Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,907,334 times

Advertisements

Why don't you talk to the Kindergarten teacher/assessment team. Let them give you some feedback and do their screening. You can always chose to NOT go but you can talk to them about your concerns and your particular child's needs.

We went for a spring screening (they call it DIAL here or something like that) and then I also spoke with the principals office about my child's temperament and what kind of teacher he responded to the best. You can at least determine what your child needs to have ready emotionally and educationally for the next year and what you need to work on to achieve that goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
My sons have early September birthdays.

They could have started kindergarten, but we chose to wait, as each of them would have been the youngest child in his class. It seemed better to have them wait until they had just turned six than to start when they had just turned five.

We were thinking in terms of their possibly having an interest in sports, but that turned out not to be a consideration. Neither was into varsity sports.

We have no regrets.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Why don't you talk to the Kindergarten teacher/assessment team. Let them give you some feedback and do their screening. You can always chose to NOT go but you can talk to them about your concerns and your particular child's needs.

We went for a spring screening (they call it DIAL here or something like that) and then I also spoke with the principals office about my child's temperament and what kind of teacher he responded to the best. You can at least determine what your child needs to have ready emotionally and educationally for the next year and what you need to work on to achieve that goal.
They don't even do kinder assessments here. It would have been nice to have that, but it wasn't offered.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
I'm guessing this is a fairly new phenomenon, as most of the questions I've seen are "My child just missed the cut-off date for Kindergarten, how do I get the school to let him/her enroll anyway?"

It seems that you could definitely run into issues in high school when a child (a boy, especially) is a year older than the other students. He'd be driving SOONER than his classmates (meaning he'd be the driver-by-default) and he'd be dating girls younger than him (consider the possibility of a relationship between an 18-year-old boy and an "under-aged" girl).

Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
I can only speak as a high school teacher. So I only see the "down the road" perspective on keeping them out of kindergarten another year.

I see NO downside to it at all. It is all benefit for all of the kids I have seen who were DELIBERATELY "red shirted". The additional maturity can make so much of a difference in high school. The RS kids are either just typical teens or "more mature", I have never seen an "immature" redshirt. That maturity can really pay off when it comes to work ethic and commitment resulting in better grades, and more extracurriculars. I know some of the very young kids miss out on internships opportunities because they cannot drive.

I have no idea if it is problem for elementary and middle school.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'm guessing this is a fairly new phenomenon, as most of the questions I've seen are "My child just missed the cut-off date for Kindergarten, how do I get the school to let him/her enroll anyway?"

It seems that you could definitely run into issues in high school when a child (a boy, especially) is a year older than the other students. He'd be driving SOONER than his classmates (meaning he'd be the driver-by-default) and he'd be dating girls younger than him (consider the possibility of a relationship between an 18-year-old boy and an "under-aged" girl).
I never heard of it when my daughter was in school (she is 18 now) but I have had in the past two year EIGHT boys who were redshirted (even if they did not know that was the term). For a couple of them it REALLY paid off.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I can only speak as a high school teacher. So I only see the "down the road" perspective on keeping them out of kindergarten another year.

I see NO downside to it at all. It is all benefit for all of the kids I have seen who were DELIBERATELY "red shirted". The additional maturity can make so much of a difference in high school. The RS kids are either just typical teens or "more mature", I have never seen an "immature" redshirt. That maturity can really pay off when it comes to work ethic and commitment resulting in better grades, and more extracurriculars. I know some of the very young kids miss out on internships opportunities because they cannot drive.

I have no idea if it is problem for elementary and middle school.
I have also read that the older "more mature" kids make better decisions about drugs, sex, drunk driving and all that stuff. One of my kid's classes has a 20 month spread between the oldest and the youngest. It seems like an awful lot to expect the kid who is almost 2 years younger to be as responsible.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Perhaps the minimum age for Kindergarten should be raised to six for all students .....

Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I never heard of it when my daughter was in school (she is 18 now) but I have had in the past two year EIGHT boys who were redshirted (even if they did not know that was the term). For a couple of them it REALLY paid off.
It goes both ways though. Several boys in my daughter's K class were redshirted (because they had summer birthdays and that's just what you do with boys who have summer birthdays ) and they just seemed so...bored and beyond the other kids. I agree wholeheartedly that if there's a concern about a child's maturity, social/academic skills, etc. then holding them back is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. But holding your kid back JUST so they won't be the youngest is short-sighting your kid and not fair to anyone.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Driving was exactly one of the main issues we considered when we had Ds repeat kindergarten. We said we would rather he be one of the first drivers in his class than the last driver and wanting to be with older boys. Besides we strictly adhered to the "no passengers in the car for the first 6 months of driving" rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education