Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times

Advertisements

I am one of greatest people personality wise that you could ever meet. But as my wife, freinds, and family says, I am a totally different person around my kids. I work with middle school kids so my experience is so much different. I even act differently from class to class. Some classes I can really cater to and others I have to be such a hard ass to keep them moving and on task. It is so easy at home with my DD to get her to act right and do what she is supposed to do as I would assume from most parents (although I have read some horror stories on the forums from parents) but when I am in a room with 26-30 students it is a different story. It is kinda like acting.

There are some students that are just nice and need an extra push. That is where I think this teacher is failing you. It is hard to differentiate instruction for so many students though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyan1635 View Post
My daughter is five and in kindergarten. Her teacher says she has trouble staying on task. She has received 2 pink tickets for insubordination for not doing her work.
Mod cut - inappropriate language What kind of insanity is afflicting your school?

Quote:
One was at the beginning of the year, and one was right after Christmas break. When I asked the teacher to show me the work, I discovered that in my opinion, the teacher's expectations were too high.
Kindergarten?

Quote:
I think my daughter was not completing the work b/c it was too difficult.
That particular assignment was to free write in her journal--think of a topic, write some sentences & draw a picture to go with it. My daughter is not this advanced with her writing skills. The teacher told me that she should be by now.
Kindergarten?

Quote:
This assignment (& from appearances, all others) was to be done independently. The teacher is very big on the students working indenpendently. On papers sent home, she always make a point to write when she has to help her with the work. I think the independent work can be pushed too much for this age. She has to learn somehow, which means someone needs to be teaching her, not just saying do it yourself. I have had 3 conferences with the teacher this year and one with the principal about 3 weeks ago.
Independence is great....another 5-6 years from now...not at age 5!! Amazing!

Quote:
Also, the discipline style seems over the top. I had a counselor at another school tell me I would have received a phone call about my daughter not completing work, rather than a pink ticket sent home for insubordination.

I just found out that my daughter has been sitting in the corner away from the other students for two weeks. The teacher moved her desk over there b/c she thinks it helps her "stay on task". She is in a corner, so she is surrounded by 2 walls, and then the teacher added two partitions to block her off from the rest of the room. This seems malicious to me as I cannot see any teacher thinking this is a good idea. I am meeting with the teacher, principal, & school counselor tomorrow. Any comments/ideas on how to handle would be appreciated.
Get her out of the classroom. If you see the principal and counselor supporting the teacher, get your kid out of there.

Insane!
S.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-17-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
Now that I have thought about your daughter's last encounter with the teacher some more, trying to get your daughter out of the class in the way that winemg posted, might not be a bad idea.

By approaching the administration with this request, it will be clear that you are not going to let the teacher manipulate your daughter, and you are giving the school a solution to the problem wothout making them have to believe what the teacher did (or admitting that it could be possible!).

In our school, no switching is allowed, so I could not have used this (pre-set # of kids in each class and in the school).

Old 02-04-2010, 05:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
It's nice that you all are so concerned about OP's kid and all....but this thread is over a year old. The kid doesn't even have the same teacher, isn't in kindergarten anymore.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
WOW sounds like my sons kindergarten teacher! Absolutely insane! My sons kindergarten teacher goes as far as to nit pick EVERYTHING he does, all while singling him out from the other students. He threw a milk carton under the lunch table, he laughed, he did this he did that. A bunch of crap! This teacher has got it out for my poor 5 year old. Sad thing is she is making his thoughts on school a bad one!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
As NCyank pointed out this is an old thread.

The OP has not posted on city-data since March of 2009

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

221 posts, read 799,020 times
never mind..saw how old this is

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I thank your right to do and feel how your feeling but i also think you should stay clam yes definitly take notes and find out more information is her behavior also a factor or just he understanding of the assignments perhaps some one on one help from the teacher would be more productive over seperating her from the rest of the class.

Im having similar issues my self I was just told today when I walked my 5 year old son to class that his teacher has decided that it would be a good idea to help him stay focused in class during independent work time to seperate my son from his normal group at a table. She had a cubical all set up for him up by her desk for him to sit at, she set a goal for him to meet to be able to return to his group table however she assures me that he will be returning to the table for any and all group work. She said that she has told him and she said he understands that he is not in any trouble she said she explained his goal to do his work independently in hopes he wouldn't get distracted by other thing in the class room as she says he normal does therfore no completing his independant work. Im torn though part of me thinks this may a benefit to him but i don't want him to feel alone excluded or different in any way. He is a young 5 his birthday was a week before school started this school year, and he is the smallest in his class also so to me hes just not as mature persay as most of his class. She says shes made him he special helper to help give him confidence so he doesnt feel secluded as much. as I said im torn.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
I don't have kids so I'm going out on a limb here. I tenth all the advice about getting more information and a meeting. However if your child truly is not up to the standards of the curriculum thus far, it could be partially the teacher's fault. Normally I'd say go easy on the teacher because I'm sure it's not easy being a teacher and this teacher may just be trying to help. Isolating a child to cut distractions is one thing. But putting the child to the wall does seem a little extreme. How does your child feel about this teacher?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Quote:
My daughter is five and in kindergarten. Her teacher says she has trouble staying on task. She has received 2 pink tickets for insubordination for not doing her work. One was at the beginning of the year, and one was right after Christmas break. When I asked the teacher to show me the work, I discovered that in my opinion, the teacher's expectations were too high. I think my daughter was not completing the work b/c it was too difficult. That particular assignment was to free write in her journal--think of a topic, write some sentences & draw a picture to go with it. My daughter is not this advanced with her writing skills. The teacher told me that she should be by now. This assignment (& from appearances, all others) was to be done independently. The teacher is very big on the students working indenpendently. On papers sent home, she always make a point to write when she has to help her with the work. I think the independent work can be pushed too much for this age. She has to learn somehow, which means someone needs to be teaching her, not just saying do it yourself. I have had 3 conferences with the teacher this year and one with the principal about 3 weeks ago.

In the past month I have compared my daughter's curriculum/requirements with another school district in our area and it seems to be more difficult. For example I compared homework. One night, my daughter had to write some sentences using sight words; the homework for the other school was to tell a parent a sentence using sight words. My daughter has about 15 to 20 minutes of homework, 4 nights a week. I've had other teachers tell me they give about that amount, or a little more for the entire week. Also, the discipline style seems over the top. I had a counselor at another school tell me I would have received a phone call about my daughter not completing work, rather than a pink ticket sent home for insubordination.

I just found out that my daughter has been sitting in the corner away from the other students for two weeks. The teacher moved her desk over there b/c she thinks it helps her "stay on task". She is in a corner, so she is surrounded by 2 walls, and then the teacher added two partitions to block her off from the rest of the room. This seems malicious to me as I cannot see any teacher thinking this is a good idea. I am meeting with the teacher, principal, & school counselor tomorrow. Any comments/ideas on how to handle would be appreciated.
Oh my. I was thinking "typical over-reacting parent" until I got down to the part about confining the child to solitary. Get her out of that class. If the administration will not comply, then take her out of school. You can "home school" for the rest of the year. I will usually defend teachers, as I am one, but this woman obviously does not know how to deal with very young children. How sad that this is your child's first experience with school. I hope negative associations do not stay with her after this experience. Please keep your comments at home positive and be that proverbial "squeaky wheel". Stand up for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education