Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.
Unfortunately, it is the loons and outliers that make ratings and that's all that seems to interest the MSM.
From an optimistic point of view, perhaps many democrats and independents may register to vote in the Repbulican primaries. Perhaps he has a shot in New Hampshire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
so if I'm not pleased with Obama but I'm not an extreme conservative, I must be pigeonholed into voting for the Republican frontrunner, No moderate choices? How lame.

So you are basically saying I should go woth the establishment because it's for my own good. Hells No Nita, I can think for myself thank you. I was living in Mass. when Romney was governor. I don't trust him nor do I believe much of what he says. Hard to know what his true colors really are. He did a mighty fine job of spin doctering his way out of the question regarding Massachusetts Health Care Reform. It's mandated for goodness sake, with a $900 penalty! Rick Perry's colors are being exposed already and he's too far out there also and doesn't seem rational as if Texas were just flawless right now, I'm not buying it (https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...errys-mad.html). Looks like it will be the choice between lesser of two evils, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
No, what I am saying is: if you think his ideas are so good, you are obviously not a true Republican or main stream anyway. His ideas, like others are saying, fit closer to the Democrats.

Nita

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, what I am saying is: if you think his ideas are so good, you are obviously not a true Republican or main stream anyway. His ideas, like others are saying, fit closer to the Democrats.

Nita
That's fine, but I am pondering registering to vote in the Republican primaries as I'd prefer him over Obama right now. He seems a lot more capable with working on both sides of the aisle, and Obama's lets make nice with the Republicans clearly isn't working too well. I know I'm not alone in settling for the choice between lesser of two evils, damned if you do, damned if you don't mantra. I'd rather court naive optimism than settle into the inertia of apathy.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
No kidding, it's our downfall really, these divisive extremes. I hate it.

After last years oil spill, I'm not exactly buying into the drill baby drill philosophy. God forbid we get more innovative to suit our energy needs instead of screwing future generations. I appreciate that he can actually think for himself and not tow the party line creationism and anti-science philosophies.
That's the latest catch phrase isn't it? "Anti-science". So, just to clarify, if you are not a true believer on man-made climate change, you are anti-science?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
That's the latest catch phrase isn't it? "Anti-science". So, just to clarify, if you are not a true believer on man-made climate change, you are anti-science?
Ugghhh, back to pigeonholing. Yes I would call creationism an anti-science philosophy. Climate change is debatable, though I do think there has to be some sort of cause and effect with the rapid melting of polar ice caps. However, there must be a way to meet in the middle where oil companies are more environmentally concious so they don't poison the oceans (the BP oil spill can not be downplayed), and more innovation for green energy which someday could evolve into a profitable industry.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
John Huntsman needs to crawl back under the Prog rock he has been hiding under for the last few years.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
John Huntsman needs to crawl back under the Prog rock he has been hiding under for the last few years.
.....and this is why a lot of the republican base is considered a joke.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
That's fine, but I am pondering registering to vote in the Republican primaries as I'd prefer him over Obama right now. He seems a lot more capable with working on both sides of the aisle, and Obama's lets make nice with the Republicans clearly isn't working too well. I know I'm not alone in settling for the choice between lesser of two evils, damned if you do, damned if you don't mantra. I'd rather court naive optimism than settle into the inertia of apathy.
ok and for that I admire you. We have only done what you are thinking of doing one time. In 1966 we could not bring ourselves to support Reagan (I know, for those who know me they find this hard to believe) we also couldn't support Pat Brown for Governor of Ca so we switched to the Democrat side, in the primary to vote for Sam Yorty. Of course he didn't get the nomination, we did support Reagan in the general election and the rest is history. Within a few years we were living in Sac and hubby was working for Reagan.

Would I ever switch to support someone just so they would get the nomination and make it easier for my side to win? No, but if you really believe in the candidate there is nothing wrong with re-registering to vote in the primry.

Nita

Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Go ahead an lable Huntsman a democrat if you will (falling by the exteme wayside as the media loves to exploit), but it's his moderate views that make him more electable to the independent voters and quite frankly has more logic and sanity than the other candidates.

Ron Paul has a lot of brilliant ideas, and some not so brilliant. He should be elected to a higher office and get more of a media voice, yes. However he's not electable, doesn't articulate himself very well, and he's too old for the oval office.
Hilarious. The GOP has to put someone up with moderate views, but Obama can be as extreme left as he wants.

Nice try, but if you all love that dem so much, you nominate him.

Huntsman - John Edwards 2.0, complete with slimy personality, and the liberals fawning all over him.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Hilarious. The GOP has to put someone up with moderate views, but Obama can be as extreme left as he wants.

Nice try, but if you all love that dem so much, you nominate him.

Huntsman - John Edwards 2.0, complete with slimy personality, and the liberals fawning all over him.
well folks, I guess according to this anything between the left of Castro and the right of Atilla the Hun just isn't going to cut it. Apparently Huntsman must be breeding a love child behind the scenes as we speak.

This is the kind of extremism in America that is really so sad and puts the country into political gridlock, and will surely ramp up other world economies to prosper ahead of us because the left and right extreme cards have becomes like a dog chasing its own tail.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections