Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:38 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times

Advertisements

Actually, the social security program was/is based on actuarial tables just like the insurance companies. It is a scientifically sound program. The reason it is in trouble, is because of it being robbed over and over for things that were never intended to be included. For example, Clinton took billions from the Social Security trust fund to repay the federal deficit to make his fiscal record look better. There is also a lot of fraud in the social security/Medicare system that hurts it. This is what needs to be fixed.

Social Security as it was meant to be administered, is not a "Ponzi scheme". Even in it's current state, people in their late 20's and 30's will receive 80% of what they put into it at retirement age...which gets further and futher out.

If social security is to be abolished, that is fine, as long as each person receives back the money they have paid in plus interest. That is the only way it would be legal in my opinion. Social security is not an entitlement program like welfare and Medicaid. It is something those that receive it, have paid into their entire working lives. It just needs modernizing and protecting from those overseeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and able to vote over and over? any poll that is this lopsided is bogus.

Nita

It would only let me vote once

Seriously, I try to vote more than once, to see if the poll is credible.
This one would not let me vote multiple times.

As far as Social Security.... I like Galveston's retirement plan, where in the 1980's dropped out of SS and they are going to be way better off than a tiny SS check a month.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It will hurt him with those older voters who weren't sold on him to begin with, but those that were already backing him, seem to still be. I find it surprising myself.

If and when he explains how Galveston Texas does it after dropping out of Social Security in the 1980's, and he wants to do that to the national retirement funding, he will get overwhelming support.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Total of 216,809 votes

Ron Paul
58.4%
(126,628 votes)

Mitt Romney
14.1%
(30,602 votes)

Rick Perry
11.9%
(25,868 votes)

Jon Huntsman
6%
(12,916 votes)

Newt Gingrich
4%
(8,607 votes)

Herman Cain
2.9%
(6,330 votes)

Michele Bachmann
1.8%
(3,895 votes)

Rick Santorum
0.9%
(1,963 votes

People are waking up.

This should scare the crap out of the Neocon RINO's and the Progressive parasites.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Actually, the social security program was/is based on actuarial tables just like the insurance companies. It is a scientifically sound program. The reason it is in trouble, is because of it being robbed over and over for things that were never intended to be included. For example, Clinton took billions from the Social Security trust fund to repay the federal deficit to make his fiscal record look better. There is also a lot of fraud in the social security/Medicare system that hurts it. This is what needs to be fixed.

Social Security as it was meant to be administered, is not a "Ponzi scheme". Even in it's current state, people in their late 20's and 30's will receive 80% of what they put into it at retirement age...which gets further and futher out.

If social security is to be abolished, that is fine, as long as each person receives back the money they have paid in plus interest. That is the only way it would be legal in my opinion. Social security is not an entitlement program like welfare and Medicaid. It is something those that receive it, have paid into their entire working lives. It just needs modernizing and protecting from those overseeing it.
of course everyone has a right to his/her investment back but SS is not going to be gutted, not ever. There will be some serious changes made in the future, talking money from the fund was the starting of the problem, but not the entire problem.

Nita

Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It would only let me vote once

Seriously, I try to vote more than once, to see if the poll is credible.
This one would not let me vote multiple times.

As far as Social Security.... I like Galveston's retirement plan, where in the 1980's dropped out of SS and they are going to be way better off than a tiny SS check a month.
WEll, I really do not know how it happened, this shows how fickle the net can be. I did vote twice, once for Romney and once for Perry, just to see and it took both. At least you did not call me a liar..

Nita

Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If and when he explains how Galveston Texas does it after dropping out of Social Security in the 1980's, and he wants to do that to the national retirement funding, he will get overwhelming support.

Well, he better start explaining it then. When George Bush wanted to privatize social security, which I agreed with, he got no support at all.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
of course everyone has a right to his/her investment back but SS is not going to be gutted, not ever. There will be some serious changes made in the future, talking money from the fund was the starting of the problem, but not the entire problem.

Nita

Social security has been gutted basically by using the money for everything, but for what it was intended. It definitley needs to fixed. However, Perry did not talk about fixing it, he is about states being allowed to opt out of it. What will be the future of the program if that happens?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
WEll, I really do not know how it happened, this shows how fickle the net can be. I did vote twice, once for Romney and once for Perry, just to see and it took both. At least you did not call me a liar..

Nita

When I go back there, it has my vote right there. I can't vote again.
I cleared my history and cache, logged back in and it said Ron Paul, which is who I voted for. I could not vote again.

I can't make it happen.
Explain to me how you did it? Please!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
When I go back there, it has my vote right there. I can't vote again.
I cleared my history and cache, logged back in and it said Ron Paul, which is who I voted for. I could not vote again.

I can't make it happen.
Explain to me how you did it? Please!
Cookies. Clear your cookies. Want to vote an unlimited amount of times? Go to your Tools-->Options-->Privacy->Accept cookies from sites and turn that off (Mozilla, other browsers similar)

Now have fun Paul supporters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections