Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Well the Republicans weren't "holding us back" during the first two years of Obama's term. The Dems had complete control. And how did that work put for us? In two and a half years Obama and the Dems added more to the national debt than Bush did in eight. It's that spending spree that has pushed us to the brink of insolvency. The only thing restraining the big spenders is the Republican House. You should be thanking them.
Learn how much the Iraq war cost and then get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The Republian party was high jacked by people who do not know the truth of God's written word, but profess to love him/her more than anything in the world. That's before they try to get their state to take out life insurance of retired teachers or cut granny off of her 700/month SS check.

This election will be interesting. If you nominate Huntsman there is a 50/50 chance I will vote for him. If not, I'll vote Obama. Hell will freeze before I vote for one of the others.
You speak about the truth of God's written word and then refer to God as "him/her?"

Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
LOL!!!

Old rich white men run everything. You can take that to the BANK.

They will gladly let you succeed in making them even richer though! Forget starting your own business. Look into a franchise. Can't afford it? Ooops.
No thanks, don't need a franchise, already COO of a large telcom firm with 50% ownership.....

The point is, the Dems think that black people are less then white people. they think that black people can not live comfortably without entitlement programs and welfare. Sorry, but don't need them. Made it in life without them.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I can't shake my belief that the citizens of the US vote in the guy who appears to have a steady hand on the steering wheel.

15 months is a very long time in politics- long enough to see a upturn for the better in jobs, and long enough to see a upturn in the housing market. If either or both happen, the Republicans could be in trouble by the time the primaries really get going.

Romney stays as high as he is in the polls because he's managed to stay above the religious/party purity fray that's going on right now, but he reminds me of McCain; the last guy in the field who seems like someone both parties and the indies can vote for.
Except he's not the only one. Huntsman is fresher, smarter, quicker on his feet, and has more on-the-ground knowledge of Washington. I think he's a better 'last ditch' candidate than Romney.

We haven't seen him really do his stuff yet. If he makes it into the primaries, we will.

Both parties got Obama wrong. From the first, he has been a cautious centrist, not the liberal he is thought to be. He has also wasted far too much time and effort trying to reach conciliation in a Congress that simply won't conciliate. Huntsman may have greater abilities in this, and he is also a centrist.
For sure, Huntsman is a conservative in the classic term. He would not do any crazy measures or say crazy things, but he would steer the US more conservently. He is more like Ronald Reagan and Eisenhower than anyone we have seen yet. He is a real dark horse now, but time will tell.

The Republican party has a choice- it can either splinter in half, or it can come together and unite in a way it hasn't been able to do this entire term. I think this election will tell the tale, as all citizens are equally tired of politics as usual.
The Repubs are going to have to show up with some plans on how they will get us out of the dumps this time. They are going to have to show the country that they can actually lead, not just oppose. To do that, they are going to need someone like Huntsman, not a fire-breathing ideologue.

Personally, I don't think it's gonna happen. The Republicans would rather set their hair on fire than win right now, and the base is not trying to reach out to anyone but themselves. Until they can make themselves more attractive to the Big Middle, I don't think they have much of a chance.
I see you're still putting your money on compassionate conservatism. How did that work out for Repubicans and the country as a whole the last time around? What you really want is Democrat-lite. To paraphrase Harry Truman, when given a choice between a Democrat and a Democrat the people will vote for the Democrat every time.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have to say that I share your reservations. I was raised Republican and it wasn't until President Reagan that I moved to the Democrats, but until about ten years ago I still had a lot of respect for the GOP. No longer.

I'd like to believe that we are only seeing the extremists, but in the absence of no other GOP voice of reason raised, I've come to believe the reasonable, far-sighted ones have joined me in the exodus.

America needs a strong two-party system to remain politically viable. The independents are too fractured and self-interested to look at the BIG picture where America is part of a global entity -- not a pinnacle to the universe.

