Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any accounts (529?) that would allow someone to save for their "unborn" child!

Obviously, one could put the money in a MMA or any other type of savings account...but i'm asking specifically for education accounts that might give you an incentive.

ps. is there such an account that would allow you to pay todays rate for college in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
529 plans or some states let you lock in state tution now for your future college student.

Unborn? No...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
529 plans or some states let you lock in state tution now for your future college student.

Unborn? No...
how come?
do they keep track by SSN? is that why?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I was wondering if there are any accounts (529?) that would allow someone to save for their "unborn" child!

Obviously, one could put the money in a MMA or any other type of savings account...but i'm asking specifically for education accounts that might give you an incentive.

ps. is there such an account that would allow you to pay todays rate for college in the future?
Best way is to move to Canada.(no joke)

Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM

90 posts, read 321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Best way is to move to Canada.(no joke)
I second this suggestion. I spent my junior year abroad as an exchange student in France and it was an incredible experience. One of the most interesting things I learned is how relatively inefficient and expensive the US educational system is.

In France (and in most other European countries), students do not waste time taking a bunch of required classes in subjects unrelated to their majors. It is assumed that students learned these subjects in high school and there is no need to repeat them. It's also assumed that students have enough direction to pick an educational path at a young age -- there are no "undeclared" or "undecided" majors. Nor is there any hand-holding. Students are given a syllabus at the beginning of the year and are expected to do the work on their own. There's usually just a final exam. The upside: most degree programs are only three years.

There are no fancy gyms or football stadiums at French universities. Students use facilities for the general public in the cities where they live. But the tuition is a fraction of what Americans pay.

If I were looking at going to college now, I would seriously consider going abroad for the entire degree. It's such a better value than even in-state universities in the US.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobearsgo View Post
I second this suggestion. I spent my junior year abroad as an exchange student in France and it was an incredible experience. One of the most interesting things I learned is how relatively inefficient and expensive the US educational system is.

In France (and in most other European countries), students do not waste time taking a bunch of required classes in subjects unrelated to their majors. It is assumed that students learned these subjects in high school and there is no need to repeat them. It's also assumed that students have enough direction to pick an educational path at a young age -- there are no "undeclared" or "undecided" majors. Nor is there any hand-holding. Students are given a syllabus at the beginning of the year and are expected to do the work on their own. There's usually just a final exam. The upside: most degree programs are only three years.

There are no fancy gyms or football stadiums at French universities. Students use facilities for the general public in the cities where they live. But the tuition is a fraction of what Americans pay.

If I were looking at going to college now, I would seriously consider going abroad for the entire degree. It's such a better value than even in-state universities in the US.
I see your point up to the last part. Firstly, the whole educational system abroad is different. At some point they allow you to separate between a vocational path and going to college (I personally would like to see this in the US, though doubt it will happen). So really your last year of high school is spent in college prep and probably isn't that different from a "general ed" type curriculum.

I do disagree on it being a better value though. We have an unfavorable exchange rate to Europe, not to mention tuition for non-EU residents when coupled with the exchange rate certainly comes out to more than you'd pay for a state school. Add this to it being expensive to live in to begin with, not to mention with that unfavorable exchange rate, as well as the fact that European schools don't really give out scholarships to the extent that American universities do. Finally, you're not going get good name recognition in the States. Even if your university is well respected in the country or Europe as a whole, many employers probably have never heard of it outside of Oxford/Cambridge.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:21 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
how come?
do they keep track by SSN? is that why?

They do that because of tax implications and fiduciary responsibilities I assume. Yes, they require a SSN.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 PM

90 posts, read 321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I see your point up to the last part. Firstly, the whole educational system abroad is different. At some point they allow you to separate between a vocational path and going to college (I personally would like to see this in the US, though doubt it will happen). So really your last year of high school is spent in college prep and probably isn't that different from a "general ed" type curriculum.

I do disagree on it being a better value though. We have an unfavorable exchange rate to Europe, not to mention tuition for non-EU residents when coupled with the exchange rate certainly comes out to more than you'd pay for a state school. Add this to it being expensive to live in to begin with, not to mention with that unfavorable exchange rate, as well as the fact that European schools don't really give out scholarships to the extent that American universities do. Finally, you're not going get good name recognition in the States. Even if your university is well respected in the country or Europe as a whole, many employers probably have never heard of it outside of Oxford/Cambridge.
I would encourage anyone intersted in studying abroad to check into the cost. The university I attended charged only a few hundred a semester compared to thousands here. Even with a bad exchange rate, the cost would be significantly lower. European schools don't have to play to scholarship game because they don't artifically jack up tuition in the first place and do not hike tuition every year far beyond the rate of inflation.

As for employment, international experience and fluency in foreign language is something that can set you apart from the crowd.

The main concern, though, is that the student is emotionally prepared to go far from home and go study independently.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
You most certainly can open a 529 plan for an "unborn" child, except you will just have to keep it in your name. Once you have a child you can change the beneficiary of the account to that child. 529 plans don't have to be used for children, adults can use them as well, you just have to use them for qualified educational expenses.

Now, I am not a fan of 529 plans because of that limitation. I think there are better options (safer options at that) unless you live in a state that has matching funds for the 529 that you can take advantage of.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You most certainly can open a 529 plan for an "unborn" child, except you will just have to keep it in your name. Once you have a child you can change the beneficiary of the account to that child. 529 plans don't have to be used for children, adults can use them as well, you just have to use them for qualified educational expenses.

Now, I am not a fan of 529 plans because of that limitation. I think there are better options (safer options at that) unless you live in a state that has matching funds for the 529 that you can take advantage of.
is Virginia one of those states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education