!

Old 03-06-2023, 04:48 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
Extremely..and in elementary school too. I was one of those girls that people just wanted to be friends with and I didn't have to actually try to befriend people. In my 8th grade year book, I was voted most social....hayyy But the odd thing is I'm more on the introverted side with people I don't know, but I was also in the same class with the same kids for 8 years, so that helped. High school was still and will always one of my most favorite times of my life!
How DARE you be happy. That doesn't make you very popular on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education