Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 AM

879 posts, read 3,038,326 times

Advertisements

The five properties are located on the 200 block of San Antonio in between Oregon and Mesa, they are owned by River Oaks Properties. These buildings are located next to the historical Caples building.

The demolition has already began on one of the buildings, while several preservation groups are trying to save the rest of the buildings. River Oaks has explained that the buildings don't have any real historical importance, are severely blighted, and would cost a lot of money to restore. They haven't really given any details as to what might go up in its place. None of the buildings are located in the city's historical district and the city didn't even put up a fight to stop the demolition.

The preservationists groups argue that we are tearing down too much of our downtown and that these buildings are a part of our history and should be saved and revitalized. They point to what Paul Foster did with the Mills Building and how many of these buildings can and should be saved.

Here are the buildings in question:

Here's my opinion: Let the wrecking ball knock em all down! None of them look like buildings that are worth saving. The preservationists are really getting in the way of revitalizing our downtown and are trying to protect every single building there. These buildings are nasty and were part of what made downtown El Paso look really bad and cheap for many years. Not every old building is worth saving and just by looking at these eyesores, these should come down in hopes of something nice going up in its place.

Life is finally returning to downtown (Link), several revitalization projects are now going on in downtown. New businesses are starting to spring up and interest in downtown buildings is starting to soar, so why should we stop all this new progress for some old buildings that aren't even worth saving? We shouldn't.

Demolition of 5 buildings begins in Downtown El Paso | KTSM News Channel 9 | News, Weather and Sports | El Paso, Las Cruces, Juarez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
I couldn't agree more! I certainly don't know which buildings are worthy of salvation, but I know them when I see them.

Paul Foster is to be applauded for buying several of the old buildings of architectural and historic value and restoring them to their original condition. But there aren't that many "Paul Fosters" around to do what would need to be done for all of downtown. I don't recall a public outcry when other buildings in the old core of the city were torn town to make room for newer hotels, convention center, art museum, and lately the ball park.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Art Deco...

I don't know, it seems like the Art Deco one (Beauty) could have been restored. It looks like they were three separate buildings and then merged into one... perhaps they could have just taken out the JOSEFINO AL RIO and the little one in the middle and left the Art Deco one. But there lies, the problem, who pays to "restore" the buildings. As sad as it may be, if the buildings are not protected, then the owners can do as they wish. The one with the tree in the middle has no architectural appeal though.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-27-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
The one with the tree in the middle has no architectural appeal though.
Many buildings look much better after you take off the fugly 1960's facades and reveal the original exteriors. I don't know about this one though. My preference would be for developers to keep and improve the streetscape, keep and renovate the front wall, but build a new building behind. Unfortunately the new ball park has created a demand for parking lots.

Toronto example: http://tinyurl.com/qb5zjq9
The facades were kept on this block but it's one new building behind with offices and stores.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,139,860 times
There has not been an evening ball game that was not sold out. Everyone is talking how easy it is to drive in downtown traffic and find parking. I'd only add some parking due to nights like when we had a ball game, Seinfeld, and a concert all in downtown in one night. I wouldn't add too much though. People are finally doing things right. Leaving early, not rushing, being patient...

Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,833,610 times
If we want to talk about downtown revitalization, it looks like it might be that a bunch of potential loft apartments are facing the wrecking ball. I don't know where the money to renovate those buildings would come from, though.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
I'm an old building lover. They have character even if they're not the best. Maybe it's too late to save them -- they've sat with broken windows and non-use for too long. Maybe they can knock down our history and put up another beautiful parking garage in their place.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM

135 posts, read 241,245 times
So what will replace them? I bet a parking Garage.. for the baseball stadium.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 PM

202 posts, read 434,169 times
Ah man! My grandpa told me he bought a pair of jeans there for $3 in 1951. There's no way they can tear that building down. Who can I go complain to about this? Long live that building, its an El Paso treasure.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
So what will replace them? I bet a parking Garage.. for the baseball stadium.
That's also what I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso