Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2mandms View Post
My kids are both in middle school, and were told that they had to watch the "historical event" when they got to class today. IMO it should have been mandatory to get parental permission, just as we have to give permission for sex ed and AIDS classes.

As expected, the teachers did not like that my son, and one other student, did not want to watch it, and didn't like that they have their own opinions on Obama. They were told that they needed to be quiet and watch. I don't care that this is a "historical event" and I don't care what color he is. If a white guy had been elected, it would have been yet another school day, and kids would not have been forced to watch. That is what makes me mad.

If a parent would like their kids to see this stuff, then they can record it and watch it on their own time. If the teacher was to show snipets of it in a history class, that would be different, but to take up a few hours of school time, no way. If I had known that it was going to be forced on my kids, then I would have kept them home from school.
Current events is hardly on the same order as sex ed or AIDS education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
A better solution would be for the US History or Civics teacher to video tape the event, play it in the class, and use it for a discussion.
I don't know why that is "better". I was excited to watch it live. There's something about "live" that isn't quite the same on tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
So your objection is because of who it is, not the fact they were expected to watch it. I think you're giving yourself too much credit.

I'm absolutely certain your son and only one other were NOT the only people who have their own opinion about Obama. And Where did your son gain this opinion???? FROM YOU ! ! ! ! ! So he's simply parroting.
Obama is not a bad person, and may not be a bad president, but I believe now is not the right time for him. That would not, however, excuse my children from participating in watching the inauguration with their school.

Likening the inauguration of our country's president to sex ed or AIDS classes is ludicrous. Try not being so hateful.
I agree. Kids don't start forming their own opinions until late middle school/early high school. Everything before that is just parroting the parents' opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
No offense to some of you teachers, but I'm guessing many lesson plans were put on hold so some teachers could kick back and watch the tube, lol. jk, but seriously

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
No offense to some of you teachers, but I'm guessing many lesson plans were put on hold so some teachers could kick back and watch the tube, lol. jk, but seriously
LOL, you're funny. For two hours every four years they kick back and watch the tube? They don't need an inauguration as an excuse. Many teachers waste a lot of time every day.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Wow, are people really upset or defiant over schools deciding that rather than teach from a book, they are going to allow their students watch history live. Years from now people will remember where they were and the discussions they had when this historical event took place. It amazes me what some people will choose to complain of.

Yes, they're upset because their candidate of choice did not win. Once you understand that (which you probably do), then you can see why the complaining is there. That's where all of this is coming from; it has nothing to do with historical value or anything like that, it's seeing how you can rain on other people's parade even if it means taking it out on the kids. I am proud to say that ALL of our kids watched the inauguration at our schools here in our town; that being a Catholic K-8 school and our public high school and they all came home talking about it.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
My kids are both in middle school, and were told that they had to watch the "historical event" when they got to class today. IMO it should have been mandatory to get parental permission, just as we have to give permission for sex ed and AIDS classes.

As expected, the teachers did not like that my son, and one other student, did not want to watch it, and didn't like that they have their own opinions on Obama. They were told that they needed to be quiet and watch. I don't care that this is a "historical event" and I don't care what color he is. If a white guy had been elected, it would have been yet another school day, and kids would not have been forced to watch. That is what makes me mad.

If a parent would like their kids to see this stuff, then they can record it and watch it on their own time. If the teacher was to show snipets of it in a history class, that would be different, but to take up a few hours of school time, no way. If I had known that it was going to be forced on my kids, then I would have kept them home from school.
Oh, please, spin, spin, spin! I remember watching various inaugurations and other events back when I was a kid going to school in the 70's. I've been a parent for almost 25 years now and ALL the inaugurations were televised and played for our kids in class, from George Bush, Senior, to Bill Clinton, to GWB, and now Obama. Please stop acting like victims and like someone is trying to indoctrinate your children. You should have kept them from school because your brain-washing is the only good brain-washing there is and it's your God-given right as a parent in the good ole U.S.A.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
As a follow up- My kindergarten boy came up somewhat upset he didn't get to see it as they couldn't get it to work on their room TV and the teacher's computer didn't have speakers, only headphones. He did get to view it some, but not hear it. The parade was on when we got home waiting til time to go back and get the older kids. He was particularly fascinated with the Secret Service and what their job was, in addition to the presidential limo.

