Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama vs. Republican
Obama 38 47.50%
Republican 42 52.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

I'm severely disappointed with Obama but republicans have been disappointing me much longer and much harder - except maybe Ron Paul, who is vastly different than nearly every other republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I disagree. Ron Paul isn't like the other candidates. He will not change his principles to get votes-- he has shown this throughout his long career.
He also has never won the republican nomination either. You would be suprised what money and endorsements can do for a candidate

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
The only problem with Obama that can be solely owned by Obama is that he is black and the good-old boys never liked that from day one. After all a black boy running the country. My, my, my. When President Obama won the election the republicans were in a state of shock. The closet racist set down their plan to discredit this black boy and ensure that no black person would ever be elected to such a high office. The republicans wanted this so much that they are willing to cut off their noses to spite their face.
The republicans are willing to sacrifice seniors, veterans, the unemployed, the disabled, children, etc., just to see this black president fail. They are further attempting to bankrupt the US in an effort to abolish Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. In this process of eliminating these entitlements the republicans will want to privatize all much of government as possible by allowing their puppeteers, the major corporations and wealthiest individuals, to take over and profit through the grief and suffering of the people.
I would like to think that President Obama could have done a better job but I must remember the administration he followed. He followed the worst president in history who gave irresponsible tax breaks the the wealthiest people and corporations. Involved the US in an unnecessary war with Iraq killing 5000 Americans and 500,000 Iraqi's and costing a fortune that is unaccounted for. Under GW Bush jobs left the US by the boat load, unemployment soared, and markets collapsed. Considering all that President Obama had to deal with and then coupled with working with a group of arrogant closest racist calling themselves the new republicans it is a miracle that he accomplished anything.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The only problem with Obama that can be solely owned by Obama is that he is black and the good-old boys never liked that from day one. After all a black boy running the country. My, my, my. When President Obama won the election the republicans were in a state of shock. The closet racist set down their plan to discredit this black boy and ensure that no black person would ever be elected to such a high office. The republicans wanted this so much that they are willing to cut off their noses to spite their face.
The republicans are willing to sacrifice seniors, veterans, the unemployed, the disabled, children, etc., just to see this black president fail. They are further attempting to bankrupt the US in an effort to abolish Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. In this process of eliminating these entitlements the republicans will want to privatize all much of government as possible by allowing their puppeteers, the major corporations and wealthiest individuals, to take over and profit through the grief and suffering of the people.
I would like to think that President Obama could have done a better job but I must remember the administration he followed. He followed the worst president in history who gave irresponsible tax breaks the the wealthiest people and corporations. Involved the US in an unnecessary war with Iraq killing 5000 Americans and 500,000 Iraqi's and costing a fortune that is unaccounted for. Under GW Bush jobs left the US by the boat load, unemployment soared, and markets collapsed. Considering all that President Obama had to deal with and then coupled with working with a group of arrogant closest racist calling themselves the new republicans it is a miracle that he accomplished anything.
No one cares that Obama is black. That isn't why people don't like him. They don't like him because he spends our money like a drunken sailor. The debt will be 16 trillion (or more) by the end of his term. This government's out of control spending needs to be reigned in.

More debt = More printing of "paper money" = More inflation = Poorer middle class

Last edited by h152cc2; 07-19-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
No one cares that Obama is black. That isn't why people don't like him. They don't like him because he spends our money like a drunken sailor.
REALLY? Then you might want to explain the outright hate directed towards him before he was even elected. Deny all you wish but I know for a FACT that plenty of people hate the man simply due to the color of his skin. Disgree with his policies using the facts, that is your right and freedom to express, but anyone honest knows there are plenty that do not like the man due to two simple reasons, he is black and he is a Democrat. For me that is Never enough, disliking a politician, or anyone else for that matter, based only on their skin color is illogical and ignorant at best. Voting straight ticket is just stupid, but hey people are allowed to be who they are, after all it is a free country.
Casper

Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
REALLY? Then you might want to explain the outright hate directed towards him before he was even elected.
And I suppose the outright hatred directed at Sarah Palin is because she is a woman or because she is white? Certainly it has nothing to do with her ideas and stances on issues...

Also, I assume the outright hatred directed towards Bush from the left was because he was white right? Give me a break.

This is 2011, racism isn't prevalent like it was in 1960. Sure, racists exist here and there, but it is absolutely stupid to assume just because someone dislike's Obama's out of control spending, and his dealings in global affairs-- they must be a racist.

