Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Isn't that actually a fairly good reason to have kids watch the inauguration in school - that TV isn't just for goofing off?

The inauguration is also an important part of our political process ... an important part of who we are as a nation.
Agreed. It's never a bad idea for kids to be exposed to current events. With all the things that are truly a waste of time going on in schools, this one really just isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
However, I do doubt elementary kids would even know, care, or remember any of it... ...
I hear ya, but you never know. As a young elementary schooler, I crystal clearly remember being in summer school when Nixon was impeached, and being "forced" to watch because it was historical. I'm glad I was there, so to speak. With all of the hub bub about this historic event - perhaps the kids will have a deeper memory of it and will appreciate "being there".

Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Really? You really think that it is more beneficial for children to be drilled on meaningless drivel to pass a meaningless test than to see the inaugeration of the first Black President? Or any President?

I'm flabbergasted by this.
Thanks for saying this. How many times does a kid need to "practice" the same nonsense over and over and over? Watching half an hour of living history cannot possibly be more important that reading some inane passage and answering some inane questions.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I hear ya, but you never know. As a young elementary schooler, I crystal clearly remember being in summer school when Nixon was impeached, and being "forced" to watch because it was historical. I'm glad I was there, so to speak. With all of the hub bub about this historic event - perhaps the kids will have a deeper memory of it and will appreciate "being there".
I absolutely remember the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I was in third grade, and it was my twin brothers' birthday. I remember sitting down and talking about it in a Girl Scout meeting after school, also. We had all been following coverage due to Christa McAuliffe and the Teacher in Space program.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times
when I was in elementary school we watched the OJ trial

Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Ah, yes, that historic event.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
It amazes me that the OP would be upset that her child will miss maybe TWO PERIODS because the teacher is going to MAKE the students watch a president swearing into office. That won't happen again for four years. So, watching something that will go into history books, really isn't worth giving up the two periods of "instruction"? Please, teachers waste more time than that on a regular basis and I'll bet she doesn't make an issue about it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It amazes me that the OP would be upset that her child will miss maybe TWO PERIODS because the teacher is going to MAKE the students watch a president swearing into office. That won't happen again for four years. So, watching something that will go into history books, really isn't worth giving up the two periods of "instruction"? Please, teachers waste more time than that on a regular basis and I'll bet she doesn't make an issue about it.
Perhaps the teacher could consider the inauguration a double session of social studies, skip SS the next day and use the time to make up the classes missed. There are ways to accomodate something this historic!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
When I was in grade school, I can rmeember when we took an hour or so out of the afternoon to sit in the auditorium and watch Alan Sheperd go into space. I can't remember much else we "had" to watch.

I taught school 30 years and over the years, we were ordered by principals to have our kids watch certain events. (Several were inaugurations.) Given this is a fairly unique inauguration, an hour and a half out of the OP's kids school day isn't going to cause a critical uproar in their education.

OP needs to just tape it and watch and discuss at home with the kids.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
I would pull my kid out... Thank god for private schools!

My child is in school to learn not to watch an inauguration of a president.
You didn't see schools sticking young children in front of a TV when 9/11 happened did you?
No. Perhaps due to content BUT that was historical too.

They are in school to learn. And to be honest most kids could give a crap about watching something like this unless they are older and have an understanding of it, to them it's just a FREE PASS out of class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education