Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,083,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Are you aware that Democrats elected a black president?
No I am not, I am aware that the United States of America elected a man who was half white and half black. I am also aware that he caters to the racist ideology of the Democrat Party. I am also aware that he tries to do everything in his and his administrations party to create as many racial problems as he can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Of course you see Huntsman as a better candidate - he worked for Obama, said Hillary Clinton is personable and has more charisma than her husband, told Barack Obama he was remarkable and Harry Reid practically endorsed him.
The reasons I like Huntsman have absolutely nothing to do with any of those things. Don't make assumptions like that.

Quote:
Now do you understand why he's having a hard time breaking 2 percent in the polls of the GOP primary candidates?
I don't think that has anything to do with it, Laura. Now calm down. There's no need to get all worked up over the idea that we have a difference opionion.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I assume you still have a job. Good for you and the heck with the whiners without jobs.
I'm retired, thanks. Best job I ever had!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You speak about the truth of God's written word and then refer to God as "him/her?"
What on earth does this have to do with anything? We aren't electing a Pastor-in-Chief here.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
I see you're still putting your money on compassionate conservatism. How did that work out for Repubicans and the country as a whole the last time around? What you really want is Democrat-lite. To paraphrase Harry Truman, when given a choice between a Democrat and a Democrat the people will vote for the Democrat every time.
Maybe. I was a conservative until Reagan. After starving to death in my small business when 'trickle down' didn't trickle down, I gave up the Republican party for good.

I am also an Idahoan, and all of us are more conservative here than in other states. If you think the liberal-conservative fights are bad where you live, come up and spend some time here. Liberals in Idaho are like the paratroopers- always outnumbered, always surrounded.

But I am anything but a compassionate conservative. I believe that nothing much is going to get accomplished now in Congress unless there is some tectonic shift in the Great Divide. Unless that happens, I stick with moderation. The 2010 new Repubs shot themselves in the foot big time, but the inchoate rage that's infecting both parties isn't going to calm down unless something drastic happens fast that improves the job situation, and the government isn't very capable of moving fast very often.

The only thing that will break the stalemate is compromise. It is going to take us all a long time to learn how to compromise again, and a strong liberal or conservative policy is not going to help that right now. I believe people want reassurance more than fear, and the most reassuring candidate will win, not the one who creates the most fear. Fear only works when most folks aren't deeply afraid of very much, and we are all fearful of something or other right now.

Make no mistake- I plan to vote for Obama again. Huntsman is a guy I'm familiar with, as I live close to Utah, but he is not my first choice. He is the only Republican I could vote for, but I don't expect he will make it as far as the primaries. I also do not think he would accept being Romney's VP, either. And, as far as that goes, I don't think Romney will be the Repub candidate- people don't hate him or love him enough.

My odds are on the Republicans nominating another loser, and watching the party break up around 2016. What happens after that is anybody's guess.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-27-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,587,648 times
Default What happened to the Republican party?

They've been taken over by religious extremists.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
They've been taken over by religious extremists.
I think that's actually true if you expand the definition of "religious".

Politics as religion in America
How Conservatism has been converted into a religious belief, and now compromise doesn't have a prayer.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 AM

485 posts, read 1,456,015 times
I would ask the question from the other side-What has happened to the Democratic Party?
I am an independent who has historically voted for as many Democrats as Republicans over my long history of voting in presidential elections. However, while I see a number of up and coming leaders on the republican side I see nothing on the democratic side. I asked the question earlier who the democrats had to offer if there was a challenge to Obama in the democratic primary. The only options offered were either Hillary or Howard Dean. Not a lot to choose from if you are a moderate. Not any more up for a Clinton dynasty than I am for a Bush one. And Dean is TOO far over the top! Is that all there is?? Quite frankly before the democrats start pointing fingers may be they should look in the mirror! Personally I think that BOTH parties have moved too far to their respective sides and for a moderate that leaves me only the decision of whether I want to vote for another 4 years of this. To that I say a resounding NO!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM

838 posts, read 922,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I think Obama is doing a fine job considering all he inherited and all he continues to deal with, so I have no problem with him, and I see him as very intelligent, sane and compassionate. That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider an even better candidate.

But when I look at what the Republican party has to offer, it's a GIVEN I will vote for Obama!!

Aside from racist morons and the small percentage of people who control the wealth and want to keep it that way.... who in their right mind would consider any of the republican candidates?? They are all WACKO!

I predict that as the younger generations come through the ranks with less and less racism and more awareness of the world around them, soon the high powered neo-con Republicans will be no more.... and since there isn't anything else anymore it will be bye-bye Republican party.

After Obama's next term, we just might see the first Independent president
What happened? Globalism, 3 country merge. Both parties are controlled by elite globalists, they control the banks and corporations and media. Most all officials whether Congress or governors are members of the Foreign Relations Committee who are globalists. Not Ron Paul, he is non-globalist and not a member of this FRC.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
You would see all kinds of Democrats running if there was not a Democrat incumbent. Why start something where you know there will be no success.
I'm surprised so many democrats are voicing their concern over Obama.
At least most of the Dems will confess to buying a pig in a poke. But they are stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections