Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,366 times

Advertisements

I resentecd buying someting just for PJ day. My kids, like many, don't sleep in designer pjs sets, but rather sleep in old tee shirts, etc, which, obvbiously, wouldn't cut it for the school PJ day.

However, my main concern is transition, walking back and froth to and from school, unless they are all supposed to change in the bathroom? What about kids who ride the bus, or after school activities? How would it look for a kid to run around in public in their PJ's, the general public doesn't realize its school PJ day, they just look like kids dressed iinappropriately. Someone might even think to call Social Services

Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
LOL, it isn't such a big deal. It isn't like they have to wear sleepers or real pajamas. Most older kids don't sleep in pajamas, per se, they sleep in lounge pants and t's. A lot of high school kids actually wear them to school on a regular basis.

Put a pair of sweats on them and send them off. Or a pair of flannel lounge pants and sweat shirt or t. Why make an issue of it? Let the kids have fun and just roll with it.

Geez, don't be such a wet blanket.

Our local library has a pajama/movie night for grade school aged kids once a month. The kids bring blankets and their favorite stuffed animal, dress in jammies, bring snacks and watch a movie. They have a great time.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
I don't see the big deal as long as the kids are covered up and dressed appropriately. School should be fun, too. At our school, pajama day is DEAR (drop everthing and read) day, so it is somewhat educational?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
OMG, I can't believe that anyone thinks that a pajama day at school goes against their values???!!! It is just a fun day. Most of the kids love it. I have never seen anyone complain about it at our school. Some kids change into them at school and before they come home. My son walks home with 3 other elementary aged kids and other than the fact that they got kind or dirty onthe walk home, it was no big deal. If it is cold where you are and they have a bit of a walk then just put some sweats over the pants. If all they have to do is walk 50 feet into the school and if it is that bad they would be unlikely to have recess outside, then the weather is no big deal!!!

I honestly don't get it. I think it is important to do these kinds of different things to make it fun for the kids! I don't imagine many kids participate once they hit middle and high school but if they do and the PJs are appropriate then why is it a big deal.

No wonder so many kids are just messed up with so many uptight, overprotective parents

Oh, and if your kids sleep in sweats and t's then send them in sweats and t's, you don't have to buy them anything

Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,900 times
They had pj day when my kids were in elementary school and also at their middle school. It’s just a fun day, no big deal. Those who chose to participate primarily wear flannel pj’s or sweat pants and a t-shirt, and it’s pretty obvious when they get to school that they didn’t sleep in their pj outfit and just grab their lunch and to to school. Care was taken to look good . On the last pj day, my dd (age 14, middle school) wore her new bright pink hello kitty flannel pjs that she bought specifically for pj day and a knit t-shirt and her best friend wore reindeer pj’s and a knit shirt. Afterschool they went to our (west coast suburban) neighborhood downtown area with a group of other pj wearing kids, and they werent the only group of kids walking around wearing pj’s and drinking slurpees. Nobody stared, nobody cared, and the kids had fun.

They have other school days when the kids can dress up - twin day, halloween, spirit day, and specific days when they would like you to wear the school colors. My dd always dresses up for St. Patrick's day, too.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I used to work with a girl who on ocassion wore her pjs to work . her parents owned the business and she said that they had a pj day at her community college and she did not see what the big deal was . Her father told her that then the other employees will want to come in here with their pjs on and then the business will go all to he** . Her mother who also worked there came in and told all of us that it was no big deal and that all of us should feel comfortable to wear what we wanted to work . well then the other girls started to wear shorts and short tops showing their middles and I found that to be offensive so I left for a more proffesional company where there was some sort of dress code . My point being it is okay for maybe first and second grade but after that no , I would not encourage it . I certainly would not encourage wearing pjs to work !!!so no not past the second grade in my opinion .

Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM

96 posts, read 441,823 times
Timely post as it was pajama day at my school today. Being a first grade teacher, my students loved my Grinch pajamas (yesterday was Dr. Seuss's birthday, by the way). The only teachers who participated were in K-2. Though I'm at a K-8 school, I don't often cross paths with upper grade students. The ones I did see didn't have pajamas on. Every student in my class, on the other hand, had pj's on. It's actually "spirit week", so there's some goofy theme each day. I hate it because the younger kids are all hyper all day, but a pajama day once a year can be fun.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I used to work with a girl who on ocassion wore her pjs to work . her parents owned the business and she said that they had a pj day at her community college and she did not see what the big deal was . Her father told her that then the other employees will want to come in here with their pjs on and then the business will go all to he** . Her mother who also worked there came in and told all of us that it was no big deal and that all of us should feel comfortable to wear what we wanted to work . well then the other girls started to wear shorts and short tops showing their middles and I found that to be offensive so I left for a more proffesional company where there was some sort of dress code . My point being it is okay for maybe first and second grade but after that no , I would not encourage it . I certainly would not encourage wearing pjs to work !!!so no not past the second grade in my opinion .
Completely different situation. We are talking about school, elementary school in particular and I see nothing wrong with any elementary age child wearing PJs to school once or twice a year. Once they hit middle and high schools, it should be up to the child anyway!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I wish we had pajama day at work. Better yet - if they just gave us the day off so we could hang out at home all day in our pajamas. They could still call it Pajama Day.
This one has my vote.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Now, don't go ballistic, but some schools also have Backwards Day when the kids wear all their clothes backwards. Hawaiian Day when they all look like they are on the beach. Mardi Gras Day and parade down the halls throwing brightly colored beads and dressed up like nuts.

And the list goes on...

Pajama Day is a part of childhood in school. Let them keep that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education