Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Really?

Did you stop and think about how that comes across, and how offensive many people will find that statement, or are you making a statement about dark skinned students?
Whatever. Do you expect fighting to be the norm at Beverly Hills High, for example? Give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In my high school and middle school they did nothing, unless you unfortunately got into a fight with a child from a well to do family. His parents like someone else said would "grease" some palms and get you into trouble, but not their own child.

At Penn State, there were fights all the time at parties. Some of the football players got into fights. There was even as serial rapist or at least molester, I cant recall. But it was all off campus, so I guess the school had no jurisdiction.
Sickening to scenario 1 for the "greased" palms.
Sickening to scenario 2 for the fact that it was off-campus, so ok.

However, take 2 students getting into a fight in a college corridor or snack bar, then what happens?
Charges, jail time, suspension and/or transcript tagged? I'd be interested in knowing. Sometimes, I saw it fall slightly short of that.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Give it a rest.
Lol. You make a statement like that, you deserve to be challenged. Give it a rest? Not likely. You chose to start a thread with that as your opening sentence. You should expect to get a variety of responses.

But if you have a link comparing fighting rates at BHHS and a school with a majority student body of non-white students with an equal socio-economic status, I'll read it. Because comparing BHHS (in particular) and a school in, say, La Habra, is apples and oranges. But link away. I'll take a look.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-17-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Kids fighting in high school is par for the course no matter the makeup of the school district. Have you met any adolescent boys lately? You've never seen teen girls go at it? Please.

Anyway, in high school (public ones anyway) people are legally committed to try to educate everyone no matter what. So while there are suspensions and whatnot doled out, generally they will give kids multiple chances. If it gets so bad that a child gets expelled, the state will still try to send them to an alternative school of some sort.

Now in college, if it happens on campus, campus police are on the perpetrators like white on rice and then they are usually referred to Judicial Affairs (which is a panel made up of school administrators and students, usually) who hear the case and dole out a punishment according to that school's established code or conduct. Tolerance levels vary per school, but generally the first offense wont get anyone kicked out though you may end up on probation. I think its a bit of a myth that parents can buy their kid's way out of trouble. The parent would have to be a HUGE donor for that. Generally the college will be more concerned with potential liability issues than scared of anyone's whiny parents.

If it happens off campus your ass belongs to the local police. God luck with that. Heh. If convicted of something, the school might kick in with an additional punishment of some sort.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. You make a statement like that, you deserve to be challenged. Give it a rest? Not likely. You chose to start a thread with that as your opening sentence. You should expect to get a variety of responses.

But if you have a link comparing fighting rates at BHHS and a school with a majority student body of non-white students with an equal socio-economic status, I'll read it. Because comparing BHHS (in particular) and a school in, say, La Habra, is apples and oranges. But link away. I'll take a look.
Sounds like I ruffled some politically correct sensitivities in SoCal. Must be a new thing. It wasn't like that in LA when I was growing up. At any rate, would you like to comment on the repercussions of fighting instead of how I worded my statement?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
School resource officer injured in fight at Tucker High School | www.wsbtv.com

10 days suspension, Seeing Judge today on criminal charges.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
At my high school, people would be kicked out immediately, whether they started it or not. In college, only saw 1 fight on campus, among students, during school hours and they were both arrested. In college, I almost fought several times with a few thug students but, I chose not to, cause, I knew I would be arrested.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I guess it depends on the severity of the fights. When I was in college there would generally be punches thrown in 1 out of 3 intramural football games, and late night fights outside the dorms were common as well. This was an elite liberal arts college. As far as I know, no one was ever disciplined.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
The one constant I noted during high school and college was that the rich kids walked away untarnished, just as they are able through the rest of their lives.

At Catholic school, the kids were expelled, exceptions as noted above.

Public school meted out suspensions. There were a couple of attempted expulsions, but the families pulled the race card and the charges were dropped.

Behavior in schools is simply out of control. Really, when police offers are required to keep the peace, certain kids don't belong in mainstream schools and it isn't up to the district to mollycoddle these misfits whose parents were/are unwilling to parent properly.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I went to a Catholic high school. We only had a couple of fights per year. The kids who fought got 5 days detention, and if they continued to get into fights, they got expelled. There was never any hint of weapons, and I don't remember anybody actually being injured by one of those fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education