So once again I say-- no one cares what Obama's race is. They are angry at him because his policies are driving us into great depression 2.0.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
If you think "reality" is running up huge deficits, invading countries with no purpose, and allowing the poor and middle class to suffer through inflation, than yeah, I guess Ron Paul isn't rooted in "reality."
I think him not being based in reality has to deal with his assumption that people are nicer and more generous than what is true. He wants to give a lot of power to local people, governments, and institutions believing that they will do what is right. I have seen him speak plenty of times regarding healthcare specifically and that doctors should be able to set their own prices. This sounds good to some, but who is to say that all doctors won't ban together and charge an arm and a leg (literally) for their services. This is only one example. Another would be education on the local level. I know where I live that there are large amounts of religious people, they could get together and say that all public schools will be religious schools. If I didn't make enough money to move, I'd have to endure my kids being indoctrinated at school because of a majority rule situation. This is what I am speaking about in not being rooted in reality.

I also do not believe he is a bridge builder. Plenty of you have described him as "Dr. No" and it would not be a good idea IMO of having someone as president who cannot compromise on anything that doesn't fit his/her "principals."

I don't think he is horrible, I actually think he seems okay, but I just don't really have faith that he would be a leader who can get anything done.

I don't like everything Obama does either but at least he can compromise with the other side (too much IMO actually).

Quote:
And I suppose the outright hatred directed at Sarah Palin is because she is a woman or because she is white? Certainly it has nothing to do with her ideas and stances on issues...

Also, I assume the outright hatred directed towards Bush from the left was because he was white right? Give me a break.

This is 2011, racism isn't prevalent like it was in 1960. Sure, racists exist here and there, but it is absolutely stupid to assume just because someone dislike's Obama's out of control spending, and his dealings in global affairs-- they must be a racist.

So once again I say-- no one cares what Obama's race is. They are angry at him because his policies are driving us into great depression 2.0.
I truly believe people hate Sarah Palin because of her ignorance.

I don't think a large percentage of people hate the president because he is black, but I don't doubt that there are people out there that do and are angry he is president. Not thinking that anyone in the country hates him because he is black is another example of not being rooted in reality. We do still have skinheads in America. I'm sure they hate his blackness.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
first off: talk about race bating: his color has little to do with his ability to run the country.There will always be bigots in the world, that goes for both sides I will add. Not a single Republican has suggested privatizing more than a couple % of one SS and then by choice only. The war, do your homework, before you post garbage, who approved the war and who kept funding it? The worst Pres in history? That will be a matter for the historians to decide. At this point he isn't considered anywhere near the worst and historians are noted for being on the liberal side. Now we will discuss the unemployment: it was 7.1% when Bush left office? What is it today? The tax rate for corporations, do you have any idea how America stands on this compared to other countries? What closet racists are you referring to and where is your proof?

It is one thing to have passionate political views, with honest facts to back them up. Many on this forum can do that and this is what makes for interesting and intelligent debates, it is another when someone posts things that are down right false. It shows a complete lack of political and government knowledge.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think him not being based in reality has to deal with his assumption that people are nicer and more generous than what is true. He wants to give a lot of power to local people, governments, and institutions believing that they will do what is right. I have seen him speak plenty of times regarding healthcare specifically and that doctors should be able to set their own prices. This sounds good to some, but who is to say that all doctors won't ban together and charge an arm and a leg (literally) for their services. This is only one example. Another would be education on the local level. I know where I live that there are large amounts of religious people, they could get together and say that all public schools will be religious schools. If I didn't make enough money to move, I'd have to endure my kids being indoctrinated at school because of a majority rule situation. This is what I am speaking about in not being rooted in reality.

I also do not believe he is a bridge builder. Plenty of you have described him as "Dr. No" and it would not be a good idea IMO of having someone as president who cannot compromise on anything that doesn't fit his/her "principals."

I don't think he is horrible, I actually think he seems okay, but I just don't really have faith that he would be a leader who can get anything done.

I don't like everything Obama does either but at least he can compromise with the other side (too much IMO actually).

I truly believe people hate Sarah Palin because of her ignorance.

I don't think a large percentage of people hate the president because he is black, but I don't doubt that there are people out there that do and are angry he is president. Not thinking that anyone in the country hates him because he is black is another example of not being rooted in reality. We do still have skinheads in America. I'm sure they hate his blackness.
I do not see him as a compromiser at all. I do believe there are some who do have problems with his being black, we will always have bigotry and racism in the world.

As for people like Sarah Palin: I do think many libs hate her because she is an attractive, white, successful woman that is a conservative and mother of five including a special needs child. I also do not think she is stupid, but naive.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually it is liberals who are NOT rooted in reality for assuming that just because someone disagrees with Obama or dislikes Obama they must be a racist.

There are probably just as many people who dislike Obama because of his race as there are people who dislike Sarah Palin because of her race. We do still have Black Panthers in America.

The fact is, the majority-- I'd wager at least 99.9% of people couldn't give a rats ass what color Obama is. However, 50% of Liberals like to bring up Obama's race. Don't you see a discrepancy there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections