Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 AM

193 posts, read 813,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
However, I do doubt elementary kids would even know, care, or remember any of it
They certainly know and care, my oldest is in 2nd grade, and she's been mentioning it for awhile now, that the 20th is finally going to be the day Obama is officially our new president. She's been very excited, and has been watching it live online for the past few minutes (granted, neither she nor I are keen to watch hours of people arriving/greeting, but she's certainly interested in the main event).

I still remember staying up late with my parents (mainly I just remember their excitement & them fiddling with the tv reception) to hear the results for the 1980 election (I was 3 yrs old). While some children may not remember the details once they are older (though many will, this is indeed a historical moment, think of all the little kids who remembered JFK being killed), encouraging interest in political history/current events at a young age certainly is beneficial. And no, I don't think it's exactly the same to watch a taped version, but it's better than nothing.

As others have mentioned, missing a couple hours of class to watch this is certainly time better spent than some other common activities (pep rallies, drawn out assemblies, non-educational field trips, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Don't you think though that by making it so "special" it might be putting the first seed of racism into some of the kids heads? My daughter was asking why everyone was making such a big deal about the fact that a black man won the Presidency. It never entered her head it was in any way unusual until all the uproar about it. I wish it would tone down a bit, that's all. I would have felt the same about a woman.
Oh, well.
Why do you continue to deny the historical significance of this event?

If your daughter doesn't think its unusual that a black man was elected President she needs to learn a little more history, seeing as it never has happened before.

It has only been 40 odd years since the end of segregation and the "true" right to vote for blacks...140 years since the end of the Civil War.

Why should an event that many in this country considered to be only a dream, the election of a black man as President, be viewed as "just another day"

History will ultimately judge whether or not President Obama was more than just a trailblazer, but this is the dawn of a new day in America whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why do you continue to deny the historical significance of this event?

Why should an event that many in this country considered to be only a dream, the election of a black man as President, be viewed as "just another day"
I think it's the only way some folks can cope with that fact.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
I watched it today in class. The teacher hooked up a computer to a projector and we watched it via CNN.com. Some students watched it, and some continued to look at plankton under a microscope.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
The answer is that all presidents deserve the same amount of respect,coverage and attention to the inauguration. I agree that the reson why so much attention has been given to Obama is because he is the first Black president and therefore making it more historical. If this is so,then I hope that if the next president happens to be a hispanic ,chinenese or a Jewish I hope they get this amount of covergae as Obama is getting today down to the coins and plates!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hispanicwoman View Post
The answer is that all presidents deserve the same amount of respect,coverage and attention to the inauguration. I agree that the reson why so much attention has been given to Obama is because he is the first Black president and therefore making it more historical. If this is so,then I hope that if the next president happens to be a hispanic ,chinenese or a Jewish I hope they get this amount of covergae as Obama is getting today down to the coins and plates!
I think this is more of a white/minority barrier. Yes, it's great that we now have validation that this country isn't near as racist as many would like to believe. I don't think we need giant celebrations for every individual race whenever a particular barrier has been broken. Give yourselves (if you’re a minority) more credit than that.

I think we should dwell on other issues because we have plenty.

Had a black man been appointed as president in any other period of time it would be more appropriate and easier to focus on color. However, there is too much else to address.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I think this is more of a white/minority barrier. Yes, it's great that we now have validation that this country isn't near as racist as many would like to believe. I don't think we need giant celebrations for every individual race whenever a particular barrier has been broken. Give yourselves (if you’re a minority) more credit than that.

I think we should dwell on other issues because we have plenty.

Had a black man been appointed as president in any other period of time it would be more appropriate and easier to focus on color. However, there is too much else to address.
Number 1, Obama wasn't appointed, he was elected.....HUGE distinction even if only a poor choice of words...

Number 2, Why does anyone feel the need to reject the monumental importance and historical significance of this day?? Any YES the significance DOES have to do with the race of the individual in question....

Yes Mr Obama has huge challenges to face completely unrelated to his race and I hope and believe he will be up to the challenge...

It has been over 60 years since Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball and that date is STILL revered as a monumental watershed moment in US history.....yet the ELECTION of an African American PRESIDENT isn't at least as monumental?? I would say significantly more so and this date will be referenced for generations to come.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Number 1, Obama wasn't appointed, he was elected.....HUGE distinction even if only a poor choice of words...

Number 2, Why does anyone feel the need to reject the monumental importance and historical significance of this day?? Any YES the significance DOES have to do with the race of the individual in question....

Yes Mr Obama has huge challenges to face completely unrelated to his race and I hope and believe he will be up to the challenge...

It has been over 60 years since Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball and that date is STILL revered as a monumental watershed moment in US history.....yet the ELECTION of an African American PRESIDENT isn't at least as monumental?? I would say significantly more so and this date will be referenced for generations to come.
First, I do know the difference between being elected and appointed. It was a mistake of words...get over it. I think that was pretty obvious.

Second, who the hell is rejecting the importance of the first black president? I'm simply cautioning people taking a blind eye to the issues that will directly affect them.

Congrats, a first black president. Like I said before, maybe this could be a springboard to stuff the race card back into peoples pockets and get to work on real problems.

The election speaks volumes for the poeple of the US, however, it speaks jack for Obama himself. So far, he's been elected.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

207 posts, read 705,179 times
I just want to know if the people who are asking "why is this significant" or stating that "it does not really matter" & similiar statements, are teachers. I hope not as it would show that those teachers are sooo far out of the loop it is scary. It's also scary if those people are parents but at least the parents are not teaching their views to 30 children everyday.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Anyone who says this was not a historical or significant inauguration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education