Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,162,576 times

Advertisements

My son is currently in the 10th grade and was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder in the first grade. We kept him back in the 2nd grade because he was struggling so bad and it was the best thing i could have done.

They exited him from receiving services in speech and language at the end of the 8th grade upon his testing. He's really struggling in school right now and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on building skills at home to help him.

I want him to succeed so bad. I'm not getting any answers from the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,842,244 times
Have you asked the school about the possibility of a 504 Plan (http://www.chtu.org/504.html - broken link)? Even though he no longer qualifies for Special Education, if he's struggling in school because of a disability, they should still provide services for him.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
My son is currently in the 10th grade and was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder in the first grade. We kept him back in the 2nd grade because he was struggling so bad and it was the best thing i could have done.

They exited him from receiving services in speech and language at the end of the 8th grade upon his testing. He's really struggling in school right now and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on building skills at home to help him.

I want him to succeed so bad. I'm not getting any answers from the school.
My daughter has the same problem. She doesn't process verbal directions very well in a classroom setting. I have homeschooled her for 4 1/2 years, but when she was in school, we asked the teacher to write things on the blackboard or someplace where it can be seen as well as say it. She would look where things were written and not have any problems.

She's now taking 3 high school classes as well as being homeschooled. In her psychology class, she informed the teacher herself that she has trouble understanding verbal directions, and the teacher said she would write things as well. Problem solved.

In classes where there are a lot of lectures, it would be a good idea for your son to have an audio cassette recorder and record the lecture so he can go over it at home where it's quieter with less distractions. Also for him to ask his teachers to write directions on the board as well as speak them.

My daughter's IQ is very high, so academically she has no problems. Being homeschooled I think helped some, because we talk ALL THE TIME. When she asks questions and doesn't get my answer one way, I say it differently until she understands, so she has been getting a lot of practice processing. She's learning on her own how to adapt.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 AM

603 posts, read 2,340,885 times
I'm a high school special education teacher. We have students every year who test out of speech services. Was he given academic testing at his last re-evaluation? Many speech students start exhibiting difficulty in reading, writing, and math because of the language problem. You could ask him to be retested to see if he qualifies for any services.
Teachers want to help. I would ask for a parent conference (guidance counselors can get all teachers together at one time for a conference). If teachers know the difficulty, they can make modifications without a 504 (which he would probably not qualify) and an IEP.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,846,339 times
Actually, he should qualify for a 504. My son has APD and is currently getting accomodations from the 504 plan. He is also in the gifted program, so we don't qualify for the IEP anymore. you actually may be able to get an IEP again as well.

First, go back and get a new evaluation. Make sure this is what you are dealing with. I know our audiologist said we should retest every 3 to 4 years to see how his remediation is going. Then, schedule a meeting at the school with your findinds and start your requests for help, remediation, and accomodations.

Good Luck.

shelly

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks for all your advise. I've left several messages for the guidance counselor and so far, not one phone call back. Looks like i'm going to have to take a trip out to the school...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,724,266 times
Document when you made the calls, and send a written note or email as well (keep copies). You may want this documentation at some point.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Document when you made the calls, and send a written note or email as well (keep copies). You may want this documentation at some point.
Unfortunately the school system made several special education cuts over the summer, so i know i'm going to have a hard time.

I've also sent an email to a state senate representative 2 days ago and so far, nothing back from him either.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,451,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Unfortunately the school system made several special education cuts over the summer, so i know i'm going to have a hard time.

I've also sent an email to a state senate representative 2 days ago and so far, nothing back from him either.
I'm beginning to think we're really connected somehow - my son who just started 9th grade was also found to have APD in 1st grade and was retained in 1st.

What the school is doing, if indeed they are cutting access to the needs of your son in order to get an appropriate education then they may be obligated to pay your son's way in another school that can provide him with an appropriate education (they don't tell you this at the school, and they also don't want to do this so it pays to find out everything you can). Be sure to use that word - appropriate - as often as possible.

Here is language from the FAPE page on ed.gov:

"To be appropriate, education programs for students with disabilities must be designed to meet their individual needs to the same extent that the needs of nondisabled students are met. An appropriate education may include regular or special education and related aids and services to accommodate the unique needs of individuals with disabilities.

One way for ensuring that programs meet individual needs is through the development of an individualized education program (IEP) for each student with a disability. IEPs are required for students participating in the special education programs of recipients of funding under the IDEA.

The quality of education services provided to students with disabilities must equal the quality of services provided to nondisabled students. Teachers of students with disabilities must be trained in the instruction of individuals with disabilities. Facilities must be comparable, and appropriate materials and equipment must be available.
Students with disabilities may not be excluded from participating in nonacademic services and extracurricular activities on the basis of disability. Persons with disabilities must be provided an opportunity to participate in nonacademic services that is equal to that provided to persons without disabilities. These services may include physical education and recreational athletics, transportation, health services, recreational activities, special interest groups or clubs sponsored by the school, and referrals to agencies that provide assistance to persons with disabilities and employment of students."

Free Appropriate Public Education under Section 504

With the help of our regional center (SELPA), I found out that you have to do everything in writing, and be familiar with the language and regulations to really go for the jugular. If they aren't teaching your son appropriately, then you have to take the next steps.

P.S. It grates my nerves that schools think cutting special ed is the best way to save money - God forbid they cut off some of the dead weight they have in Administration!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,724,266 times
Agree with DontH8me - let the cuts be for somebody else's kids, not yours. The law is the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education