Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Even in lily white school districts, kids fight. What do they do to 2 kids who got into a brawl? In Catholic school, I saw that they got to stay, especially if rich Mommy and Daddy greased palms. In one case, a teacher slugged a priest who taught science. He got to stay. Not much of a collegiate career, but he became a cop. At my second HS, not as highbrow, it was not tolerated. There was quite an exodus at the end of junior year to public school for people who did not measure up for benchmarks in citizenship.

I'm also curious if 2 people where involved in a physical fight in college? It could happen, though I haven't seen it. How is it typically addressed? Is the transcript affected? I mean, this has nothing to do with academic performance?

Any first-hand experience or knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
Not sure what they will do in our local high school this year because they just started the demerit system. However, in the past, a fight was 5 to 10 days out of school suspension, which would go on their permanent record.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,345 times
In college, the "college" won't do anything. If you have already applied to the school and been accepted, no worries, unless you have a scholarship - athletic or academic (and they're performing background checks every year). The worst thing would be to have your "fight partner" file a police report for "aggrivated assault". If you're a high-profile athlete, the police (occasionally) will contact the coaching staff and the matter is resolved internally. If you have an academic scholarship that does perform background checks, then you might loose it. Either way, if you're trying to get into grad school and they do a background check (as the good ones do), you might have to explain the situation.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
This is a few years back, but in my HS the punishments would range from nothing, to a five day in-school suspension, I never seen anything past three days in-school, and never heard of someone getting out of school suspension, I do not think they had it. I know things have changed, it use to be they would not even punish the person for self defense, now they punish both parties regardless of the reasons or if the person was in self defense, makes no sense.

I never saw a fight or the results of in college, I imagine campus police would be involved and it would be treated almost the same as two normal adults fighting.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
In my high school and middle school they did nothing, unless you unfortunately got into a fight with a child from a well to do family. His parents like someone else said would "grease" some palms and get you into trouble, but not their own child.

At Penn State, there were fights all the time at parties. Some of the football players got into fights. There was even as serial rapist or at least molester, I cant recall. But it was all off campus, so I guess the school had no jurisdiction.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
At our high school, fighters generally get arrested, especially if there are more than two people fighting. The students are restrained by the security guards, the police are called, and the kids go out handcuffed in a police car.

In the adult world, fighting is usually an assault charge. The district attorney's office determines how the case will proceed.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Even in lily white school districts, kids fight.
Really?

Did you stop and think about how that comes across, and how offensive many people will find that statement, or are you making a statement about dark skinned students?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-16-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 08:20 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Even in lily white school districts, kids fight. What do they do to 2 kids who got into a brawl? In Catholic school, I saw that they got to stay, especially if rich Mommy and Daddy greased palms. In one case, a teacher slugged a priest who taught science. He got to stay. Not much of a collegiate career, but he became a cop. At my second HS, not as highbrow, it was not tolerated. There was quite an exodus at the end of junior year to public school for people who did not measure up for benchmarks in citizenship.

I'm also curious if 2 people where involved in a physical fight in college? It could happen, though I haven't seen it. How is it typically addressed? Is the transcript affected? I mean, this has nothing to do with academic performance?

Any first-hand experience or knowledge?
My high school would suspend them for 10 days, have 5 day straight parent visits, stick them in detention for 2 weeks, sit and be bored session, then kick them off to the degenerate high school.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I don't know what college one of the previous posters attended, but at the college where I work the campus police would on that in a minute. One or both parties would most likely get arrested. In addition, our student affairs office would also get involved, and that would be part of their record.

At the high school where I used to work, it's zero tolerance with 10 days out of school suspension.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
At our high school, fighters generally get arrested, especially if there are more than two people fighting. The students are restrained by the security guards, the police are called, and the kids go out handcuffed in a police car.

In the adult world, fighting is usually an assault charge. The district attorney's office determines how the case will proceed.
We have actual full time police officers at our local high schools which make the handcuffing and arrests a lot easier. I think that results in a lot less fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education