Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times

Advertisements

They screw local businesses -low wage growth for El Paso big deal. Bigger is not better. Are ElPaso taxes lower than some of the nicer small communities in Texas? NO less traffic ? NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM

135 posts, read 241,061 times
How exactly do they screw local business? If the house ( Senate Side ) gets its way, Minimum wage will be $10.10 here shortly. Many small businesses can not afford that, and will have to let some employees go, places like Wal Mart can, and will most likely employee these people.

I never said Bigger was Better, I simply wanted to know how they lowered property values, and yet this answer given still does not answer that question.

Taxes.. well we don't have a state income tax, so you are right, but city taxes we may, I have not really looked into it, so I can not give a proper answer as I really don't know. Traffic has been on a rise here I think mainly due to the influx of soldiers and their families, there maybe other factors like the violence in Juarez and maybe even job growth that has brought new people to our city. Still what have these things got to do with property values?

Do you think the new Loop 375 in N.E. El Paso lower property values? There are homes that butt-up to it, are those homes now worth less, or more due t the ease of access, or remain the same? Does a Wal Mart in the area lower property values because of more traffic, or does having one draw more people to the area, with ease of shopping near by?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Local businesses spedn their profits and often buy their goods locally. Wal Marts' profits go to corp headquarters with a tiny amount back to dividends.

Where do you get (make up ) your information. Wal Mart pasy $7.16 for cashiers and less than others.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...nc/Hourly_Rate

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 AM

Where did I make up any information? Please reread my statement again.

Thanks for providing the link, it seems you have skewed the pay rate by going by the lowest number and not the highest, or better yet a happy medium number. $7.51 is above minimum wage, right? I also notice that they have 4 out of 5 happy faces for job satisfaction. I mention the $10.10 an hour, because Obama and the Democrats are fighting hard to get that pay hike for all Americans passed now. JR Produce opened on Fairbanks after Wal Mart, and they do great business, Big 8 on Dyer also after Wal Mart, the store is doing well, I see many retailers doing well around Wal Mart, many local owned business, because as people shop they browse near by stores. That maybe why they are one of the planned corner stores of the new shopping center the Neighborhood Market is going into out in N.E. El Paso. Not only a new Market store but a Sams club to boot. That would make for 2 super centers, 2 markets and a Sams, stuff the N.E. has been asking for. I understand you have issue with Wal Mart and do not care for the business. But you are allowing your bias to cloud your thinking and therefore have not been able to provide an answer to how Wal Mart lowers property values or prove other than opinion on how it hurts local business in El Paso.

Again I have to ask, because someone has still failed to provide the answer as to how they lower property values?

HOW DO THEY ( WAL MART ) LOWER PROPERTY VALUES? Why is my home worth less because a Wal Mart is near by, why is the shopping mall near the Wal Mart worth less or the land it sits on due to Wal Mart?

Last edited by Bron_Brodir; 04-04-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 PM

I did not make the comment about property values. You need the ability to be able to read who posts what. ( hint see the name of each poster and what comes under it is THEIR post).

Most Wal mart workers make under $25,000 a year. Big deal that after many years they may go up to $9 an hour.

Most Walmart Store Workers Didn't Earn $25,000 Last Year

This opening of more Wal Mart stores is of no great benefit to EL Paso --unless you are in dire need of of one of these jobs because no one else will hire you.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
How exactly do they screw local business? If the house ( Senate Side ) gets its way, Minimum wage will be $10.10 here shortly. Many small businesses can not afford that, and will have to let some employees go, places like Wal Mart can, and will most likely employee these people.

I never said Bigger was Better, I simply wanted to know how they lowered property values, and yet this answer given still does not answer that question.

Taxes.. well we don't have a state income tax, so you are right, but city taxes we may, I have not really looked into it, so I can not give a proper answer as I really don't know. Traffic has been on a rise here I think mainly due to the influx of soldiers and their families, there maybe other factors like the violence in Juarez and maybe even job growth that has brought new people to our city. Still what have these things got to do with property values?

Do you think the new Loop 375 in N.E. El Paso lower property values? There are homes that butt-up to it, are those homes now worth less, or more due t the ease of access, or remain the same? Does a Wal Mart in the area lower property values because of more traffic, or does having one draw more people to the area, with ease of shopping near by?
Affirmative.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I did not make the comment about property values. You need the ability to be able to read who posts what. ( hint see the name of each poster and what comes under it is THEIR post).

Most Wal mart workers make under $25,000 a year. Big deal that after many years they may go up to $9 an hour.

Most Walmart Store Workers Didn't Earn $25,000 Last Year

This opening of more Wal Mart stores is of no great benefit to EL Paso --unless you are in dire need of of one of these jobs because no one else will hire you.
It's no great benefit to anyone but Wal Mart executives and majority shareholders, that's it.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 AM

Ocean, I never said you did. Also thank you for your concern on my employment status... But I assure you I am already employeed and well compensated.

Also note you posted the link on pay... It also gave high marks on reviews and employees satisfaction.

As for benefits, shame on Wal Mart for wanting to profit... Shame on them. All the small business must not want to profit or grow.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 AM

Nothing wrong with making a profit -I own half a business and a my personal practice. The point is Wal Mart is no big deal and you seem to be the only one celebrating their opening. For someone without a high school education Wal Mart is probably ok but I'd much rather see other types of business come to El Paso. Growth for growth's sake alone does not impress me. I chaired El Paso's Community Development Committee 1980-5 and tried to implement more green space,recognition of historic districts and better quality housing for El Paso. I predicted traffic and congestion would become an issue one day.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:44 AM

Growth is Growth, no matter where it comes from, so yes I celebrate it. Besides the areas where these are being built already have traffic, or need the draw Wal Mart brings to new area markets. N.E. El Paso has not had a Sam's club and residents have had to travel to the East or West side to shop at one, so having one on that side of town should help reduce traffic in those areas some. The building of a new Neighborhood Market in Far N.E. El Paso as part of a strip mall, will help lower traffic to the Wal Mart on Woodrow Bean Transmountain Road, and provide an anchor store to draw shoppers to other stores in that mall. It will also provide much needed jobs in the area for local teens and unemployed workers. Now I know you'll argue that the pay is not much, but something is always better than nothing. I was raised that you flip burgers even if your skill set is higher or education better if it is all you can get until something better comes along. You do what you have too to survive and take care of your family and maintain your bills.

I am all for more green space, keeping our historic places, and for better quality housing. Traffic and congestion will be an issue no matter what we do, its part of growing the city. I wish we could get better employers here, better pay, and more options, but being a border city its seems that may never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso