Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The School could claim watching Oprah is educational. Some of them will become teachers and may teach learning challenged kids. Watching Oprah is a good exercise in seeing how the learning disabled think and what challenges Definitely check out Pine Mountain just outside of Columbus. That is where Callaway Gardens is located. Here is the link Callaway Gardens. It is nice in the Spring time when the Azaleas are blooming. If you decide to go, definitely check out Warm Springs. Georgia has many many beautiful areas from the mountains to the coast. All depends on how long you plan on being in Georgia. they face.

People saying the inauguration is an "historical event" or "watching history unfold before our eyes" - what are you talking about? It is just another inauguration. Not even this president's first inauguration. Inaugurations are not history. It is just a political show. How are you figuring this is an historical event?

I have taken a lot of history classes and read lots of history books, but never once can i remember being taught anything about a particular inauguration. I may have once read Lincolns inauguration addresses, but this is not anything like that.
I don't get the Oprah comment at all. Yes, every inauguration is a historical event because the President is the highest ranking person this country has and he/she is always elected by we, the people. The election is showing the results of how we voted and the inauguration is the start of a new chapter. I don't think inaugurations for the second term are nearly as interesting but they are something to be noted. (P.S. note spelling of inauguration)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The School could claim watching Oprah is educational. Some of them will become teachers and may teach learning challeneged kids. Watching Oprah is a good exercise in seeing how the leanring disabled think and what challenges they face.

People saying the inaguration is an "historical event" or "watching history unfold before our eyes" - what are you talking about? It is just another inaguartion. Not even this president's first inaguartion. Inagurations are not history. It is just a political show. How are you figuring this is an historcial event?

I ahve taken a lot of history classes and read lots of history books, but never once can i remember being taught anything about a particular inaguration. I may have once read lincolns inaguration addresses, but this is not anyhting like that.
Oh, really? President William Henry Harrison caught a cold at his inauguration, probably aided by refusing to wear a coat on a bitterly cold day. (Being exposed to severe cold like that can lower one's resistance.) The cold turned into pneumonia and he died 31 days after his inauguration.

When a new president is elected, inauguration is a show of peaceful transfer of power.

President Harrison dies after one month in office — History.com This Day in History — 4/4/1841

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Forced?
I remember watching the Inaugurations back when I was in school, and that was quite a few
years ago now.
They are watching a Historic Moment in our Nations History, and there is much to learned
from watching it. I think it is a very good thing that they are watching it.
I remember getting out of class so the whole school could watch calender girl pageants, go to pep rallies and vote for Cheerleading Try Outs ~ so yes somethings are rather frivolous -
but not watching the Inauguration imo.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I think second term presidents should stand in front of that yellow shower curtain in the White House and be sworn in without all of the other hoopla saving bored students from having to sit through the thing.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Okay, so I was going to ask my middle schooler when she came home today if they were going to be watching it. This is because on the news another area school district had a huge showing of parents all up in arms that they were NOT going to be showing it on Tuesday. The school board relented and now they are making ALL of their students watch it. So my daughter comes home and says they are making EVERYONE gather in the gym to watch it.

What do you think?
What are the schools in your area doing?
With the way we are nowadays it can be recorded and viewed later?
Kids can watch bits of it that are important in history class and discuss it?
Most adults are going to be working and won't be able to watch it, so why not view it together as a family that night on tivo or whatever?

The one "issue" I'm having is that the kids are going to be missing 2 class periods of instruction in order to view it when the day before they were out for a Federal holiday. This means that a 4 day instructional week has now been cut down to practicially 3 in at least 2 subjects. I'd personally MUCH RATHER watch it as a family TOGETHER. I know I'm not going to be able to see it myself "live" as I'm already scheduled for medical appointments that are not going to be canceled.
Are you insane?

Hey, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about this particular guy taking the oath of office, but viewing the inauguration teaches incredibly important lessons about our government, the power of democratic elections, and the peaceful transfer of power.

It was probably a very good investment of two hours on the part of your child's school.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,704,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Even though I don't like Obama much, I think its okay to miss a few hours of school to watch a historical event. However, I do doubt elementary kids would even know, care, or remember any of it... I don't remember elementary school at all... or middle school (or junior high as they call it where I was)... and high school is very vague in my memory (probably will be forgotten completely in a few years)... its nice but it don't really amount to much...
that's not true, I remember when the challenger blew up and I was in elementary school when I saw it, so yes some might remember it.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_of_Reason View Post
that's not true, I remember when the challenger blew up and I was in elementary school when I saw it, so yes some might remember it.
I remember being in eighth grade and they dragged us to the library every day to watch the Watergate hearings. Had NO idea what was going on, and we would just pass notes and goof off. I remember a teacher catching us and getting angry and telling us "This is history. Pay attention". But I could not make head nor tail of what they were talking about, and the gist of the whole thing seemed to be that politicians had been caught doing something crooked. And? Weren't politicians by nature crooked? That was our perspective already, and we just couldn't understand what the hoopla was about.

When I got older, I read All The President's Men to learn more about what I didn't pay attention to at 13.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Face it, what kid wouldn't rather watch the inauguration than sit through a boring math class. Certainly experiencing history live is much more educational. I can't imagine anyone objecting to this.

My K-3 school in the 1960s had one television per floor. We'd all gather in one classroom -- sitting on desks and on the floor -- to watch special events like inaugurations and Gemini/Apollo launches. No doubt we enjoyed the launches more than the inaugurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In 1960, when I was in 6th grade, our teacher brought radio to school so we could listen to the last few innings of the 9th game of the World Series, Pirates v Yankees. (I believe the TV coverage was blacked out in Pittsburgh.) That turned out to be a historic game with a fairy tale ending (for Pittsburgh fans).
During the World Series all the boys would smuggle their transistor radios in their pockets, and the instant the bell rang the radios went on. And back then, when all the games were in the afternoons, by our 3:15 dismissal time, the game was almost over. Or sometimes a nice teacher would let us listen to an inning or two.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
"Government in action????" You WANT the state to raise your child?? You want them to have AUTHORITY over your child??? That's downright frightening!! Because if you feel that way you probably would be happy living in a totalitarian government.

That's NOT the role of the government.
Government in action should be watched. It is your duty as a citizen to watch the actions of government. How does watching the inauguration put authority over anyone? It does not.

What is really frightening is those who do not watch the government's actions and then blast those that do.

How do totalitarian governments come about? People that no longer watch government in action and because of that, never see the thing taking place and having a chance to do something about it.

The next time the government does something with which you disagree, it is probably because you closed your eyes and failed to watch what was going on, let someone else worry about it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education