Then when I picked up the other kids, which is 3 5th graders and a 2nd grader, that's all they wanted to talk about and they were quite excited about it. They stuck to the TV at home for about an hour afterwards, then headed off to play. The only thing that bothered me was that whomever they were watching it with didn't take time to discuss much, hopefully they might do so today. I only say this because one of the 5th grade boys is the kind of kid who has to be right no matter what, and when I asked if they saw the flub during the oath he started saying he couldn't believe Obama messed up and I had to clear that up with him that it was Obama that messed up but the Chief Justice! Oh, he didn't like that at all....haha He didn't know what had actually occurred there. oops.

Either way, they all got to see it and take from it what they wanted and they were all thrilled with it!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Okay, so I was going to ask my middle schooler when she came home today if they were going to be watching it. This is because on the news another area school district had a huge showing of parents all up in arms that they were NOT going to be showing it on Tuesday. The school board relented and now they are making ALL of their students watch it. So my daughter comes home and says they are making EVERYONE gather in the gym to watch it.

What do you think?
What are the schools in your area doing?
With the way we are nowadays it can be recorded and viewed later?
Kids can watch bits of it that are important in history class and discuss it?
Most adults are going to be working and won't be able to watch it, so why not view it together as a family that night on tivo or whatever?

The one "issue" I'm having is that the kids are going to be missing 2 class periods of instruction in order to view it when the day before they were out for a Federal holiday. This means that a 4 day instructional week has now been cut down to practicially 3 in at least 2 subjects. I'd personally MUCH RATHER watch it as a family TOGETHER. I know I'm not going to be able to see it myself "live" as I'm already scheduled for medical appointments that are not going to be canceled.
I have no problem with it, and am glad they'll get to see it. It's living history, and forever they'll remember that they saw it and where they were (whether they remember the specifics or not). As far as the people mentioning age, I remember watching Clinton's inaugural in 1993.....I was 7 years old. I also remember watching coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, I had just turned 10. And then again watching coverage of Mother Theresa's death (I went to Catholic school) and Columbine when I was 12. 9/11 was an entire day of TV viewing, at least until they closed the city and we went home. Just because you're not in high school, doesn't mean you won't remember.

Also, it's not necessarily a "sit down, shut up, and watch the TV" sort of deal. Often this is something that'll be discussed and tied into courses, if nothing else when a kid asks "what's the big deal with this?". It's a valuable discussion, and one that they can carry for the rest of their lives. At the elementary school where my mother works, they've been following the primaries and election with excitement, so I hope they got to watch it. The school is overwhelmingly African-American, so it's very exciting for them, despite being 6 years old. Not to mention that I doubt many of them have the luxury of TiVo, so watching at home isn't much of an option.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Don't you think though that by making it so "special" it might be putting the first seed of racism into some of the kids heads? My daughter was asking why everyone was making such a big deal about the fact that a black man won the Presidency. It never entered her head it was in any way unusual until all the uproar about it. I wish it would tone down a bit, that's all. I would have felt the same about a woman.
Oh, well.
It's history. Knowing that slavery, segregation, the Civil Rights Movement, etc all happened doesn't make you racist, it gives you perspective. This whole thing was bigger for my parents than me, because they remember segregation (both legal and implied) and Civil Rights, whereas I grew up in the '80s-90s and have no real idea of what this could be like. My father talked about how he truly never thought this would happen and his childhood memories of the Freedom Riders leaving Philadelphia and coming back all beaten.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Quote:

I think the inauguration of any president, of any color or gender, in the US should be watched by as many people as possible- including children. It's significant that we have an orderly, constitutional transfer of power. I voted and campaigned for Obama, but I would have watched if McCain won- my kids watched the past 2 Bush inaugurations, as did I, and I attended the elder Bush inauguration. It's not partisan.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
...so, the people who watched in offices where working and listening to it in the background??? Puh-leese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education