Bottom line: American's need to start thinking for themselves and stop sucking down the paid advertising currently masked as news. We need to use the tools available to us to look at what their elected (or candidates) have done, are doing, and the results. Until they start in this direction -- and VOTE, they will continue to be sheep in the jaws of the few, the audacious, and the self-interested.
Well if you voted for Jimmy Carter and the 1980 status quo, that tells us a lot about your lack of insight.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Yep-- pretty much everything you just said.

I'll go one step further.... the elite that control the economy are sick of Obama. He's not playing ball the way they want him to, AND he's black. There will be no appearance (read: MEDIA ILLUSIONS) that the economy can/is getting better under Obama's watch because they want the average Joe to blame Obama for everything wrong in their lives. Meanwhile the truth is Obama has actually been trying to work for the people.

Ultimately though, all the negative crap they try to throw on Obama won't work, because we still have a two party system, and the Republican party as I said in my first post is a complete joke. I mean this is now a party that actually put Sarah Palin on the ticket. And they STILL talk about her. Nuff said.
What does it say about the Democrat Party that they put a dunce like Joe Biden on the ticket?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You speak about the truth of God's written word and then refer to God as "him/her?"
I don't put myself out to be Christian. I do not believe God exists in the way Christians believe. But I certainly believe there are opposing forces or spirits in this world. Good/Evil, etc. That cannot be proven one way or the other, and I will not engage in a conversation on faith. It's pointless.

Do you disagree with my post about these extreme Christians? The point is, people who present themselves to the world as Christian damn well better be living within the confines of their beliefs. I find that a person who tells the world they are Christian then do horrendous acts, or try to do horrific things (like the death insurance for TX teachers that Perry was involved in trying to get) are much, much worse than people who do not claim to be Christian.

One of my life philosophies: "If you say you're going to do something, then do it, or don't say you're going to do it." It's really simple: just live life, and treat other living creatures in a manner you would expect to be fair, reasonable and ethical.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post

The point is, the Dems think that black people are less then white people. they think that black people can not live comfortably without entitlement programs and welfare. Sorry, but don't need them. Made it in life without them.
Aaah, one of those "anti-welfare" people who think it's all blacks getting welfare and it's ruining the country.

LMAO!

Welfare money is a *drop in the bucket* dude. It really means very little except it keeps some poverty level people and children from living on the street.

It's a racists excuse to rant about "government" -- but trust me, your ignorance is showing. Like I said before "entitlement programs (for the poor) and welfare" is a drop in the bucket. Do some research. Your argument is a smoke screen.

edit to add-- while your at it, check out the "entitlements" for the ubber-rich. Now those are some BIG numbers, REALLY BIG numbers.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Aaah, one of those "anti-welfare" people who think it's all blacks getting welfare and it's ruining the country.

LMAO!

Welfare money is a *drop in the bucket* dude. It really means very little except it keeps some poverty level people and children from living on the street.

It's a racists excuse to rant about "government" -- but trust me, your ignorance is showing. Like I said before "entitlement programs (for the poor) and welfare" is a drop in the bucket. Do some research. Your argument is a smoke screen.

edit to add-- while your at it, check out the "entitlements" for the ubber-rich. Now those are some BIG numbers, REALLY BIG numbers.
LMAO

your ignorance and failure to comprehend simple english is showing.

For one, no one said anything about all blacks getting welfare.. since, like I said, for me and my family we are not getting welfare.

Also it has nothing to do with the money that is being spent, what it does have to do with is the fact that the Democrats think welfare is about black people. When Republicans want welfare reform, the Dems say it is racist against blacks. Well the only way that reform to welfare is racist against blacks is if you believe welfare is for black people. I don't like the racism towards blacks from the Democrats and I never will.

My argument can't be this smoke screen you are talking about, since my argument has nothing to do with money. It has to do with the perception of black people from the Democrats.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post

My argument can't be this smoke screen you are talking about, since my argument has nothing to do with money. It has to do with the perception of black people from the Democrats.
Are you aware that Democrats elected a black president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections