Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what others think about or if you have experience with sending your 4th grade child on an overnight field trip. I have just learned that my 9 year old daughter's public school 4th gr.class is planning a three day, two night field trip. They will fly to their destination, camp one night and spend the other night in a hotel. One of the parents who chaperoned last year said the kids stayed, four to a room in the hotel, while the chaperones slept in separate rooms although in the same "wing" of the hotel. Seems a bit much for nine year olds and I really don't see the point of doing this at such a young age, especially considering all the recent publicity about pedophiles seemingly everywhere. Also, the trip costs a lot of money, so the kids who might benefit from the exposure to what the events have to offer, probably can't afford to go and the ones who can afford to go have probably already gone or will go with their families! Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
That's amazing and strange! Is it a sports or performance group- not a regular class?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
My kids did overnighters at that age, although I don't think anything longer than that until the "big" sixth grade trip.
Flying seems a bit much for that age group though, just the thought of a large group of youngsters having to go through security and then hang around the waiting area... Doesn't sound like much fun to me!
The sleeping arrangements are always a no win situation. Some parents will be horrified that there are no adults in the rooms to keep an eye on the kids. Other parents would be horrified at the thought of strange adults sleeping in the same room as the children. If I were a chaperon on an overnighter I would prefer NOT to be sleeping in a hotel room with children I don't know. I think I'd be okay with it if the chaperons were in adjoining rooms, or in the same corridor across the hall or a door or two down.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That's amazing and strange! Is it a sports or performance group- not a regular class?
Nope. Its her regular 4th grade public school class!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
I have to add this to my list of the totally crazy things schools do with and for kids. I can think of absolutely no reason for an elementary child to go overnight with any school group.

There is so much they learn while in school and around their local area and what is going to be done for the kids who cannot afford it? In today's economy, I would think more thought would go into that.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,957 times
I think it's a bit young and wouldn't want to be a chaperone. I also think the sleeping situation is a no win for the reasons already stated. I worked for an after school agency years ago and took a group of about 10 girls on several trips, but we rarely stayed more than 2 nights and they were middle school or older. Remembering all of the drama, (the purses in the freezer, the overflowing toilet leaking into the room below, the towels tossed out the second floor window and the unmentionable thing that was floating around in the pool) I definitely wouldn't want to try that with younger kids. Actually, I wouldn't want to try it again period, but...

Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
Is this by any chance in Texas? haha

Our previous school did this. It was a trip to the state capital, historical museum and a few side trips. The teachers in charge had done this in a previous school and thought it highly educational and beneficial.

I couldn't see allowing my daughter to go unless I was able to go as well. That would not only have cost me double the expense of the trip, but also my husband would have had to take off work to stay with our son and the other kids I keep.

Thankfully we moved to a different school and there they did the same basic trip in a day trip and it was perfect!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
I agree completely with Sweetana3 in particular, and the other nonoptimistic posters.

I feel a parent's FIRST covenant with a child is to protect that child from harm. I think there are too many potential problems here.

-- The trip is too long -- should be a day trip.
-- The children are too young
-- there are too many of them sleeping (read horsing around and not getting a lot of sleep) in the room
-- the arrangements are weird (certainly the adults need to get their sleep, especially to handle the kids the next day, but what if a child drops a glass in the middle of the night, steps on broken shards, and is afraid to wake an adult?)
-- flying without the comfort and security of parents? No thank you.

I'm a vocal advocate for shaping one's life to ensure it is an adventure -- for adults. Adventure for kids is fine, I think, if they're with parents or other people who truly love them and aren't likely to become overwhelmed caring for them. And when the parents know the likelihood of the child encountering pedophiles is next to zero. And when the child is in the tent or hotel room overnight with three other children, who knows what any of those other children might be suffering from, in terms of emotional problems? Children harm children, not just adults.

No way!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
I think it totally depends on the child. I never did any overnight field trips but I know my brother went on a trip to Washington DC. I do not know how old he was but it was 6th grade or lower.

Kids these days are so limited as to what they can and can't do. It really is a shame that they miss out on (reasonable stuff) so much just because of what might or could happen. If you are totally against it, I imagine there will be plenty of kids that can't go simply for monetary reasons so your child won't be the only one NOT going.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have to add this to my list of the totally crazy things schools do with and for kids. I can think of absolutely no reason for an .
You mean no camps, no church groups, nothing???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.