Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,771,914 times

Advertisements

Certainly not Palin. I don't even think she will run.

I heard it would take 100,000 new jobs per month to keep pace with the numbers losing their jobs.

This is not a recovery. The person that said it's all about jobs is 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
He is not my favorite person, and no i don't want any part of him again ever. However unless one has a crystal ball, no one can predict what will happen! things have been known to blow up in our faces, when we are so sure something is not going to happen!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,964,593 times
I think the American people are fickle and they can love you one day and hate you the next; then you can make a "comeback" a week later.

No body can predict who will win or lose in 2012.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think the American people are fickle and they can love you one day and hate you the next; then you can make a "comeback" a week later.

No body can predict who will win or lose in 2012.
not only Americans, people in general are fickle.

Nita

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,263,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
IF Obama loses my vote in 2012, it will be because the constitutional professor I elected failed to put the Patriot act in it's rightful place.
In May 2008, Senator Obama voted to continue what I consider illegal wiretapping, a key continuation of Patriot Act policies.

So, by your own logic, you should not have voted for him in 2008.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Certainly not Palin. I don't even think she will run.

I heard it would take 100,000 new jobs per month to keep pace with the numbers losing their jobs.

This is not a recovery. The person that said it's all about jobs is 100% correct.

The jobs number reported each month is a NET number so it's
(jobs created - jobs lost). It's NOT the raw number of jobs created.

To keep up with the growth in the size of the labor pool, we need to create a net of about 125,000 jobs/month to keep the UE rate at the SAME rate.

If we want significant decreases in the UE rate and to 'make up' for jobs lost, we'd need 300,000+ jobs/month (more like 400,00+ to make major gains).

Please keep in mind that the ONLY reason the UE rate is going down is based on Government manipulation and lies. They remove people from the labor pool, which artificially lowers the UE rate. Total BS.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM

^It's not a "lie". It's the way that the index is computed. You might not agree with the index's use, and I tend to believe it is overemphasized and abused. But I wouldn't say it is manipulation of the numbers.

That said, I think that something people are not paying enough attention to is the relationship between all of this Middle East unrest and the continuing rising price of oil/gasoline. The national average for gasoline just hit a 28-month high this week. That is huge news. For a country so dependent on oil and gasoline to power our daily lives and hence our economy, if gas approaches and exceed $4.00/gallon this summer, you will once again see consumer spending decrease and the economic indicators drop. There will be a ripple effect similar to the summer of 2008 when tourism went down and consumer spending dropped not just from job loss but because of increased spending on fuel costs.

This is very problematic and people are not highlighting this enough right now. In fact, if gas prices continue to rise beyond summer 2008 levels, you can bet the US economic "recovery", however minor or major you want to acknowledge, will slow dramatically.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^It's not a "lie". It's the way that the index is computed. You might not agree with the index's use, and I tend to believe it is overemphasized and abused. But I wouldn't say it is manipulation of the numbers.

That said, I think that something people are not paying enough attention to is the relationship between all of this Middle East unrest and the continuing rising price of oil/gasoline. The national average for gasoline just hit a 28-month high this week. That is huge news. For a country so dependent on oil and gasoline to power our daily lives and hence our economy, if gas approaches and exceed $4.00/gallon this summer, you will once again see consumer spending decrease and the economic indicators drop. There will be a ripple effect similar to the summer of 2008 when tourism went down and consumer spending dropped not just from job loss but because of increased spending on fuel costs.

This is very problematic and people are not highlighting this enough right now. In fact, if gas prices continue to rise beyond summer 2008 levels, you can bet the US economic "recovery", however minor or major you want to acknowledge, will slow dramatically.
A valid point on the first & a valid concern on the second.

Ken

Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,304,548 times
5 reasons why Obama will win

1. Sarah Palin
2. Newt Gingrich
3. Mike Huckabee
4. Bobby Jindal
5. Jeb Bush

Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
5 reasons why Obama will win

1. Sarah Palin
2. Newt Gingrich
3. Mike Huckabee
4. Bobby Jindal
5. Jeb Bush
Yes! Mitt Romney isn't on the list. That means Obama does have a shot at losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections