Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,287,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do people really think he could end public education, the federal reserve, and big government? Are people this naive? There is no way 95% of what Ron Paul says would ever happen.
Lets see, Ron Paul has already changed the discussion in America...

I supported him strongly in 2008 and only now am I seeing people talk about debt, nation building, and the loss of our freedoms. Coincidence? I think not.

Ron Paul spawned the tea party movement. Ron Paul may not win the presidency, but he is certainly good at pointing out the failed policies of Keynesian economics that Obama follows. He exposed the Republican party for what it was-- a bunch of RINO's in sheeps clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It was Ron Paul's grass roots organized supporters.

Then it got jacked.
So then it couldn't have been the TEA Party movement that stopped Ron Paul from being in the debates.....

Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 PM

309 posts, read 428,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
You are a sensitive one, eh? Fox News, a leading advocate behind the tea party movement, banned Ron Paul from a Republican debate in 2008.
I supported Ron Paul in 2008 and consider myself part of the Taxed Enough Already crowd, so it quite a stretch to say the Tea Party kept Ron Paul from a debate when the Tea Party supports him.

Fox News does not represent the Tea Party. Many in the Tea Party were extremely upset with the way Dr. Paul was treated during the 2008 debates, Hannity and Beck did marginalize him and consequently lost some credibility with viewers. Please don't continue to confuse the two entities and please quit using the offensive term, it is disgusting.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 PM

355 posts, read 209,995 times
CBS polls the tea parties and finds they’re old, white, pissed off, likely to vote and don’t think they pay too many taxes.

They like Fox News, and they don’t like Ron Paul:

CBS Poll: Fox News Succeeds In Hijacking Tea Parties From Ron Paul | FDL Action

Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,308,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You might want to try to refer to them as tea party. Trying to be insulting right from the title is not a good way to try to start a discussion.
Political correctness is out of control. What's next, we can't call Limbaugh a drug addict but someone who misused chemicals.

Give me a break. To the politically correct crowd I say sit on it.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Except the TEA Party movement didn't come into being until AFTER the 2008 elections.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, but I read his book. He's not the usual kook. I can see why he has some broad appeal. His ideas are radical, but his tempermant seems pretty even. He recognizes he can not do everything he wants to in one or two adminstrations, and he does propose some incremental measures to transition into a different kind of America.

For example, he doesn't want to just abolish Social Security. He realizes that the government made a contract of sorts to those who paid into it, and it should be honored. He'd allow younger workers to opt out immediately, but he'd seek other ways to pay out to those who are already at or near retirment.

His main plan for generating revenue seems to be to end the American Empire. I think one thing this guy can and would do as president is to bring all the troops back home... from pretty much everywhere. He seems to be banking on that one move saving enough money to soften the blow of the reduced tax revenues. How much money would that give us? It's hard to say, but it would be pretty substantial.

Keep in mind too that he supports a very limited presidency (by modern standards). It would be interesting, because he'd be the first president in our history to work to empower the Congress. I don't think any historian or political scientist would disagree with him when he states that the modern president has way more power than the Constitution originally intended. By trying to govern strictly through Constitutional channels, he'd be one of the weakest presidents in the past 150 years. I'm not quite sure how he'd proceed from there. How does a person who advocates radical change achieve those ends with minimal power?
For the life of me, I find nothing radical about him

I actually think Presidents who invade/occupy countries without Congressional declaration of war, to be much more radical than anything I can think of.

I would not consider Paul a weak President, but one of
HIGH MORAL FORTITUDE

Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I like Ron Paul, but this is the reason why I won't vote for him. Some of his ideas are nuts, and the ones that aren't would never get through congress.
Well then, I don't see why you wouldn't vote for him.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
CBS polls the tea parties and finds they’re old, white, pissed off, likely to vote and don’t think they pay too many taxes.

They like Fox News, and they don’t like Ron Paul:

CBS Poll: Fox News Succeeds In Hijacking Tea Parties From Ron Paul | FDL Action
Tea Baggers fear smart people.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,230,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do people really think he could end public education, the federal reserve, and big government? Are people this naive? There is no way 95% of what Ron Paul says would ever happen.
The co-opted Tea-o-cons don't support Paul, they go for a Palin, Bachman or Cain.

Very little of what he says would be implemented but he would change the debate from left/right to authoritarians vs. peace and freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections